Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Scared to break my car in

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 12:09 AM
Limegrntaln

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scared to break my car in

Ofna 9.5 RTR

Man now that I have this thing, I dont know what to do first, seems like there is too much to remember, Im looking forward to getting it running and driving it, Ive read so many posts that people reply to basically telling the newbie they are new. I dont know where to start. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 03-20-2004, 12:15 AM
Gsir8

Default RE: Scared to break my car in

put some nitro in it lol
Old 03-20-2004, 12:24 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Just put it up on a shelf and look at it for a while
cus once you drive it it'll never look that nice again

then when you get bored with that, take it out and drive the rubber off the wheels, that's why you bought it ,right?
Old 03-20-2004, 12:26 AM
potatoe_bird
My Feedback: (1)

Take it to your local hobby shop. Most of them will break it in for a small fee. Just make sure they are putting atleast 5 tanks through it.
Old 03-20-2004, 02:32 AM
packfan88
My Feedback: (2)

there is 2 methods of break in and no real concensus on which is "better"

#1 have it idle through 2-3 tanks and putt around the parking lot for 2-3 tanks

#2 idle it for 2 tanks and thats it.

some swear by one and some swear by the other.

if i got a new engine today i would idle it for two tanks putt around for one and drive from then on. thats just me though
Old 03-20-2004, 02:36 AM
joes75

I read something about heat cycling as well. After idling each tank let it cool with the piston at BDC. Is this method used widely as well?
Old 03-20-2004, 02:47 AM
Limegrntaln

yeah I have a gallon of Nitro, its late anyway, I thinkI will put the stickers on it and call it a night. I need to get a crapload of batteries and something to put the glow plug in with, and I will have to pick up some more plugs tomorrow and return my glow igniter, since my car came with one..
Old 03-20-2004, 02:50 AM
joes75

Good luck tomorow..Yes you need a nitro wrench to install/uninstall the glo plug.
Old 03-20-2004, 02:57 AM
maxmod

man i hate idleing throug tanks i am so impatient and i get so bored. i bought a savage 3months ago and for brake in i idled one tank and then began to slowly drive it around. by the third tank i had leaned it of a bit and began to drive i am so impatient. man the savage could idle for 45mins with the size of it,s tank.
what do you think should i get the hobby shop to brake in my new c5 in my new k3.

the only problem is that i don't use there fuel i think it is crap and they don't know i don't use it then they will ask where i got it from. and i can't say that either because i was told not to by the person who gets it for me because he doesn't want to have to sell it to anyone else just friends and some others.
Old 03-20-2004, 03:06 AM
mbx5nitro

what breakin ways do you sugjest for the os rg with pull start
Old 03-20-2004, 03:20 AM
Limegrntaln

Ok mental note return glow starer, get more glo pluggies, glo wrench, 12 AA batts, and some filter oil. Man I want a heat gun but I dont want to spend the money. is there any other safe way to tell how hot the engine is getting?

by the way I was looking around, I dont know how to shut the motor off
Old 03-20-2004, 03:43 AM
Richie-EB4

Two ways
You can squeeze the fuel line from the tank to the carb
OR the qiuckest way is to stick your finger over the exhaust outlet
BEWARE cause it can get HOT
Old 03-20-2004, 03:48 AM
Limegrntaln

Ok im glad there is some sort of neandrathol way to do it other then something logical. Although that makes sense.

I was looking at the car and trying to figure it out. Im glad I asked before I had to figure it out the hard way tomorrow..[8D]
Old 03-20-2004, 04:24 AM
rjcobb

get the motor up to 200 after the third tank and then let it cool all the way down to room temp. that is a true heat cycle and you should not high rev it until you heat cycle it as the sleeve may not yet be fully expanded as well as the piston. I break my engines with 6 tanks, 2 tanks fat at a idle making sure not to let it flood out, then the next tank at a fast idle, next tank temp up to 200 - 220 then 3 tanks rolling on a smooth surface putting a load on the engine more and more as you go. then start your leaning out process one hour at a time and watch the temp. 240 - 270 good for most engines. you can pick up a cheep temp gun 24.00us it is worth the money.
HAVE FUN
Old 03-20-2004, 07:02 AM
Limegrntaln

Cool im going to give it a try, crossing my fingers, I have to go to the LHS to get some stuff glow wrench more plugs filter oil etc.

Thanks again to everyone thats helped me get my buggy on the road, how long does it take to idle a tank out of it?
Old 03-20-2004, 08:30 AM
Slinger247

About 10 mins at the most, depending on how rich the factory settings are on your car. Mine took about 5 mins because it was running rich as hell, it probably shot off more petrol though the pipe than it actually burned !
Old 03-20-2004, 10:08 AM
tgene74

if you have the body on it is kinda hard to pinch the fuel line and the exhaust does get hot....use the toe of your shoe and touch it to the flywheel from underneath the car.....thats the best way to shut it off.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:21 AM
Limegrntaln

Now thats some ingenuity, I would have never thought of that.

I have another question. Say I run the car and I bring it in to check it and its over 270 degrees? do I sit it there and let it cool or do I lean it out and run it more to cool it down? just a question, hopefully it will work out me leaning it slowly

Gregg
Old 03-20-2004, 10:32 AM
theShark

if it overheats richen the highspeed abt 1/2 turn and let it idle....the temp will go down faster than just shutting it off.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:46 AM
Limegrntaln

Thats what I was thinking but I wasnt sure, the more questions I come up with the more I want to pay the local hobby shop $40 to break it in for me. I want to do it myself though. I dont want to learn the hard way but I dont want to spend the $40 on something that I can do myself. Im just hoping that by the end of the day I wont be kicking myself for trying to break it in myself..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84175.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	113448  
Old 03-20-2004, 11:07 AM
joes75

If you dont want to spend all that money on those expensive hand held temp gauges then you can get a venom on board temp monitor, they cost about 25 bucks and are very accurate, thats what I bought. Looks like you might have to buy your daughter an RC next lime..LOL
Old 03-20-2004, 11:28 AM
RBecking

I had my brand new RB engine run in by British Champion David Crompton, these are the instructions they give :

Run the engine in using the same fuel you will use for racing.Nitro models recommend pink power(as they sell it).The engine must be installed in the car . Wheels /tyres must be fitted onto the car and the transmission must be free running.The brakes must be set so that they are NOT binding.
The carburettor has been set at the factory so that the engine will start easily once it has been primed with fuel.WHEN RUNNING IN THE ENGINE ROTATES COUNTER CLOCKWISE WHEN VIEWED FROM THE FRONT,THEREFORE THE STARTER MOTOR WHEEL MUST ROTATE CLOCKWISEWHEN VIEWED FROM THE SAME DIRECTION(AND START TO ROTATE BEFORE THE FLYWHEEL MAKES CONTACT WITH THE WHEEL). THE ENGINE WILL BE VERY TIGHT WHEN THE PISTON REACHES TOP DEAD CENTRE SO IT IS IMPORTANT THAT THE FLYWHEEL IS TURNED CLOCKWISE AS FAR AS IT WILL GO BEFORE BRINGING IT INTO CONTACT WITH THE WHEEL IN ORDER TO GIVE THE WHEEL THE BEST CHANCE OF TURNING THE ENGINE OVER. IF YOU DO NOT DO THIS, THE CHANCES ARE THAT THE PISTON WILL STICK AT TOP DEAD CENTRE. IF THIS HAPPENS THE STARTER WHEEL CANNOT TURN THE ENGINE OVER AND CONTINUED ATTEMPTS TO START THE ENGINE WILL RESULT IN DAMAGE TO THE STARTER WHEEL OR THE STARTER MOTOR WILL BURN OUT. THE ONLY WAY TO FREE IT IS TO TURN THE FLYWHEEL MANUALLY PAST THIS POINT BEFORE ATTEMPTINNG TO START THE ENGINE AGAIN.

Once the engine has started, set and maintain it at a very fast idle (approx. 20% of its full revs) using the settings on your transmitter. Then quickly unscrew both the bottom end an top end needles in that order by 1 full turn to richen the mixture. Readjust the engine speed if necessary as before (approx. 20% of its full revs). Leave the car running on the starter box and monitor the head temperature and oil emissions from the turned pipe. After a minute or so the engine must be running very cool and lots of oil should be present in the exhaust gases coming from the tuned pipe outlet. It may be necesssary to unscrew both the needles further to achieve this. Run for a minimum of four full tanks of fuel through the engine in this way. You must remaing with the car at all times during this process, monitoring the cooling head temperature and oil emissions frequently. DO NOT LET IT RUN OUT OF FUEL DURING THIS PROCESS. After this stage you can progressively lean off the mixture needles over the next tank of fuel. The first time you run the engine after running in ensure that you do so with a slightly rich mixture setting, particularly on the bottom end.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:05 PM
Limegrntaln

Wheew I dont think I ever told you but my kids a boy and I took him out into the living room this morning and as soon as he saw the yellow wheels he couldnt take his eyes off of it.. I have a Nikko buggy that im going to let him play with but hes only going to be a year old next week, so it might be a while before he gets into RC..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79981.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	113461  
Old 03-20-2004, 12:08 PM
joes75

Sorry I couldnt tell from the pic lime..Once he hears that engine he might run away from it though..LOL..
Old 03-20-2004, 12:16 PM
Burnt Toe

I always stop mine just be pushing on the flywheel with my finger, as long as its running idle! I had a problem and the car was reving like mad and tried this once, nearly took my finger clean off!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.