Go Back  RCU Forums > Classifieds & Marketplace > Radio Equipment
Reload this Page >

Yet Another "Which Transmitter" Question

Community
Search
Notices
Radio Equipment View all radio equipment for sale right here.

Yet Another "Which Transmitter" Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 01:44 PM
rg1911
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Yet Another "Which Transmitter" Question

If this is the wrong place to post this query, please tell me.

I've been out of things for a number of years and would like to get back into flying. As part of that, I would like to replace my old Futaba 8S. Unfortunately, I am thoroughly confused by all the new electronics on the market.

I don't want to start a war, but I would appreciate some suggestions/recommendations for a transmitter that:

1. Has 9 or more channels
2. Is reliable; not temperamental
3. Is made/backed by a solid company

I should mention that price is an object. (Think retired with limited discretionary funds.)

Thank you,
Richard
The following users liked this post:
chefmarkt69 (03-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 03:00 PM
chefmarkt69
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spektrum nx radios

I know a few people that have the spektrum nx radios and they seem to like them. I have an old DX9 and love it.
Old 03-03-2024, 03:31 PM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Well, your 3rd criteria (a solid company) probably means Spektrum or Futaba. There are others, of course (Multiplex, etc.) , but those two have the broadest reach and depth in the US for finding service and compatible items.
"Temperamental" is a vague term - if you mean "simple to operate", there aren't many - it is a question of how much you are willing to learn about how to use the functions and options included with the system.
Again, Futaba and Spektrum, if you don't go with their top of the line, which can get very complex and very expensive.
That said, some of the Chinese systems present a fantastic set of options, usually doing far, far more than the big two for far, far less cost. Look at Frsky or Radiomaster. But only if you are willing to pay with time in the learning curve of the system, rather than cash.
If "Temperamental" means "reliable and recommendable", the again Spektrum or Futaba, followed closely by Frsky, followed by Radiomaster. Avoid all other Chinese companies for now.
Old 03-03-2024, 04:09 PM
rg1911

Thank you. I'll concentrate on those two.
Richard
Old 03-03-2024, 04:11 PM
rg1911

Originally Posted by chefmarkt69
I know a few people that have the spektrum nx radios and they seem to like them. I have an old DX9 and love it.
Is the DX the predecessor of the NX, or are they entirely different lines in Spectrum?
Thank you, Richard
chefmarkt69 (03-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 06:42 PM
chefmarkt69
My Feedback: (3)

The DX came before the NX,
I live my DX not super complex and built well.
Old 03-04-2024, 06:24 AM
bipestick

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My vote is for FrSky Taranis X9D. It has 24 channels and transmits on 2.4 ghz and 900 mhz for redundancy. I started with an X9D 2019 but have now got a X20S. They are very reliable and won't break the bank. You can get the X9D lite for $90. I would recommend the X9D 2019 version. You can get them for Horus RC. FrSky Taranis X9D Plus Special Edition - Taranis 9xd Plus (horusrc.com) There is a learning curve to them, but since you have been out of it for a while you would need to learn the new stuff anyway. There are multiple videos on you tube to help to learn the programing. Aloft hobbies has a good forum page. Good Luck
Dave
The following 2 users liked this post by bipestick:
chefmarkt69 (03-04-2024), rg1911 (03-09-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 01:59 PM
pmullen503

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want 2.4G and 900mHz redundancy you have to go for a FrSky Tandem radio: X18, X20 or X20pro The X9D runs ACCST (16 Channels) and ACCESS (24 channels but only 2.4G). I've had one for several years and it (and ACCESS) has been rock solid.

I also have an X18 and X20S running Ethos firmware which is easier to use than OpenTx. A new X18 is about what a new X9D costs and can run the TANDEM (2.4 + 900) receivers as well as ACCST and ACCESS receivers.
Old 03-04-2024, 02:47 PM
bipestick

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pmullen503
If you want 2.4G and 900mHz redundancy you have to go for a FrSky Tandem radio: X18, X20 or X20pro The X9D runs ACCST (16 Channels) and ACCESS (24 channels but only 2.4G). I've had one for several years and it (and ACCESS) has been rock solid.

I also have an X18 and X20S running Ethos firmware which is easier to use than OpenTx. A new X18 is about what a new X9D costs and can run the TANDEM (2.4 + 900) receivers as well as ACCST and ACCESS receivers.
Actually, the X9D can run 2.4 and 900. You need to add the module and buy the extra receiver. I do agree that both ACCST and ACCESS are rock solid. I ran my X9D on open TX before switching to the X20S. I still run ACCST and ACCESS until I can change them out. That is the great thing about FrSky. Even though they change their protocols, they make them reverse compatible.
Old 03-04-2024, 03:15 PM
pmullen503

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never thought I would replace my Taranis and OpenTx but I still would opt for the X18 or X20 today. I don't think you can run a Tandem receiver on an X9D with an module. You can run a 2.4 ACCESS receiver with R9 mini redundant receiver (R9 on ACCESS firmware) on an X18/X20 without a module. Talk about backward compatibility.

The X20pro has 2.4 FSK, 2.4 LORA and 900. So you can run a Twin (2.4 FSK and 2.4 LORA) as well as ACCST, ACCESS and Tandem. Soon FrSky will bring out triple frequency receivers for triple redundancy.

Still have to remember to charge your batteries....
Old 03-04-2024, 08:20 PM
tedsander

To the Original Poster - the last few posts may serve as examples about what I noted about "learning curves". I had a very expensive, top of the line, Futaba for several years....but moved to Frsky as it was 1/10th the price, and could do a LOT more. Took me some time to actually trust it. But I've been fully on board with their equipment for a few years now, for everything - small electrics to big gassers.
But as you can see with the jargon/terms used, there is a lot of new tech to come up to speed on....
Spektrum and Futaba have their dialects of the languages to learn, also....
The following 2 users liked this post by tedsander:
rg1911 (03-09-2024), XB70B (03-14-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 10:57 AM
XB70B

Ted has summed it up very well. You'll find that many, if not most, RC modelers are passionate about what they fly -- of course. Almost like religion . . .
Ted was very objective. I've owned them all -- and I mean ALL. Spektrum, JR Propo, Futaba, FrSky (Taranis, Horus), RadioMaster, Radiolink. Strong agreement regarding FrSky and RadioMaster being strong candidates if you're just getting back into it. Your head will hurt but it's going to hurt regardless of the main 4 brands discussed. Spektrum was the easiest for me to learn but I thought I was going to throw it across my shop when I got my first one. Just be prepared and stay calm and focused.
You've received some good advice and perhaps a tinge of "you'll go to hello if you don't attend my church . . . " ;-) That's why I never get into deep discussions of religion or RC transmitters.

Last edited by XB70B; 03-14-2024 at 11:17 AM.
rg1911 (03-14-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 12:59 PM
LLRCFlyer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

All the referenced transmitter brands will work well. Programing transmitters can be challenging and the different brands have different programming methods. I suggest that you go visit the local clubs to see what they are successfully flying in the greatest numbers. More specifically, identify the people you would trust to help/instruct you and see what they are flying. For example, Joe may be a fantastic instructor and knows Spektrum transmitter programming inside out, but knows nothing about programing your Futaba, etc. If you anticipate using a buddy box to get your sills sharpened, then make sure their transmitters are compatible with yours as a buddy box. If you have no clubs/instructors near you, then just ignore the preceding and get what you like (plus a bottle of Tylenol). Good Luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by LLRCFlyer:
rg1911 (03-14-2024), XB70B (03-14-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 06:20 AM
tedsander

Originally Posted by LLRCFlyer
All the referenced transmitter brands will work well. Programing transmitters can be challenging and the different brands have different programming methods. I suggest that you go visit the local clubs to see what they are successfully flying in the greatest numbers. More specifically, identify the people you would trust to help/instruct you and see what they are flying. For example, Joe may be a fantastic instructor and knows Spektrum transmitter programming inside out, but knows nothing about programing your Futaba, etc. If you anticipate using a buddy box to get your sills sharpened, then make sure their transmitters are compatible with yours as a buddy box. If you have no clubs/instructors near you, then just ignore the preceding and get what you like (plus a bottle of Tylenol). Good Luck!
Excellent points!
Old 03-15-2024, 07:22 AM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Struggling to understand how queries like this belong in the CLASSIFIED sections.....lots of forums specific to radios, electronics, motors, batteries, airplanes, etc., etc., etc., where these types of questions would be more appropriate.
Besides the terrible setup for classifieds this is another reason the RCU classifieds is so lowly rated
Old 03-15-2024, 08:17 AM
tedsander

Originally Posted by Hinckley Bill
Struggling to understand how queries like this belong in the CLASSIFIED sections.....lots of forums specific to radios, electronics, motors, batteries, airplanes, etc., etc., etc., where these types of questions would be more appropriate.
Besides the terrible setup for classifieds this is another reason the RCU classifieds is so lowly rated
To the point of poor forum setup -
The section "Radio Equipment" is the first seen on the RCU Forums home page, and it is easy to overlook that it is a sub-head of the Classifieds & Marketplace. So easy, especially for a less experience user of the site, to not know they should scroll down further to the more appropriate section...(and the OP did ask for guidance as to where he should have posted if it wasn't correct).

For those of us responding, I always click on "New Posts" first, which gives me everything new, and also is less discernable as to what subgroup it was part of.
Old 03-15-2024, 08:32 AM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tedsander
To the point of poor forum setup -
The section "Radio Equipment" is the first seen on the RCU Forums home page, and it is easy to overlook that it is a sub-head of the Classifieds & Marketplace. So easy, especially for a less experience user of the site, to not know they should scroll down further to the more appropriate section...(and the OP did ask for guidance as to where he should have posted if it wasn't correct).

For those of us responding, I always click on "New Posts" first, which gives me everything new, and also is less discernable as to what subgroup it was part of.
Okay that makes sense, can't blame folks who are unaware of the proper path to take due tof the very poorly designed RCU setup