Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
 What Buggy for Newbie, will likely go racing too? >

What Buggy for Newbie, will likely go racing too?

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

What Buggy for Newbie, will likely go racing too?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Buggy for Newbie, will likely go racing too?

Hi there ppl,

I am thinking about getting a 1/8th 4x4 buggy and will eventualy be taking up racing once I've found out what's involved. What should I be looking for bareing in mind I have no previous experience with RC Nitro cars? Are there models that you would reccomend a newbie? I am in London, England so would appreciate help about racing/clubs etc from people living around there or those in the know...

Thanks a lot...
Old 02-24-2004, 06:15 AM

Default RE: What Buggy for Newbie, will likely go racing too?

for more local info (races, tracks etc) post on Maxbashing forum www.maxbashing.com this is run in England by the english and is based near London. As for getting a buggy, I was in the same position as you a few months ago and I got hyper 7 PBS, there are a number of Hyper 7 deals (PCR, PBS, SPort, Pro) the good thing about the Hyper 7 is it a strong buggy with a fast engine and readily available (cheapish) spares.. Also you can start of for £350ish and as you improve your skills you can slowly upgrade your buggy (allthough they are race legal out the box).. Its the cheapest buggy which will allow you to compete, it is strong and all in all a lot of fun, and if you find Nitro buggies arent your bag you aint spent £800+ to find out, if you do find out that buggies are you bag you will find yourself spending more than £800+ to bring your Hyper up to a competitve level......
Old 02-24-2004, 08:55 AM

if you want a RTR the Hyper 7 PCR is only 439 at Ultimate hobbies, for you that would probably be only 200 pounds and some change, lol.

race ready out of the box and many option parts you can upgrade once you get the bug .
Old 02-24-2004, 09:21 AM

hyper
Old 02-24-2004, 05:54 PM

Thanks for the info everyone.

It's funny even before reading the responses I for some reason ordered the Ho Boa Hyper 7 PBS... Well over my budget but hopefully a good long term choice. For those of you that have one of these I would realy like advice on tuning/setting up the car. I have never had an RC car like this and don't have a clue.... but I guess that could make things more fun???
Old 02-25-2004, 02:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the PBS is a good starter kit & represents real good value for money
the Buggys reasonably well specced out of the box & is upgradable to Pro spec & beyond
you might also want to check out the Essex Monster & Off-Road Club forum most of the Guys on there at the moment run Hypers
link to forum http://cgi.thenoodles.plus.com/forums/
its a new forum with not mant members yet but it will get busier once their new track opens
pic of proposed layout below
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32285.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	104810  
Old 02-25-2004, 09:44 AM

Hi,

seems like a nice and varied track...

Just a thought how many of you guys are members of the BRCA? Also is any company insane enough to provide insurance for RC cars?
Old 02-25-2004, 10:11 AM

ORIGINAL: GBlitzH
Also is any company insane enough to provide insurance for RC cars?
LMAO, surely a joke right, that would be like a medical company insuring Evil Knievel.. unless you just meant against theft right
Old 02-25-2004, 12:01 PM

In the US, if you're a member of the AMA, they insure as a part of being a member. I think this is mostly geared to airplane folks who's run away planes could do some serious damage to houses, cars, people, etc. You're also insured when you run your buggies. Some tracks require that you're an AMA member before you're allowed to race.

I'm saying this mostly for the benifit of the US folks reading. I know all the people posting in this thread are from the other side of the big pond.

-RobH
Old 02-25-2004, 12:21 PM

Yep I meant against theft... Not accidental damage

In the UK there's the BRCA - British Radio Car Association which does provide liability insurance (I think). Membership is not a lot at around £12/year but this does not do anthing to protect my buggy just saves my behind. Hell around £400 - £500 is a lot of money for it to be stolen would make me very [:@].

Do people in West London know of nice/safe areas where one could muck around with a £400 RC car and no I am not talking about race tracks?
Old 02-26-2004, 06:24 PM

If you are completey new to nitro RC I would take your whole buggy to your LHS and ask them do a complete check of the buggy. Have them clean out the engine. Make sure nothing is binding. Have them lock tight your screws. Have them set up your toe setting and PBS settings. Then have them brake in the engine for you. Ask them if you could watch them do all of this. But if you have a friend that knows what he is doing in RC have him/her do it. Of course you will need to pay yours LHS to do it. Have fun.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:53 PM

ORIGINAL: GBlitzH

In the UK there's the BRCA - British Radio Car Association which does provide liability insurance a(I think).
That is quite mad as me and a friend were discussing this the other day, a 1/8 scale could cause serious medical injury and we were wondering how it would stand up in a "were theres blame theres a claim" situ..

I was down a quarry last weekend and I kocked a trails biker off his feet [8D] I crapped my pants LOL, but we all soon found the funny side after we knew he had re-enforced boots on and his ankle wasnt shattered in a million places.. LOL his response was "I hope thats the only time I get knocked over by a car" cue the lawyers