Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Help!!! New 1/8th Scale buggy engine questions..

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Help!!! New 1/8th Scale buggy engine questions..

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 02:42 PM
luketrot
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!! New 1/8th Scale buggy engine questions..

I just bought a new GS Storm RTR this week, after 3 successful tanks one of idling, second of easy driving, 3rd of driving a bit harder.... Now my Storm keeps stalling after a few minutes and my glow starter doesn't show any charge/connection until I replace the glowplug. I have gone through 3 glowplugs... Any idea what is wrong with the motor that it is killing glow plugs to the point the Glow Starter doesn't show a connection? I can stick the glow starter on my XXX-nT and it shows it has plenty of power, yet on the Storm it shows no connection..
Old 03-21-2004, 03:03 PM
Slinger247

Default RE: Help!!! New 1/8th Scale buggy engine questions..

You need to lean out the engine now its started to get run-in. New engines are always set too rich and this fouls up the plugs making them not work.
Old 03-21-2004, 03:05 PM
BigBuzPCR

yeah.... you should have gone through 4-5 tanks at idle, then a couple at a quarter throttle, and then a lil easy running after that. As for the glow plug problem.... i dunno, but i am on my second glowplug.... and it is running fine. I am sure there is an engine guru on here that can help us both out though.
Old 03-21-2004, 04:06 PM
packfan88
My Feedback: (2)

slingers got it

you did a fine job at breakign it, now just lean it out. leaning it reduces the fuel to air ratio. its comes rich to lube the new parts up nice, but after thats done(liek 5 tanks) its time to lean it out.

i went through 4 glow plugs breaking in one engine, and then 2 on another. sometimes your just unlucky.
Old 03-21-2004, 04:26 PM
luketrot

So when a glowplug goes bad the meter on the glowstarter can stop working?? I have only run 3 tanks through the engine, about 20 - 30 min of running time. I have given it some short bursts of gas on this 3rd tank hopfully i'm not rushing the break in... From the manual it says idle first tank, easy running next two by the 5th its fully broke in..

Anyone know the factory carb settings for this engine? Its not in the manual..
Old 03-21-2004, 04:50 PM
hudler
My Feedback: (15)

That's what the meter does. It tells you when the glow plug is bad by not registering. Nice feature to have on the igniter.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:04 PM
luketrot

Can you destory a glowplug running too lean as well? I adjusted the carb and put it back, but I have some doubt in my mind that I may have put it a bit leaner then the factory settings..
Old 03-21-2004, 09:15 PM
joes75
My Feedback: (2)

Yes you can destroy the plug if you run it too lean. The coil element will be dull looking as if it were sanded. If the coil element is dark in color and it seems wet then its too rich. The coil element should be polished looking with no imperfections.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:48 PM
luketrot

I'm currently 4 1/2 turns out.. Anyone know if this is lean or rich for the RTR GS STORM motor? I wanted to see how far out it was because I couldn't find it written anywhere. When I started counting the turns I cought myself counting half turns as 1.. Now I'm not sure what the factory settings where
Old 03-21-2004, 09:51 PM
nitroman88
My Feedback: (5)

Ive never blew a plug on break in, Im not really sure why maybe im just really lucky.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:12 PM
vettespeed

Default Factory carb settings

Factory engine settings: 3.5 turns out on the bottom, flush with the brass tube for top end, and 0.7mm to 1.0mm gap inside the carb for the idle. This is straight form gsracing.com. Remember these are very rich settings for initial break in. Here's the link: http://www.gsracing.com/gsracing/pag...otid=56&id=511
Old 03-22-2004, 12:00 PM
ICEweasel

That is confusing - i never broke a glow plug during breaking in the engine (.21) either [&:] STRANGE....
Old 03-22-2004, 12:21 PM
luketrot

I'm going to lean it in a bit, I think my problem is i'm running to rich. Thanks for the information Vettespeed....
Old 03-22-2004, 12:35 PM
Limegrntaln

Pick up a infrared temp gauge, I was running through my 5th tank of gas when my steering servo crapped out, I checked it when I pulled it in.. 235 degrees, so according to most of the posts ive seen, this is low-midrange heatwise, when Im done with breaking it in all the way I will be looking for somewhere around 250, my glow plug is still getting a little wet.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:02 PM
luketrot

I bought a temp gauge yesterday from radio shack. Its been a huge hit at home. My milk is 34deg frozen chicken -1 my High Output fish tank light is 254 degrees and my wifes foot is 86 degrees... Hopefully she saved me some batteries for my GS Storm..