Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Unusual R/C > R/C Sky Diving
Reload this Page >

Drop box - new at this, requesting input.

Community
Search
Notices
R/C Sky Diving Discuss all aspects of r/c sky diving and divers here!

Drop box - new at this, requesting input.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 09:58 AM
avalanche wolf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drop box - new at this, requesting input.

I am slowing working my way to a skydiver setup but wanted to start off small. Some how I skipped something and the box ended up wider than intended but that can be fixed with a bit of a chop and channel. My question though is do I really need to. Would like to have the added cargo room this provides but if not I can proceed with the chop. Any input appericated. This is just the test fitting still. A lot of finishing work but was the first night of work on it. The box will be covered in monocote inside and out and have two air holes in the front to provide a ram air ejection principle to expell the cargo. At a full landing flair the box has 2" of ground clearance with the tail touching the ground.

Aircraft information -
•Length: 53"
•Wingspan: 72-1/2"
•Flying Weight: 83 oz. ( with EL motor, using a NP engine so is a bit heavier )
•Controls: Ailerons (2 servos), Flaps, Elevator, Rudder/Nose Gear, Throttle
The box goes right up to the flap inner edges.
Engine - Evo
Drop box is very very light. Weight of the hitec server was almost twice of box without the servo installed.

I guess my main concern right now is the effect on the lift this will create.

[img]{akamaiimageforum}/upfiles/231445/ca82164.bmp[/img]

[img]{akamaiimageforum}/upfiles/231445/mh19171.bmp[/img]

[img]{akamaiimageforum}/upfiles/231445/mr40604.bmp[/img]

[img]{akamaiimageforum}/upfiles/231445/dx66491.bmp[/img]
Old 11-28-2009, 06:03 PM
ennyka

Default RE: Drop box - new at this, requesting input.

I dont see lift being a problem the panes fly the same with just the boxes add the diver and you have a totally different flying plane due to the payload weight. Anyway the concerns I have are the ground clearance you may want to think about larger wheels and taller gear. All of my drop planes look like those Cubs that land in the mountains with the extra large wheels. Remember an inch taller wheel only gives 1/2 ich more height. Another concern is the bo is boxed on all four sides all of mine are three sided with the back open this is to allow the divers legs to hang out the box, and with the diver's legs hanging out the back you need more ground clearance. If you are flying from a grass strip you can get away with the diver rubbing the grass as long as it doesn't slow the plane down because you will deffinately need the speed to get it off and also more runway. that is part of the fun is loading the plane and watching the pilot struggle with the take offs I have had some close calls with my diver underneath! Anyway enough for now I hope this helped.

Kenny K from Spillway Skydive Team.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:25 PM
avalanche wolf

Default RE: Drop box - new at this, requesting input.

Thanks for the reply. This is just my first drop box. I will be dropping little gum ball para-troppers from this one. Eventually I will be stepping up to skydivers but wanted to start off small. I have run the tower hobbies split bomb before but a box has completely different aerodynamics than a small bomb shaped item.This will be for uncontrolled payload drops. Also I only fly from paved strips as there are two that are very close by. More sanding and a early night for tonight.