Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Hyper 7 torsen diff Good or Bad??

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 03:46 PM
Mugen Mbx5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyper 7 torsen diff Good or Bad??

I got a Hyper used and just realized it has a torsen diff in the center. Is this good or bad for a fairly hard packed good traction track? What do you do to maintain one? Fill it with silicone or pack it full of grease? What are the advantages and disadvantages of a torsen??
Old 12-13-2003, 06:36 PM
studysession

Default RE: Hyper 7 torsen diff Good or Bad??

I regular/spider diff just unloads to tire that has less traction or even off the ground. When I called OFNA they said torsen diff puts the power to which wheels have traction vs the wheels that do not.
Old 12-14-2003, 02:55 PM
flatlander_14

how does a torsen diff work? it is racking my mind trying to figure out how it puts the power to the wheels with more load.[&:]
Old 12-14-2003, 03:01 PM
studysession

The technical part not sure. Been wanting to get one, but on Ebay they end up being more than $70 - $90 american. I am willing to stick with what I have before I spend that much.
Old 12-14-2003, 06:29 PM
SlingItX

A link to a previous thread by BuggiesRUs that contains another link explaining how a torsen style diff works (incl. graphics).

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_689870/mpage_1/key_torsen/anchor/tm.htm#689870]Torsen Diff Explained[/link]

Whoops, the original link no longer exists. Try this one: [link=http://www.sonic.net/garyg/zonc/TechnicalInformation/TorsenDifferential.html]Detailed Torsen Explanation[/link]

-SlingItX
Old 03-26-2007, 08:34 PM
nik77356

does anybody have a torsen diff that can say that one is better than the other?
Old 03-26-2007, 08:57 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Wow talk about old post but glade to see some using the search function! I have never owned a torsion diff but from all the reading I have read on US tracks more times then not they are not worth it. Now I have read on Euro tracks it helps but they normally have large swiping turns and not any really big or many jumps. Correct me if I am wrong someone as I can only go by what I have read. They cost to much for me to try them.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:03 PM
flatlander_14

I actually asked some guys at the track about them a few weeks ago... Basically I was told that the maintenance and upkeep of them outweighs the performance gains. Basically is like a one-way diff for on-road cars... some people love them and some hate them.

edit:

forgot to add that they DID actually use them... not just heresay

and this topic is 4 years old!! [X(]
Old 03-27-2007, 07:30 PM
nik77356

well i wanted to know if the money is worth it
Old 03-27-2007, 07:48 PM
flatlander_14

Better off spending on a set of good tires and a few gallons of fuel to practice.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:22 PM
flubin

I'm not an expert but I used fioroni torsen diffs for a while and I thought they have serious issues when it comes to rutted tracks or rhythm sections. Also, they behave strangely if you have to make quick back to back turns in opposite directions. The problem is that while they do "lock" the traction wheel, it takes too long to be very useful. Most of the time, by the time it engages, you're already needing a different wheel to lock. It would probably work better on a long, smooth track where you don't need it to react so quickly.

They would probably be awsome for rock crawling since you only need one wheel on the ground to keep moving forward.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:01 PM
kidd

not all torsen diffs are the same some will lock up with less torque and some need more torque. the fioroni won't be the same as a hyper torsen. suppose one way of tuning would be to adjust the slippage of the clutch on the engine. just some thoughts.
i have a center hyper torsen in my hyper 7 truggy.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:33 AM
Allhype

Default Hyper vse

I recently replaced my front and centre diffs in my hyper vse with the hyper 7 torsen units. Where previously I struggled to turn in the front pulls beautifully no understeer and the traction is noticeably better than before, wouldn't change back now!