Notices

prop clearence on 102"

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 09:21 PM
Tricktrack
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prop clearence on 102"

I can understand the fact of having the gear built with some give for softer landings, but why in the world is there only 2" of clearence when installed with the recommended mounting?
Old 04-21-2006, 03:19 AM
Jason Arnold

Default RE: prop clearence on 102"

Hi Tricktrack,

Might help if you say what size prop you're using..

Cheers
Jason.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:21 PM
Rezagh
My Feedback: (73)

Hi Everyone, I am qouting Quique's responce below:

The 102' Yak54 it is not a sport airplane it is an airplane that has been designed for top aerobatic competition with a relative low cost. As you all know weight it is a very important factor at the time to top perform. The landing gear on the 102" has enough prop clearance for a 27" prop this is the way I even fly my new turbo prop on grass. We could made the gear longer but that could cost more weight. The weight it is not only because the weight of the gear is longer it is also because if it is longer the gear has to be thicker and wider to be stronger because the longer legs (moment it is bigger) also the landing gear mount has to be stronger in order to handle better the gear. So when you add all that up cost more weight and the flying performance loss.
Our main spirit on all our airplane design it is to have the best flying performance to compete in unlimited (preciscion or 3D) at low cost. We are using conventional matherial to keep cost low and make the airplane more affordable for most people.
Our Yak54 102" it is also an excellent sport airplane as many modellers just use them for fun, but even for those that are sport modeller needs to keep in mind they own a top competition airplane and as any other competition machine it needs to be handle with a bit more care.
Our bussines filosophy: top flying performance,light airplanes, airplanes made for competition at low cost. Let me give you a little sample. If you own a potentially winning indy car, you will have best top speed, best quality turn, best braking, etc, but at same time you want the best car to drive home?. With this sample I want to mean that our Yak54 102" it is a top performer with potential to win top aerobatic competition as it proved but as all in life if you win something you give something and we do our best to do not give our flying performance, that is our choice.
For example in our 102" we advice to ad some clear silicone in the canopy because the canopy without it could crack is because original canopy it is the lightest we could go but now we need the silicone to make it safer and a bit stronger, so like Wayne says always it is better to add than to take weight out.

Thank you all for your time and I am sorry for the long email. For those going to Top Gun I hope to see you then if not I will see you at Joe Nall.

One more time thank you all for the great support to our product and for the communication that we are having through our supporting forum. Thanks to the outstanding job that my friend Reza is giving to all of us.

Take care,

Quique Somenzini
Old 04-26-2006, 10:42 AM
bdunsire

Sorry about the hi-jack here..

<<For example in our 102" we advice to ad some clear silicone in the canopy because the canopy without it could crack is because original canopy it is the lightest we could go but now we need the silicone to make it safer and a bit stronger>>

This is the first I've ever heard or read about this...

I see a scary amount of movement in the canopy at idle with my 102" (DA100) - and I would love to take any steps needed to ensure the canopy will not fail..

Please give more detail on the silicone - where to apply? how? etc?

(Also - I would guess I was the one that started the concern about the limited ground clearance - our grass runways here in the Pacific Northwest need mowing a couple of times a week at this time of year - and even taxiing results in green prop tips if the grass is too long - a taxi idle, a few bumps on the runway, and soft gear = green prop tips)
Old 04-26-2006, 11:27 AM
Rezagh
My Feedback: (73)

bdunsire,

Apply a bid of clear silicon on the bottom of the canopy hatch where ply wood and canopy are attached. I mean the plywood that goes horizontally from left to right. Just a small bid of silicon will help absorb the vibration.

Thank you,
Reza
Quique's Aircraft Support