Search
Notices

Digital Servo programmer..

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 07:05 PM
EduardoC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digital Servo programmer..

Hello once again guys and galls, i in my exitedness of getting my first giant airplane, bought some HS 5955 servos (to match those recommended JR servos for the Yak '86) and i haven't recevied them yet, but the question is: Based on teh stats of the servos, they are more than needed for the airplane, so i have no problmes right?

and another question, it seems i need a digital servo programmer, do i? spending 150 more bucks on this will really be nasty.. alreeady spent lots and i have no airplane yet hhahahaha

Thanks agian.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Rezagh
My Feedback: (73)

Default RE: Digital Servo programmer..

Yes, servos are well within the specs plane is calling for. As far as programmer, I think you need them or better to say it will help you more but that's for others to make comment on. I don't use Hitec servos so I'm not really sure!

Thank you,
Reza
Old 03-07-2007, 09:13 PM
randy racer
My Feedback: (3)

i think you have made a great choise in servos. i have used JR only for several years but have had problems with them this year and am switching every thing i have to 5955's. some of the guys i fly with have switched all ready and with the programer they are able to match the servos without match boxes and elevator throws have been easy to get right all the way through the travel. also have almost no gear slop as seen in metal geared servos before. happy flying and good luck, you will love the QQ yak as i have all 5 i have had.

randy racer
Old 03-07-2007, 09:55 PM
EduardoC

So Randy, you really recommend that i get that servo programmer? Or it is ok if i dont... I mean, I bought a new radio (futaba 9CAP super, im a futaba lover (dont ask why)) and already investment in this nice piece of aircraft is getting a bit heavy (bought that nice duralite redundant battery you guys recommend) so i'd like to cut expenses a bit if possible, but if it is needed for a good performance of this aircraft, i will buyit, i just prefer not to. Thanks in advance! and same to you, nice flying.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:59 AM
randy racer
My Feedback: (3)

with the programer you can set center and end points on your servo not your radio. on duel elevators it has been almost impossible for me to get both sides to work together all of the way through the throw on high rates and low. at some point in the travel they will me off a little making the elevators work a little like ailerons. here a few of us went in together and bout a programer so it didn't cost anyone very much but i would buy one myself now that i know what they can do for me. go to downonthedeck.com and read up on it they have a lot of info there and i think you will see what i am trying to say.

randy
Old 03-08-2007, 08:31 AM
gdavisjr
My Feedback: (51)

EduardoC

It really depends on what you are trying to do... Which plane are you purchasing? How many servos are per surface? I think you are getting the smaller Yak. If so, does it use two servos per wing? I didn't go the QQ's site and double check. If so, then yes, a programmer would help keep those two servos in sync. If not, then you'll be able to plug each servo into separate channels setting up aileron differential and set end points and center via your 9CAP.

If you have a total of 2 servos total for ailerons (1 each wing), 2 servos on elevators (1 each side), then I'd say you don't need the programmer, just like you wouldn't need a matchbox if you were a JR guy. You can do everything you'd like with your transmitter. You'd simply set up your AILEVATOR mix (channels 2 and 7 I think) for your elevators and AIL-DIFF mix (channels 1 and 8 I think) up for your ailerons. Since each servo is on its own channel, you can go into the 9CAP and set each servos ATVs, Subtrims, etc.

However, if you have 4 aileron servos (2 each wing), then it would in fact help to buy the programmer and get the servos perfectly syncd up. YOu'd set the same mixes above, but you'd have to sync the servos on each independent wing to ensure they are not binding. In this case, you'd have 2 servos going to a specific channel and you can't program them separately with your transmitter to sync them up--2 servos for the right wing into channel 1, 2 servos for the left wings on channel 8. Again, memory could be off in terms of channel numbers, so definitely check the manual. Of course, you could still use JR's matchboxes even on the wings, but the beauty of the Hitecs are the fact that you can program them independently without having to buy separate matchboxes.

Email me if you have any questions.

Gerry
[email protected]
Old 03-08-2007, 08:49 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

NO --- you do not need a programmer.
Just use those servos like any other.
ORIGINAL: EduardoC

Hello once again guys and galls, i in my exitedness of getting my first giant airplane, bought some HS 5955 servos (to match those recommended JR servos for the Yak '86) and i haven't recevied them yet, but the question is: Based on teh stats of the servos, they are more than needed for the airplane, so i have no problmes right?

and another question, it seems i need a digital servo programmer, do i? spending 150 more bucks on this will really be nasty.. alreeady spent lots and i have no airplane yet hhahahaha

Thanks agian.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:41 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Edwardo

You do not need the programmer for the 85" Yak, but the programmer does allow you to set up a fail safe position within the digital servo's, so that you can fly PPM to ensue you have no interference problems before changing to PCM for piece of mind, alternativly go 2.4Ghz.

Mike
Old 03-08-2007, 02:41 PM
the3dpilot

Hi Guys,

Just a little something to add about the programmer. It does a great job, but when you centre the servo with the programmer and then connect the servo to a futaba receiver with zero sub trim and trim rate at center the centre moves on the servo because FUTABA transmit at 1504ms not exact 1500 for centre. Also if you set the end point with the programmer and then plug the servo into the receiver with 100% ATV set in the radio you wont get the same end point, you get less travel. It all works fine if you use a Hi-tech transmitter but many of use dont for one reason or another. So from my point of view I would use your radio to mix channels and not complicate things by using a programmer and at the same time save money.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:46 PM
EduardoC

cool, thanks a lot, everybody. Those answers prooved to be very useful, especially the channel mixing one. Thanks all, you just saved me 150 bucks :P.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Jason Arnold

Eduardo,

Remember that you'll need to reverse one of the elevator servos... This is where the programmer comes into it's own. On my 73" Yak I had uneven throws on the elevator halves. By using the programmer I have been able to correct this problem via end point adjustment.

IMHO the programmer is a worthwhile investment although they can be hard to get. I waited ~4 months for my LHS to get one and in the end I bought one on eBay. Got sick of waiting. It cost me $118 delivered which was less than the LHS anyway.

Cheers
Jason.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:59 PM
EduardoC

well, tower hobbies sells the hitec recommended servo programmer for these servos, reversing in the transmitter the servo won't do? I may buy it then... who knows now lol. I shall ask the all powerful wallet master, the father.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Jason Arnold

The spilt elevators are normally run with both servos on a Y lead. Some radios have mixers whereby two RX channels are used for each elevator servo. Similar to running two aileron servos on two channels. I have heard of people having issues with trim adjustment using this method on the elevator but can't confirm this. Another solution is to buy an inline servo reverser but this has it's own issues i.e. delay etc. The programmer is the best solution IMHO. If you don't want to buy one see if you can borrow one from a friend?

Manual reversal of a digital servo can be done but it requires the motor and pot wires to be reversed. Not a job for the faint hearted!

Cheers
Jason.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:25 AM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SERVO INFO : OK expert's, I am on the list for the new 86" Yak. Elevator and Aileron setup. OK to use the
" Y " harness on both? I am not a hover type, etc., but expect to do pattern maneuvers, start on beginner IMAC, etc. I will follow instructions for equipment, etc., in the QQ manual.

Thanks,
Vince

Old 03-09-2007, 08:35 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

DO NOT USE A REVERSER...

they are Evil!!!

to the original poster...

with the 9C, just use the Ailevator function and use Ch 2 and 8 for the elevator servos......( i think it is 2 and 8... double check that....)
Old 03-09-2007, 09:12 AM
crankpin

Aussi Knife Edge was talking about "reverser" on his last post. I am only inquiring about the "Y" harness on elevator and aileron. The radio I am using on this Yak is capable of 2-7 or 1-8, whatever combination needed for separate channels on these functions. Just trying to keep it simple. Is the "Y" harness the "reverser" you are advising on?

Where are you guy's purchasing the regulator, proper batteries, etc. ?

Thanks again.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:32 PM
Jason Arnold

Hi Crankpin,

Don't use a Y harness on your ailerons if you can help it... You are better off using two channels and a mixer for this if your radio is capable... By doing it this way you can introduce differential on your ailerons i.e. more up movement than down movement.

I use the Y harness on the elevators in my Yak and it works great but... to do this one servo needs to be reversed. I use a MPX Evo Tx and I don't think it has the mix for elevators on two channels. I'm sure the high end Futaba and JR radios do have this feature but I've heard of trim adjustment issues. Then again this could just be how it's set-up.

With digital servos the two channel set-up is probably better due to current drain & voltage drop i.e. current is passed through two connectors to the RX instead of one on a Y harness.

With regards to the inline servo reversers... I would not use one. Use the Y harness or two channel set-up.

Regards
Jason.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:36 PM
crankpin

Thanks Jason.

Vince
Hobe Sound, FL
Old 03-11-2007, 07:45 PM
EduardoC

thanks all again I may get this programmer, to use the 100% of features of such nice non cheap servos!
Old 03-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EduardoC,

I sent one of my Hitec 5645MG Digitals to Servo City and they used their programmer to reverse one of my servos and all they ask was that I pay the shipping both ways. Only cost $4.00 and some change. I normally buy from Servo City and have them reverse one but Tower had a good deal so I bought from them. I have always had one servo reversed and used a HD "Y" harness and never had an issue with servos not working the same. Maybe I've been lucky all these times.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:59 PM
EduardoC

ahhaha the problem is i live in Mexico :P. These are the times i'd love to live in the USA...