Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Kanai2 vs Hyper7 pbs

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 05:21 AM
MiCkLe207

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kanai2 vs Hyper7 pbs

I'm planning on buying a new buggy and actually start racing. I was thinking about the Kanai2 or the Hyper7 pbs, and I obviously can't decide between the two. I was also considering the Ultra MBX pro RTR or the Mp 7.5 (and later on convert it into a kanai2, since I'm short in money). Could any tell me which one (k2 and h7) or tell me what I should get between the Ultra MBX or the Mp7.5 and if these two are capable of racing.
Old 11-01-2003, 07:53 AM
NitroFreak

Default RE: Kanai2 vs Hyper7 pbs

Well if you don't mind spengind at least a $1000 to get the Kani going then it's a no brainer. But I think the PBS can be just as competitive for a LOT less. I have seen many people beat a Kanai with a PBS.
Old 11-01-2003, 09:13 AM
dagass

I'm with nitro freak here. The Kanai 2 is going to set you back $300.00 to $400.00 more than if you were to grab a PBS. I may be naive, but I believe that the Kanai wins most of it's races on the pro level NOT becasue it's that much better than the other buggies, I believe it has more to do with the team drivers. Those guys are just flat out good. Give those guys a PBS and I think they would win just as many races.

If you've got money to burn, and you have your heart set on a Kanai, then by all means get one but I don't believe that there is anything about the Kanai that makes it worth $300 or $400 more than the PBS. As for the Ultra MBX Pro and the MP7.5, the MBX Pro is more of a basher while the MP7.5 is more of a racer. If you want to go fast and jump stuff and just have a ton of fun, then the MBX is the MBX pro will give you the best bang for your dollar.
Old 11-01-2003, 12:01 PM
Kuma
My Feedback: (1)

Well I would personally wait for the Hyper 7 PCR version, and it's usually much easier to get replacement parts from Ofna than most other brands and is much cheaper. The H7 can be just as competative as the rest of the top end cars.
Old 11-01-2003, 12:24 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: Kuma

Well I would personally wait for the Hyper 7 PCR version, and it's usually much easier to get replacement parts from Ofna than most other brands and is much cheaper. The H7 can be just as competative as the rest of the top end cars.
before i read your post, i was going to say wait for the PCR, but since you said it i wont.
Old 11-01-2003, 04:04 PM
waverave
My Feedback: (3)

If you wanted to race and were willing to spend the money on the kanai 2...I would recommend the Mugen MBX5 instead.
It's a bit cheaper than the kanai and a little more updated.
Old 11-01-2003, 04:30 PM
studysession

The PBS is great for the money... Good for both bashing and racing...
Old 11-02-2003, 12:10 AM
losi999

I just had the same decision to make and after seeing the price tag of the Kanai and MBX5 I went with the Hyper 7 PBS. For about $450 you can purchase a new PBS off of ebay which comes RTR with starter box and all! The K2 and MBX5 only come in kit form which would require you to purchase everything separately at a price tag over $1000. I just broke in my PBS today so I'll have some additional info in the coming weeks. After all my research I believe the best buy for bashing and racing combination is the PBS hands down! It seems pretty competitve right out of the box.
Old 11-02-2003, 10:31 AM
MiCkLe207

Will the Ultra MBX pro be capable of racing? or if not can it be capable after some upgrades?
Old 11-02-2003, 10:43 AM
studysession

ALL the OFNA buggies are capable of being good racers. Just to be race legal - (most classes not all) require a .21 engine. You can not run the .25's and 26's in most classes of racing. Those classes that usually allow them are the open classes where you find the Savages and TMaxx's in.
Old 11-02-2003, 11:21 AM
MiCkLe207

so... the Mp7.5 and the Ultra MBX pro are both capable buggies? which one would your guys prefer?! considering the following: handling, speed, durability, user friendly, and VALUE!!!
My first choice right now is the Hyper7 pbs, but if I can't find one for a good price... I'll be in a dillema between the Ultra Mbx pro and the Mp7.5.
Please help me here, I'm a very indecisive person, especially if it comes to things like this!
Old 11-02-2003, 11:26 AM
studysession

The MBX has bigger motor. Not race legal out of box so you will spend more if you want to race.
Old 11-02-2003, 04:39 PM
RIRS4

From the sounds of what everyone is saying, looks like the PBS is your best bet. Great buggy for all around use, and comes with a legal motor for racing. If you went with the MBX pro you'd save a few dollars at first, then you would have to buy a new engine for racing it.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:52 PM
TerrySL

Dagass makes an excellent point. Save you money for now, buy a Hyper 7 PBS and youll be competitive on any circuit. Spend the extra cash on spare parts, fuel, whatever. It's not the car thats fast, it's the driver. Those pros could kick most of our butts with a radio shack car. Marketing companys make the cars attractive to guys like you and me to spend our hard earned cash for the name or snob appeal.
Buy what matter, PBS, adjustable suspension, good shocks, and race alot. When the car starts holding you back then upgrade, you will know when that point is.

As for the Kanai - if you still must have the latest greatest, check out the Mugen MTX3, Hyper 7 PBS, and the Thundertiger.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:18 AM
ShOzz

have you called your local tracks?
if they are not roar then you most likely can race with the .26 that comes in the ultra mbx pro.

i used to have no problems at all driving my mbx pro on the track and kept up with kyoshos and the like. (track bashing, no official races)
it really comes down to the driver.

i would though suggest that you upgrade to the 200 oz servo for steering that airtronics makes, you can get it for a damn good orice through nitrohouse.com

that alone will help you on the track considerably.

i have now retired the ultra mbx pro and am using my hopped up hyper 7 with all pcr parts. it is fast and very responsive but in reality i had just about the same amount of fun on the track with the ultra mbx pro.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:21 PM
studysession

Shozz - That is good advice, but if like me and travel and hit tracks around the different regions and countries, every track has different rules. So it is best just stay ROAR legal. That is good but depends on personal situation.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:31 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Kanai2 vs Hyper7 pbs - K3

Apparently the K3 has been already released in Japan and is scheduled to be released in the US sometime in January. I was informed that the K3 is basically a K2 with more hop ups and with a higher price of course.
Old 11-06-2003, 01:09 PM
Henderson

There's some SERIOUS wishful thinking going on in this thread by Ofna owners.

To compare a high-end, high quality kit like a Kanai II or a Mugen MBX5 to an Ofna ready-to-run is ludicrous.

I like Ofnas for what they are; a low end budget bashing machine. I've even recommended them here for that purpose. I'll even agree that the driver is the biggest factor on the track. But a Kyosho or Mugen kit is EASILY worth the extra money because of the quality and durability if you're a racer. The guys that race Ofnas at my track have all spent more money to make their buggies reliable enough to last through practice, qualifiers and mains on a weekly basis than if they'd just bought a serious buggy in the first place. They're all running aftermarket shock towers, shocks, diffs, chassis braces, shafts, steering plates...the list goes on.

Ignore the know-it-alls who've never actually raced, spend a little more now, save long term. Not just money, but grief and down-time. Don't be nickel-rich and dollar-poor.
Old 11-06-2003, 01:23 PM
ShOzz

if you plan to never get "serious" into racing and just want to have fun then you'll be fine (if you can drive well that is)

you can sell it and buy an all new kit version of something better when the time is right for you. don't go spend a grand or more on a hobby you have no idea if you wil still be into 6 months for now.

unless you just enjoy blowing cash that is?
Old 11-06-2003, 01:24 PM
studysession

No one here said OFNA is better than the other mentioned. Just said for the money, the OFNA is good.

From what you wrote, do you not think people race the OFNA buggies? At the club I am in, there are more people that race Hyper 7's (Pro RTR PBS) than any other buggy. Yes the Mugens and Kyosho's are better buggies. Unless you have really deep wallets, I would not buy it.

Now if someone gave it to, that is totally different story.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:30 PM
Mugen Mbx5

I race a r2 and a MBX-5 and I like to use the R-2 better. I don't think the Mugen is worth the extra cash. It has more cool features, and is a little faster, but I am disappointed after spending that much cash.Our track has a amd transponder system and the lap times from my r2(O.S. rg) are consistantly faster than when I run the MBX-5(Nova rossi P5). The Mugen might be a little better, but not for the price..My season just ended and the results were H7 pro,9.5, R2, Pbs, R2(me),mugen, r2,kanai, mugen..The rest were ofnas down the line. If you want a pro level car then buy the Mugen or Kanai but at club level don't waste your money..Next year our track is going to change and be a lot tighter and more jumps, the mugen might handle a lot better then, but If not, it is EBAY time and I'll just get a Hyper or 9.5.....
Old 11-06-2003, 09:57 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The results at this race were:

Mugen: 1 (mbX5), 3, 4, 6, 9 and 10.
Kyosho: 2 (Yuichi Kanai), 5, 7 and 8.
Others: ?

http://www.mugenseiki.com/menueefi.htm
-Click "What's New" then "Japan Championships 1/8 Off-Road"

Too bad the grand final was canceled but it looks like it would have been either Mugen or Kyosho.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:17 AM
MiCkLe207

I just bought the Hyper7 pbs! but, it's still with my friend in US I'll have to wait till 22nd November and then I'll hit the road!
Old 11-07-2003, 09:29 AM
robriguez

In the serious buggy racing scene there are really only 3 maybe 4 top buggies. In no particular order they are the Inferno, MBX, EB4, and Storm.

To rank Ofna anywhere near this class of vehicle is rediculous. Yes Nissan makes a beautiful 350Z but its nothing compared to a Porshe, Ferrari, etc...

Now, do any of us NEED a Porshe or Ferrari to drive everyday and have fun hitting tight corners and racing from stop light to stop light.....probably not. Same goes for buggies. If your just looking for a nice setup that will allow you to have fun bashing and turn some quick laps on a track then ANY buggy will do. The Ofnas tend to have more LHS support and readily availble low cost parts. So for that reason alone I say go for the best Ofna that you can easily afford. Upgrade over time and beyond anything else.....HAVE FUN!!!
Old 11-07-2003, 11:31 AM
studysession

MiCkLe207 - I just bought the Hyper7 pbs! but, it's still with my friend in US I'll have to wait till 22nd November and then I'll hit the road!
You will be happy with it. Out of the 8 R/C cars/trucks/buggies I have and other owned in the past. The Hyper 7 has been my favorate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.