Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

help with first kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 02:51 PM
pfoh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with first kit

I am in the process for shopping for my first nitro car. i have pretty much decided on the Kyosho MP 7.5. the problem im facing now is im not sure what exactly i need. what i mean is when i browse on towerhobbies it will tell me what else is required, an engine for example. Then for the engine they tell me something else is required, flywheel and manifold for example. then for the manifold, xyz is required. anyway this cycle seems to go on for ever. so, after all that my question is this. what is the bare miniumum i need to buy right a way so i can use the car. i want to be able to see what the damage is going to be so i can compare. another question i have is whether there are any more alternatives to a starter box or a pull start engine.

thx for all your help
-Pfoh
Old 01-03-2004, 03:06 PM
dagass

Default RE: help with first kit

A kit is basically a rolling chassis. As you know, you will still need an engine and a radio. For the engine, you will need:

Engine
Clutch
Clutchbell
bearings
Flywheel and colet
engine mounts
air cleaner
Tuned pipe
header

Radio wise you will need:

Radio
receiver
servos
batteries

Generally speaking the radio, receiver and servos come together in a package unless you're buying a high end radio. This is the bare minimum you will need to get running. As for starting alternatives, there are roto starts, electric starts and various other systems. All have their pro's and cons. For racing, most decide to go with a non pullstart engine and use a starter box. If you don't plan on racing, then it's just a matter of preference.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:12 PM
Kuma
My Feedback: (1)

As good choice as the MP7.5 is, it's a bit steep for a first nitro car since it comes in a kit form where you have to assemble the whole thing (or is that only the Kanai?). Dagass pretty much has it summed up though. If you're already experienced with elec or other RC models you shouldn't have too much trouble with this one.
Old 01-04-2004, 02:13 AM
fhm101

The intended use of the car will have a huge effect on how much you spend on the engine and electronics package. If it's a fun car the OS RG will be plenty of engine and you can buy a bumpstart version and starter box for about what you would pay for a pull start version. Both of the above would cost anywhere from two to three hundred less than a good racing engine and you will still have to get a bump box.
Same with radio gear, a fun car will work fine with a couple of $50 HiTec servos and a $200 JR or Airtronics transmitter and receiver. The same race gear can run upwards of $500.
No matter what the car is for, drop the coin for the best clutch and batteries you can afford. Racing or bashing, this will save you money in the long run.
As for the kit, the same thing applies. If you are racing and want the best handling buggy, go for the MP 7.5 K II. If it's a play car, the Storm Pro is plenty tough enough, handles well, and costs about half of what the K car does.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:07 PM
RobH

I think this is a mistake a lot of people make. They want a good kit. Kyosho is good (obviously). The cheapest kit they make if the MP 7.5 $500. Then you dig into the details:

I'll assume you want to race competatively

Kyosho Inferno MP 7.5 Kit - $500
.21 Race Quality Engine (RB, OS, NovaRossi) - $300-$350
Matching Race Quality Exhaust (pipe, header, etc) - $100-$120
Good FM Radio (nothing special) $150-$230
Good Servos - $150-$200

Minimum Cost: $1200

The sad part is, that's not even "top of the line". You could drop another $300-$400 easy to get even close to "top of the line".

It's a pretty scary hobby to get into when you look at the costs up front like that.

Good Luck,
RobH

EDIT: Forgot the starter box - $100-$150 after batteries... oh yeah and a hump pack and a charger... another $100 there... oh yeah and a fail safe -$40 ....

Someone once said that this hobby is like a mistress -- the upkeep will kill you if your wife doesn't get to you first.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:28 PM
pfoh

hehe, it is indeed expensive. i appreciate all the input. im getting out of rc planes in order to get into this, so im aware of the commitment, both in time and $$. both of which i never seem to have enough of as it is

i would like to get into racing once i have driven enough to be comfortable. that is why i like the mp 7.5 i can start with a decent car, then upgrade as time goes by to make it really top of the line.

i do have one more question, what is the difference in foam tire inserts? it seems that there couldnt be much difference. kyosho recommends the Kyosho Super High Height Tire Inner Sponge MP-7.5 or the Kyosho Inner Sponge Tire Inferno. the Kyosho Inner Sponge Tire Inferno is $2 more expensive. not a big difference, but what is the difference exaclty?

thx again for all input.
-pfoh
Old 01-06-2004, 12:34 AM
fhm101

Soft foam will give you better grip in the tight sections by allowing some sidewall flex which will allow you to push harder through these sections before your rear end will step out. Of course the trade off (there is ALWAYS a trade off) is the soft foam will allow the sidewall(s) of your outside tires to roll under in a high speed corner which will result in a traction roll unless you slow down, so most racers go for stiff foam to minimize this. A taller foam will result in higher top speeds by increasing the diameter of your tires but the trade off is raising the overall CG of your buggy which will slow you down in the tight sections. Foam selection is like any other aspect of your overall car setup, the "right" foam will depend on what kind of track you are running on. A good general starting point is the stiffest low profile foam you can find. I'll bet it will work best for you in 99% of the situations you find yourself in.