Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Kyosho MP 7.5 Kanai Edition III

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 07:35 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Kyosho MP 7.5 Kanai Edition III

Anyone plan on getting a K3?
Old 11-03-2003, 01:18 AM
Opel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kyosho MP 7.5 Kanai Edition III

I really like that car, i just sold one of my Kyosho mp 7.5's and may think about upgrading to a better car with a nice engine, and this is one that i kinda have in mind. What engine would u reccomend with this car? For Superior performance only!
Old 11-03-2003, 03:01 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

You really like the Kanai 3? It's not scheduled for release until January according to someone I spoke with today from Koyosho. BTW, it is my understanding that the K3 is basically a K2 with more hop-ups.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:30 AM
bigjdubb

That is my understanding also. I doubt I will ever buy one but if I was planing to do so I would wait for the new one. For me it is a bit easier on the wallet to add the parts over time. I don't need Kyosho to hop up my buggy for me, personally I feel there are some better options out there.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:14 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

It does sound like one very, very expensive kit since it will be more than the K2.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:14 PM
Mugen Mbx5

MUGEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-03-2003, 11:30 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Own one already.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:30 AM
MonstreSacre

post deleted by moderator.
Reason: For sale post in a general RC thread.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:35 PM
Henderson

Figures. I just put my Kanai II together in August, and now they're coming out with a new one. Oh well...i can always upgrade mine i guess.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:21 AM
MonstreSacre

The K3's have been out here in Japan for at least a week already. The LHS guys don't recommend purchasing the Sirio Kanai Edition engine that you see with it in pictures, and is already for sale. You can see the specs on that engine on Team Trinity's website under the Sirio specs. The LHS guys said the Sirio's haven't been very dependable and claim we're better off sticking to Novarossi, even though "Kanai" is endorsing that Sirio.
I don't recall all the changes that are on the new one, but 2mm longer shocks shafts(only rear?), a new hardened chassis, all titanium screws, new upper suspension holder, new radio plate, aluminum 3 shoe clutch, single disc brake(front and rear), steeper approach angle at rear of chassis....don't know what else.... I'll let you know later in the week when I get one for myself.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:26 AM
MonstreSacre

Default Other additions to K3

Oh yeah, they changed the mounting hole position for the steering plate, and did something else to change the front suspension/steering angles and clearance. I'll .pdf the Parts List, Option Parts List and make it available for you all to see. Here's a pic of the box.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24240.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	72563  
Old 11-05-2003, 12:13 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Default RE: K3

Thanks for the update. Active military? Spent my time across the sea from Japan--S. Korea.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:57 PM
MonstreSacre

Not military, but I do work for DoD as a contractor, hence the APO address.
Old 11-08-2003, 01:33 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

"S21BK Sirio .21 "Kanai Edition" Buggy Engine

Sirio .21 "Kanai Edition" Buggy Engine - New for Fall '03 from Sirio is the S21BK developed in conjunction with Team Kyosho's 1/8th Off Road World Champion driver Yuichi Kanai. New carburetor design, ABC construction and modified crank and port timing have improved bottom end drivability and top-end performance. 5 port, ABC construction, 3 adjustment carb, turbo plug, SG shaft. $499.99"

http://www.teamtrinity.com/catsearch.asp
Old 11-08-2003, 06:21 PM
petrolpixie

does anyone have pics of the new kanaii? i would love to see some pics of this beast!!!!
Old 11-10-2003, 02:00 AM
MonstreSacre

Default K3 Parts Picture

Yeah....but pics of what exactly...I just built it, but there are Fioroni parts on it as well, so it isn't a bone stock model anyway. Most of the improvements you can't see from a picture....longer shock shaft, hardened chassis, titanium screws(not a complete set by the way), "special" tie rods...etc etc. It's not that much different from the previous Kanai in my opinion. They mainly focused on weight savings...titanium screws, dual brake instead of quad....crap like that.
Here's a pic of some of the special parts and bags.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39562.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	73628  
Old 11-10-2003, 03:06 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Default RE: K3 Parts Picture

Thanks for the update and pictures. I helped sell a K2 today. I'm sure the LHS owner loved it especially since I told him about the K3. I also told the guy who purchased the K2 about the K3 but he didn't want to wait until the K3 hit the states.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:49 AM
MonstreSacre

Default RE: K3 Parts Picture

I'm selling the K3's on ebay, so tell him to look there.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:31 AM
MonstreSacre

Default No LSD in center

I never owned a K2 so I don't know what it was equipped with but I think it has LSD's in the front and the center. Welllll.....this K3 is only equipped with a front LSD. I wonder if kyosho skimped out on the center LSD to keep the price the same while "upgrading" some of the other parts. I was verrrrrrrry disappointed to find this out during the build process.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:50 AM
Henderson

Default RE: No LSD in center

Monstre -

I doubt it has anything to do with price, but rather handling. I'm guessing they were looking for a little different feel in the K3's cornering compared to the K2. Just guessing though...

Can't wait to get the full skinny on the K3.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:24 AM
MonstreSacre

Default K3 Steering Assembly and LSD

I found the steering brace to be loose as well. I have a Fioroni steering brace in which the steering collars fit much tighter into. The one on the K3 wasn't a tight fit. In addition I had to use shims between servo saver set and steering brace and also between the aforementioned steering brace and servo saver arms. I stuck them between the steering pin heads and the steel steering collars. Also used nylock nuts instead of the flanged nuts....if flanged nuts were used the assembly with shims would be too tight and bind, but without shims the thing was as loose as an HPI Savage steering assembly.
My recommendation - use Fioroni upper and lower steering plates/braces. The "special" Kyosho parts are crap....no wonder the MBX5 corners better.

Now...why would a center LSD make it handle/corner poorly? I've been wonder about all that a lot. I can rationalize having an LSD in the front...you want it to grab and pull out of the turns. But why wouldn't you want one in the center or rear? Too much traction in the rear is bad perhaps....it would push instead of pull out of turns and not have as good of traction? I dunno. I'd like to hear thoughts on why it wouldn't be good to have a trio of LSD's.
Better yet, why not use a solid center and let the front and rear handle their own traction.

OK...I'm done. Time to watch some old X-Files or hentai.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:48 PM
MP7.5Terror

Default RE: K3 Steering Assembly and LSD

I've been running the LSD diff in the front only for almost a year. I changed it once to standard diff for a different track condition.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:50 PM
Henderson

I think i read somewhere the reasons for not using a center LSD...

The article i read talked about a buggy going through whoop-de-doos or over a series of jumps. They claimed that a center LSD causes problems here because it transfers power exactly where you don't want it as the buggy jumps/lands/jumps/lands. Something like that. I'll try to find the article and post it.

There was a MBX5 with a WS7 II engine at the track Saturday and i gotta admit - the thing cornered on rails. It's definitely a sweet buggy. However, in reading the posts at the Starting Grid, i gather that you can make a Kanai handle just as good or better. Apparently the setup in the Kanai II manual is for longer European tracks, not American tracks which are generally shorter and have sharper turns.

Having said that, i think the Kyosho is better than the Mugen through rythm sections and other technical rough stuff.
Old 11-22-2003, 04:22 PM
Gricey

Hi Guys,

I have an Inferno 7.5 (RTR - laugh it up boys).... picked up 3 K2 TCD's on ebay, 1 centre and 2 fronts. Lashed the 3 of them in to my RTR and added a set of the K2 Sway bar sets (thickest bars and put 1 extra wind of negative camber in to the front wheels)....

Boy is this baby a handful now.. a fun handful but still a handful, I was tuning it in the street out the front and found it to be super skatey on the bituman, yes I know the standard pinspike tires are for offroad, but this baby can power slide out of a power slide if you know what I mean.

The serious racers will probably tell you different but I can vouch for the thrill factor of going trio of Lsd (sounds a bit like an Indian takeaway doesn't it?). If you have a spare 7.5 for bashing/recreation and want to try it out, I would recommend it.

Whilst I appreciate a car that handles well and performs well all round, the red neck in me was very impressed with the fact that I could throw it in to a slow speed turn, gun it and pull a 4wd burn out, complete with tiny little black donuts on the ground....

My previous experience with LSD's is in full size, I fitted a clutch pack TRD unit to an old Celica I had, made it loads quicker on the Gymkhana circuit. I also had a 94 WRX (Turbo) that had 3, front, rear and centre. The centre diff was torque split 60/40 to the front. Interesting when I looked through the Kanai II manual for assembling the diffs, the rear diff (open centre) has a slightly different internal gearing, I wonder is this for alternating front and rear torque? anyone know?

btw, a front wheel drive car with an LSD will power and brake understeer, a rwd car with an LSD will power and brake oversteer. A 4wd car with LSD's all round does both at once. As I found in the wet with my WRX and as I now find with my Inferno. Fun central...
Old 11-22-2003, 04:27 PM
Gricey

btw, my mate has an RTR also, he has not modded the suspension or anything else, we found that mine accelerated minorly faster on bitumen and noticeably faster on grass/dirt.

His seemed to be very accute in the handling compared to his TMaxx until I had modded mine and now it just seems to be that mine can turn (u turn especially) and handle quicker and more accurate. Driving his TMaxx after driving mine is like you're at the wheel of a hovercraft..... I would say the full K2 must be an impressive beast on handling, just seeing what my few mods have done (front K2 shocks/springs[green] also, rears to come this week!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.