Search
Notices

85" Yak and 2.4 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 07:27 PM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Default 85" Yak and 2.4 Engine

Alright, the more power guys will jump on me for this, but anyone have an honest opinion about using an FPE 2.4 for this plane? Yes, less power than a DA-50, but maybe not too terribly much less? Engine swings an APC 20x10 at a solid 7K. Haven't tried a 22x8, which is about as far as I'd want to push that engine, but it should handle it, especially if I upgrade the ignition to the better CH version. Engine weights the same as a DA-50. Probably too much engine for the 73" version, and am a little reluctant to spend the $500 for the DA (that money has to go for servos!). Most of my flying is pattern, with basic 3D attempted. So how would this combination do in IMAC??? Or would I regret it????

Ted
Old 06-26-2006, 10:18 PM
Rezagh
My Feedback: (73)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 85" Yak and 2.4 Engine

Hi Ted,

I don't think you would enjoy it. It will fly with mostly above 3/4 throttle. I think with the money you will be spending on servos and plane, you deserve to have a plane that gives you some joy, that engine will not be able to give you the performance one is required to do IMAC routines.

Thank you for your question,
Reza
Quique's Aircraft Support
Old 06-27-2006, 06:42 PM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Thanks Reza -
I thought that might be the answer, but in these days of huge additional amounts of power I thought that just perhaps....guess it's time to reprioritize the finances for that DA50!

Ted

Old 06-29-2006, 02:18 PM
ghicken

I am about to purchase my first giant scale airplane even though i have been flying for over 30 years. I have only been able to maintain my interest by doing a lot of 3D flying. I really want a top quality 3D giant scale. I have been looking at the QQ 85" Yak and a Extra 300L.
First thing I need to know is what are the strongest 3D flying points of the Yak over the Extra and the second thing I need to know is whether the DA 50 will have plenty of pull out power at 4500' of altitude. I flew for the last 30 years in Califorrnia at sea level and was astonished at how my once powerful planes are now dogs because of the altitude here in Utah. I want to hover at half throttle and not just be able to barely hang on. Can anyone tell me if the Yak needs a bigger motor or not? Thx
Old 06-29-2006, 03:13 PM
Rezagh

Hi There,

First of all let me point out some of the differences between Yaks and Extra. 1. Is the amount of coupling that an Extra has in knife edges. On most Extras you need more than 5 percent mix to hold a knife edge straight, on my Comp-Arf Extra 330L I had 11% mix but Yaks mostly show a lot less coupling that can easily be handled without any mixes or 1-2% mix. 2. Rolls are very axial with Yaks. 3. Inverted on a very well balanced Yak need very little input to maintain level flight.

QQ-Yaks are extremely fit for any 3D maneuver and after your first flight, you feel that plane is helping you fly better and is not limiting your piloting skills at all.

As far as your altitude goes, I think DA50 will be affected by that but I am not sure how much! I think you need an evolution 58 for that altitude.

Hope this answers some of your questions,
Reza
Quique's Aircraft Support
Old 06-29-2006, 07:06 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

The Yak flies sooo nicely... I remember when I went out (after a few trim flights...very few) to set up mixes for knife edge..... I was amazed how little it needed....

and for the first poster....
everyone talks about power for 3D... in my very humble opinion... I use more high throttle flying IMAC than I do 3D... except for pull out of a hover (which this YAk rockets out of with a DA50, there is very little full throttle with 3D.... but in IMAC, there are loooooong uplines and biiiiiiig 5/8th loops, etc. etc. etc that need quite a bit of power....
the DA handles that wonderfully........

you just might not be happy with the smaller engine... it would fly the plane, but it just wouldn't shine like this airframe can.......
Old 06-29-2006, 09:46 PM
Jason Arnold

Exeter_Acres,

What sort of mixing are you talking about for knife edge flight? I've never used a mixer for knife edge or for any other function for that matter.

Cheers
Jason.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:32 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

many airplanes "couple" meaning when you fly a knife edge (or apply rudder) the plane will either want to roll one way or the other, or it will want to climb or dive (usually dive)

it is possible to just fly through it, ie: apply elevator and aileron while flying knife edge to keep it straight, but why not let the radio do it for you...
so create a mix to automatically apply a prescribed amount of elevator and rudder for you.

edges and extras tend to need quite a bit of mix, while the yak needs very little... it takes a few flights to get it all set up and each plane reacts differently

make sense?
Old 06-30-2006, 09:07 AM
Rezagh

Also guys, you can always leave the mix on. Don't need to turn it on or off. At least this what Quique and I have been doing.

Thank you,
Reza
Old 06-30-2006, 09:24 AM
shakes268

On mine, there is so little coupling that I don't even use a mix. Now, in high alpha knife edge it likes to pull to the canopy when it gets really slow and I have to work the elevator but in usual straight knife edge there isn't enough roll or pitch coupling for me to even bother with it.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:30 AM
Rezagh

Slow high alpha knife edges will have lots of coupling, it is inevitable because of P-factor (torque of the prop just like in torque roll). This is true on any plane.

Shakes, let me know where you find those cutter pins, I need to get me some too. I tell you what, I think body clips for RC cars and trucks work. I used to have a T-max and lots of body clips, I'll go check it out to see if the are good enough.

Talk to you later,
Reza
Old 07-03-2006, 11:25 PM
ghicken

I was not familiar with the evolution 58 but was shocked to see that it was listed as having 8.5 HP with only 8 more cc's than the DA-50. Is this really possible and is it a reliable engine. I do not care how much I spend as I want reliability and power. Anyone have experience with the evoltion 58 on their QQ Yak? Whatever I have to spend is okay with me. I have learned from sad experience if you go cheap you just sit a dink with the engine all the time. I want to fly - not tune engines. Thx