Community
Search
Notices
R/C Sky Diving Discuss all aspects of r/c sky diving and divers here!

Lift Meister

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 09:12 PM
goldenknight1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lift Meister

Jim I also noticed it takes a lot of rudder when lifing jumpers, it handles pretty good without jumpers. But if the rudder was exstened about one more inch I believe it would be a ***** cat on take off.
Steve would like for you too come to somerset also would like to compare notes with you and jim and gary v, aircraft handles like a trainer once in the air flies great. I am thinking of adding a piece of light metal about three inches long have about one inche sticking out on rudder do you think will this help on ground control.
BOB
Old 05-19-2007, 10:13 AM
R/C Skydiver
My Feedback: (3)

Bob,
The metal would probably work well. I added 2 in (balsa) to the rudder of my old Sr Telemaster to make it handle better with jumpers but mainly to offset the torque from a Sato 180 on takeoff. I may add a balsa extension to my Meister rudder the same way. It takes a lot of rudder input to keep it going straight on takeoff and I have 60% rudder mixed with the ailerons to get it to make a better coordinated turn when flying to altitude with 3 jumpers hooked up. I thing a larger rudder would help a lot.
You ready for Somerset!! Any idea how many people are coming?
Jim
Old 05-20-2007, 08:02 AM
goldenknight1

Jim: have made tab for rudder and am headed to the field to see how it works, mine is three inches long by one inch wide and made out of thin aluminium strip so that I will aslo be able to bend it to see if it will help hold it on track. Don't have any idea how many are goingto be there I did not preregister because of problems with aircraft and and travel time off for trip. Will see you at somerset and enjoy the weekend.

fair winds and blue skies

BOB[8D][8D]
Old 05-21-2007, 10:28 AM
goldenknight1

Jim: Reworked rudder twice final design is one inch at top and three inches on bottom made out of hard balsa ground control is so much better. very little rudder on take off about one third what I had to use before and is real nice when making turns will send you a message as soon as I can down load picture from my camera.

BOB[8D]
Old 05-21-2007, 12:11 PM
goldenknight1

Jim: Here are pictures of new rudder one inch at top three inches bottom, need about one third of rudder as to when I first tested the metal tab, The new one is made of hard balsa no ground handling problems on take off with two skydivers on board.

BOB
Old 05-21-2007, 12:17 PM
goldenknight1

Sorry about that Jim here are pictures
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49044.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	688810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75154.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	688811  
Old 05-30-2007, 08:53 PM
R/C Skydiver

Bob,
Have been in Ohio for last 10 days visiting relatives and Paul R. in Columbus (we made 5
practice jumps each on Mon). Glad to hear the mods to your rudder helps to offset some of the torque. You have done all the work so I now know exactly what rudder extension is needed. I will do the same to mine before the Somerset Rally but will probably have to take out some of the rudder/aileron mix. Have it at 60% now to make good coordinated turns with all the drag when jumpers are mounted. Maybe I can get a test in before the rally. Looking forward to seeing all the R/C Skydivers!
Jim
Old 05-30-2007, 09:20 PM
goldenknight1

Jim:
My LM is so much easer to fly with new rudder it is realy flies like a trainer, found out that I needed 2 more ounces in tal no longer need to hold a little up elevator for glide to touchdown.
I have had ten drops from the plane and jumpers leave clean and the plane actualy looks like it jumps up about ten feet when they drop. Am lookinf forward to someset and seeing every one get some more drops in and see you there,
Old 06-06-2007, 04:23 PM
goldenknight1

Jim: Have you adapted your rudder yet? And if so how did it respond for you. I am trying to download load picture of mine on take off a rear shot showing rudder details also a couple of shots of dropping skydivers.

fair winds and blue skies
BOB
Old 06-06-2007, 04:27 PM
R/C Skydiver

Bob
My rudder has been extended (1" at top and 2" at bottom) like yours. I hope to test fly it on Sat if the wx will cooperate. Will let you know what happens.
Jim
Old 06-06-2007, 05:18 PM
goldenknight1

ORIGINAL: R/C Skydiver

Bob
My rudder has been extended (1" at top and 2" at bottom) like yours. I hope to test fly it on Sat if the wx will cooperate. Will let you know what happens.
Jim
Jim Will look for your report
bob
Old 06-08-2007, 12:31 PM
R/C Skydiver

Just finished flying the Lift (Jump) Meister with the enlarged rudder and it was a big help! Winds were at about 10 mph 80o off the runway heading and it stuck to the runway like glue without deviating from the center line. The smaller rudder would not have held the runway heading without a lot of "unusual" maneuvers, to say the least. I would recommend the rudder extension of at least 1" at the top sloping down to 2" at the bottom. Great idea you had BoB!!!
Jim
Old 06-08-2007, 01:32 PM
goldenknight1

Jim:
Did you lift any of your jumpers on board, this is where I found that it really tracked well with the added weight. I tried another exsperiment with the lift meister two jumpers on board and ten pounds in fuselage, the total weight of aircraft wet and ready to fly was 39 1/2 pounds. It took about 125 ft to lift off but tracked true and was slow but very stable I don't believe I will have any trouble lifting three big jumpers.[X(]

BOB
fair winds and lots of blue skies lets jump
Old 06-08-2007, 08:03 PM
R/C Skydiver

Bob,

Didn't fly with jumpers today--no one around to jump or fly the plane. I have flown it before with 2 Mikes and one Charly. It took a long almost flat climbout with all that drag from the jumpers but eventually got to about 700 ft. Didn't time the climb but it was slow because I wanted plenty of airspeed to make sure there was no stall.. What kind of engine are you using now? Mine has the Evolution 35 with a 19x8 W APC prop turning 8000 rpm. All these Lift Meisters at the rally will make it even more interesting. A lot of mods have been made to make the thing safe and flyable. See ya in Somerset!

Jim
Old 06-08-2007, 08:19 PM
goldenknight1

Jim
I have a remington 38 CC engine that I use a 20/6 beechwood prop for pull, I have peak mine to 7,960 best I can get but plane pulls good and my angle at liftoff is about 20% don't want to stall it. It might take a little longer to get up there but doesn't take any time at all if you stall to crash it.

BOB
fair winds and lots of blue sky LETS JUMP