Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Scared to break my car in

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 12:31 PM
joes75
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Scared to break my car in

Thats dangerous burnttoe!!...I aint sticking my fingers anywhere near those gears..Just use the tip of your shoe, why even risk it?.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:36 PM
Limegrntaln

Alright im off to the LHS to get some more stuff, im glad I didnt buy a more expensive car, cost $100 in xtra crap to get it running..
Old 03-20-2004, 12:47 PM
Burnt Toe

It stops really easy if its just ticking over honest! I just dont like the idea of fliping my car over and standing on it! lol
Old 03-20-2004, 01:05 PM
RBecking

Like Burnt Toe says, if the car is just idleing then as soon as you lightly touch the flywheel with your finger it stops, if it isn't ideling then use a screwdriver handle on the flywheel or put a rag over the exhaust.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:09 PM
nitroman88
My Feedback: (5)

dont get all scared about break-in. these engines are not as picky as people say they are. just as long as you make sure its running good and rich and not overheating. you'll be fine. really almost everyone i meet has thier own way of breaking in a engine. I let mine idle for a couple tanks and then drive it around at about 1/4 throttle. I then just keep opening the throttle up further each tank until i can hit full throttle but still on a very rich setting, after that i tune it for performance.
Old 03-20-2004, 06:06 PM
Limegrntaln

Ok I ran it through 2 tanks at idle, idle seemed pretty high first tank was about 10 minutes, 150 degrees or so then the second tank was about the same 10 minutes and the temp got upto like 180-185, Im not sure what way to turn the needle to get it to richen up or lean out!

I do know there was pretty much no smoke, but there is a puddle of oil on the ground.

Think everything is going ok?
Old 03-20-2004, 06:07 PM
joes75

Hey lime!!..To richen the HSN turn it counterclockwise, to lean it out turn it clockwise..You want to see some fuel shooting out of the exhaust during breakin, thats good.
Old 03-20-2004, 06:09 PM
Limegrntaln

OK noe what one is the HSN? and which one do you do first, a few times I barely got the screwdriver close to the screw and it died
Old 03-20-2004, 06:11 PM
joes75

Did the buggy come with an instruction manual? I hope it does because thats very important. Anway, the HSN is the one that sticks up from the carb, and LSN is on the side of the carb. You always adjust the HSN first then after that is set you adjust the LSN
Old 03-20-2004, 06:13 PM
Limegrntaln

Man I bought a duratrax heat thingy, I have to take it back cause I think its used, it pisses me off dont work unless you squeeze it real hard.. Im getting ready to go after I do this next tank

can I do the first 2 tanks then hold off till later on to run it more, or do I have to do it at once?
Old 03-20-2004, 06:14 PM
joes75

I think you should finish the break in process first, but Im not too sure on that. They sold you a used temp gauge? *** is that all about..lol
Old 03-20-2004, 06:15 PM
Limegrntaln

Yeah it came with instructions, but they are written in broken english "set the HSN @4 turns" 4 turns from what? full in or flush? they are fuzzy as heck.
Old 03-20-2004, 06:16 PM
Limegrntaln

Man I opened it and it was all scratched up, then you have to squeeze the center to get it to read.
Old 03-20-2004, 06:17 PM
joes75

ok you scared me for a second, I thought there was no manual.. That means 4 turns from when its closed, meaning close it all the way turning clockwise until it cant turn anymore. Now turn it counter clockwise 4 turns..Send the temp gauge back and demand your money back.
Old 03-20-2004, 06:21 PM
Nitro_Keebler

ORIGINAL: nitroman88-RCU

dont get all scared about break-in. these engines are not as picky as people say they are. just as long as you make sure its running good and rich and not overheating. you'll be fine. really almost everyone i meet has thier own way of breaking in a engine. I let mine idle for a couple tanks and then drive it around at about 1/4 throttle. I then just keep opening the throttle up further each tank until i can hit full throttle but still on a very rich setting, after that i tune it for performance.
Words of wisdom... Theres more than one way to skin a cat. These engines can take a beating, dont be timid.
Old 03-20-2004, 06:43 PM
joes75

Im not doubting that the engines can take a beating. But the breaking in process must be done properly or the engine will never be able to reach its peak performance.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:31 PM
nitroman88
My Feedback: (5)

it'll reach peak perfromance alright but not for very long..............
Old 03-20-2004, 09:04 PM
Limegrntaln

Ok I idled through 2 tanks and I let it put around on the 3rd tank then 4th tank I gave it little taps around the yard, I dont know if its flooded or what cause now it wont start. I only tried for about a minute then my wife was bugging me, so I didnt get a chance to figure it out.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:23 PM
joes75

Are you priming the fuel line properly prior to starting it?
Old 03-20-2004, 09:30 PM
Limegrntaln

Its been starting real good up till this little blast in the yard. I guess looking at the fuel line would be able to tell me, its dark out here now, and neighbors say me darting around the yard, everyone stopped to look, cars were driving by slow, I cant wait till I can run it full blast, I went out to get the new temp gun, and I was seeing temps after running it at 200-215 so im not real leaned out yet, driving it around though gets it smoking good. I might try to take it to the park a few miles away there is some good lighting there and I just want to see if I can get it started again.. [&o]

I was getting it to start right away by making sure the throttle trim was in a sweet spot it was cranking right up, but I just dont think its getting gas, I checked the glow plug and that looked fine still shiny and intact. I did flood it so bad one time the air filter was purple there was so much fuel in it, I think its cause I turned it over to get a little rock that got lodged inbetween the frame and the flywheel causing it to stall out..
Old 03-20-2004, 09:34 PM
joes75

LOL..The neighbors must love you now..Ok give it a shot again and let us know..The engine is new with lots of compression so maybe that could be why its a little difficult to start it.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:36 PM
Limegrntaln

I could yank away at it, it just didnt sound like there was any spark, come to think of it my glow igniter might be out of juice. I used it for about 10 starts. D cells might not last long..
Old 03-20-2004, 09:39 PM
joes75

BINGO!..That could be your problem..You can test the ignitor by putting it onto another plug and see if it glows a bright orange. Becareful though its very hot!
Old 03-20-2004, 09:49 PM
Limegrntaln

Does it have to be touching something to get hot? Something else is bothering me, Im getting alot of radio glitching, only when i get anthing close to the motor, when I go in to adjust the needles, the throttle servo glitches and it dies, so I have to adjust the needles and start it again, as soon as I touch it its like static electricity, does anyone else get this?
Old 03-20-2004, 09:54 PM
joes75

Hold the glo plug with needle nose pliers tightyl then push the ignitor just as if if were in the engine, you wont need to lock it in just enough pressure to make contact and will light up right away if its ok..Yes you will get some glitching occasionally, its normal, I get it on my onroad also. It shouldnt be so much glitching that it dies out though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.