Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Need help verifying a possible issue

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Need help verifying a possible issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 06:12 PM
SteelSky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help verifying a possible issue

Hello everyone. I have always owned Nitro Rc RTR's. I recently wanted to build a kit. I purchased a Team Associated RC8T. Everything seems in order. I just have a few questions. When I rotate the front or rear wheels in the same direction it is very smooth and the central differential spur gear moves freely and smoothly. But when on the floor and i push the car the central spur gear is stationary and i feel much more resistance If i try to rotate it with my fingers. I cannot get it to even go 50% of a revolution until i feel pressure and cannot push it anymore. Again, If i leave it on the ground it does roll but the central spur does not move much but all wheels are moving and feel alot more resistance. I tested making sure disc brakes are not touching. I re opened the central differential and is perfect. I know the front and rear diff are the same so its not a polarity issue. Or am i just overthinking this whole thing and this is normal.

Also, I dont have a motor dropped in yet. this is driving me nuts. keep goin over step by step. I cant figure out why this spur is not moving free. Could it be because its 4x4?

Last edited by SteelSky; 12-17-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:31 AM
SteelSky

After much reading it seems as one of my differentials I installed one is somehow reverse or upside down. Must be the front or rear. I assume by rotating the wheels I could find out what one it is?.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:26 PM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SteelSky
After much reading it seems as one of my differentials I installed one is somehow reverse or upside down. Must be the front or rear. I assume by rotating the wheels I could find out what one it is?.
Check your instructions for correct installation direction of the diffs. That is exactly what is causing your issue. Your wheels are probably turning opposite directions when you lift it off the ground and rotate them. Let me know if you have more questions man. You can PM me too. These boards seem to be getting less visited lately but Im not leaving
Old 12-18-2015, 02:09 PM
SteelSky

Originally Posted by mattster1971
Check your instructions for correct installation direction of the diffs. That is exactly what is causing your issue. Your wheels are probably turning opposite directions when you lift it off the ground and rotate them. Let me know if you have more questions man. You can PM me too. These boards seem to be getting less visited lately but Im not leaving
thanks alot man! appreciate the response!. I figured it out. My rear Diff was flipped. I flipped it over and now it feels like butter and everything is engaged . Now i am waiting on some Werks light pro clutch and ceramic shoes and a protek 14T clutch bell. Hopefully it all pairs up well. I heard ceramic shoes have less bite compared to aluminum. Guess I will find out!.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:03 AM
mattster1971

Are you planning on racing at the local track ? Otherwise you don't need Ceramic shoes. Thats a pricy addition for a basher. If you race then maybe you will like the longevity and reliability, but if you overheat them they will crack. I just use the standard composite clutch shoes. I like to replace them as worn without worry about chunks coming off like with Aluminum or others. I have used Aluminum with success too you just have to make sure you aren't overheating them because if you do they will kind of melt and smear.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:51 AM
SteelSky

Originally Posted by mattster1971
Are you planning on racing at the local track ? Otherwise you don't need Ceramic shoes. Thats a pricy addition for a basher. If you race then maybe you will like the longevity and reliability, but if you overheat them they will crack. I just use the standard composite clutch shoes. I like to replace them as worn without worry about chunks coming off like with Aluminum or others. I have used Aluminum with success too you just have to make sure you aren't overheating them because if you do they will kind of melt and smear.
That's good to know. Will change out to composite then. Thanks for the info!!
Old 12-28-2015, 04:12 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SteelSky
Hello everyone. I have always owned Nitro Rc RTR's. I recently wanted to build a kit. I purchased a Team Associated RC8T. Everything seems in order. I just have a few questions. When I rotate the front or rear wheels in the same direction it is very smooth and the central differential spur gear moves freely and smoothly. But when on the floor and i push the car the central spur gear is stationary and i feel much more resistance If i try to rotate it with my fingers. I cannot get it to even go 50% of a revolution until i feel pressure and cannot push it anymore. Again, If i leave it on the ground it does roll but the central spur does not move much but all wheels are moving and feel alot more resistance. I tested making sure disc brakes are not touching. I re opened the central differential and is perfect. I know the front and rear diff are the same so its not a polarity issue. Or am i just overthinking this whole thing and this is normal.

Also, I dont have a motor dropped in yet. this is driving me nuts. keep goin over step by step. I cant figure out why this spur is not moving free. Could it be because its 4x4?

so the center diff is not wanting to spin ? is it possible you have your diffs in backwards ? any chance you could shoot a video ? Also I suggest coming over to RC Tech you will find much more skilled help over there, a RC8T is a really high end machine for the guys at this forum.....
Old 12-29-2015, 05:33 AM
Anthoop

Originally Posted by supertib
so the center diff is not wanting to spin ? is it possible you have your diffs in backwards ? any chance you could shoot a video ? Also I suggest coming over to RC Tech you will find much more skilled help over there, a RC8T is a really high end machine for the guys at this forum.....
Funny Neal...funny you are indeed.
Nice that you bumped the thread just to repeat the answer and add a little bait...mmm....I bit.....you got one.

The vehicle in question has the same layout as vehicles from many moons ago.... it does the same things and operates in the same way just minor detail changes to make improvements....as you well know....just like engines- revamped yesteryear yet every year "the new betterer thing is here buy it now or be a loser"!
Old 12-29-2015, 05:22 PM
mattster1971

Seriously?
What a douche spamming the post to promote another board... low class. I think we have the ability to identify a differential being inserted incorrectly. If we had more people who would just participate and not be so full of themselves we would be a better board.

Last edited by mattster1971; 12-29-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:11 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Anthoop
Funny Neal...funny you are indeed.
Nice that you bumped the thread just to repeat the answer and add a little bait...mmm....I bit.....you got one.

The vehicle in question has the same layout as vehicles from many moons ago.... it does the same things and operates in the same way just minor detail changes to make improvements....as you well know....just like engines- revamped yesteryear yet every year "the new betterer thing is here buy it now or be a loser"!

screw you dude.. me posting here had nothing to do with your sorry arse..... I was trying to help the OP with the best possible answer and that would be going over to RC Tech where there are many users of this same car who race it weekly... I don't care what you think but you won't have anywhere near the knowledge and understanding of this car as the racers who race it so get over yourself ! its sad but true that the user base on RC tech is far more advanced and much more mature then the user base over here, so if someone needs help with a a race machine there is no better place to be then RC tech.....

Also to add I had no idea I was repeating what was already said... I read the OP's original post and responded to it, I didn't bother reading the rest of the posts in the thread ! so your thinking I am making a double post just to come after you when all I am doing is trying to help the OP based off his original post/////

Last edited by supertib; 01-01-2016 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:25 AM
Anthoop

Originally Posted by supertib
screw you dude.. me posting here had nothing to do with your sorry arse..... I was trying to help the OP with the best possible answer and that would be going over to RC Tech where there are many users of this same car who race it weekly... I don't care what you think but you won't have anywhere near the knowledge and understanding of this car as the racers who race it so get over yourself ! its sad but true that the user base on RC tech is far more advanced and much more mature then the user base over here, so if someone needs help with a a race machine there is no better place to be then RC tech.....

Also to add I had no idea I was repeating what was already said... I read the OP's original post and responded to it, I didn't bother reading the rest of the posts in the thread ! so your thinking I am making a double post just to come after you when all I am doing is trying to help the OP based off his original post/////
Firstly calm down....no need for rude aggressive behaviour.

Secondly you are far from a forum new guy so I would expect you to at least make a quick scan of the other posts to see if the problem has been resolved....

Thirdly as I already stated the problem the OP was having is quitte simple to answer for anyone with a little 4WD RC knowledge.....not model specific and no need to join the *pro* forum...