Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

GS Storm vs HB Lightning 2rr

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 02:24 AM
nitro_D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS Storm vs HB Lightning 2rr

hey,
after my savage i want to buy a buggy. which one is better i will be racing and bashing. i know that the lightning has a .26 engine and that is not a class in buggy racing. thats why i like the storm. but the lightning looks nicer. well i was thinking i will get the lightning and then run that engine till it dies or looses compresiion and then buy a reasonable .21, what do you think is better. there the same price well close the storm is only 20$ more.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:37 AM
sh0wtime

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GS Storm vs HB Lightning 2rr

out of those 2 i'd go for the lightning

better designed & 3 years newer than the GS Storm!
Old 07-08-2004, 02:46 AM
nitro_D

hi,
i won't be getting it very soon but i like the look of the lightning. is there something like an open class for buggies. cause the lightning has a .26, so i could replace it with another good quality .26. or a sirio 27 or a wasp .26. i was thinking that it comes with an engine bigger than a savage engine. and buggies way a lot less.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:07 PM
FireStorm-GA-

Hi there m8

The HB .26 Power House Engine will fit strait into your Savage as well so you can always look for a nice little old .21 engine and keep the .26 for your Savage as a spare.

I will get back to you on how it runs in a Savage as I have just sold my spare .26 to a Savage 25 owner (She dose not have much luck so i felt sorry and sold it to her cheap as her 3 week old Savage 25 Engind died) [X(].

But as far as how good is the Ligthning2rr, well mine keeps on goning and I give it some real bashing DOH [:@]
Old 07-08-2004, 02:19 PM
Da Smak
Banned

Er, Neither for me thanks Weak buggy vs no support. Hmmmm.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:26 PM
nitro_D

thanks firestorm, no thanks grahama. i dont think it is that weak. but your right about the storm
Old 07-08-2004, 08:34 PM
FlashRC

The Storm is weak and I will be selling my Storm Pro soon,

Steve
Old 07-08-2004, 08:36 PM
nitro_D

ok. i like the lightning 2rr anyway. my lhs has all the parts.but the lightning pro is a champion so slowly i will upgrade to the pro parts
Old 07-08-2004, 09:42 PM
HPIDUDE

dont listen to graham, he is soooooo hyper 7 baised. I have a storm and am telling you GET THE LIGHTNING!!!
Old 07-09-2004, 11:18 AM
elmo-uk-

I have the lightning 2. my personal opinion is that it is better than a standard hyper7 pbs in performance and handling but the stock differentials are where it lacks compared to the hyper.

These can be upgraded though. I am personally looking now at the torsion diffs, unless any one can recommend something else.

The cars is a tank and very hard to break as firestorm suggested earlier. I think the only time i have broken something was when i had a head on with my brothers h7 and even then the front shock tower had bent back about 2cm and nothing else but a scratch on the bumper. It took me, my brother and a vice to bend this thing back.
but as good as new now (soon after fitted new pro towers)_

I am running the WS711 in mine and kicks a@#e. I believe that the .26 that comes with it is in fact a .21 body but has been modified in somwe way. i may be wrongbut thats what i heard.

I also heard that because it is a .21 body that this will be excepted in races, but saying that you will have to be a good driver or your never keep up with the pro's.

Could someone tell me whether this info on the .26 in .21 body is right.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:42 PM
RobH

Lightning 2 is a good buggy but it always comes down to parts parts parts. I see nitro_D is in Japan, but here in the states it's hard if not impossible to get parts for the hot bodies buggies (I had one). I donno if they have a large following in Japan, but here in the states no one really has them and therefor you are on your own when it comes to setup and stuff.

NitroD go with the flow man. See what the LHS sells stocks and recommends. See what other folks around those parts are running. If you go with whatever is hot in your area, you wont go wrong. The LHS will always have parts and there will always be people around to help you.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:52 PM
Da Smak
Banned

LOL I aint hyper 7 biased. If I wanted I could have a MP777 but I just dont like the look of it. I never called the lightning weak (Just the GS) I said there was a very poor spares backup for it in the UK. Unless you buy 2 of them you'll have to wait months for bits. If those were the only two buggies on the planet then I too would have the Lightning. Just that they aren't and I have so much invested in H7s that it just seems like I'm Biased. But I am thinking about a Bergonzoni Flash at the mo. New to the UK and very good reults throughout europe.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:46 PM
FireStorm-GA-

Well hi grahama89

I know it can be hard to find parts for the Lightning2, but so far the longest I have had to wait for spares is 3 days and that was only becuase I had to get the works van to go get them. I am lucky though as 2 LHS in my area stock spares for the Lightning2 and each time I go past them I call in a get more spares, for my spares box.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:35 PM
HPIDUDE

dont you tell me that youre not hyper 7 baised Grahama, YOU ARE!!! also i didnt say that you couldnt get a 777
Old 07-09-2004, 09:11 PM
nitro_D

well most people here run mp777 and kanai 3's with rb c7's. and some mugen engines. but let me tell you they are rich ba*****s. they drive amg mercs to the local track. i want to race but i dont care if i dont win.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:40 PM
k-carboy

*ouch*[sm=greedy.gif]lol
Old 07-13-2004, 04:39 PM
mattyk6

Coming from another Storm owner, neither. IMHO, the Storm is a great buggy, but it is old technology. It is like racing a JRXT against a XXX-T. I've only broken two arms on a used storm (different arms by the way, but I'm not surprised that they broke, I was surprised that more didn't break!). RobH made a great post about going thrifty, it just doesn't pay off in the long run. Get a great buggy, great engine, great tires, and great electronics and you will not be sorry. It will be more expensive at first, but it will pay off in the long run.

If I had to start over, I would go with a Mugen or Kyosho.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:33 AM
elmo-uk-

Yeah problems with the spares on the L2 drove me mad at the start waiting a total of 3 months for spare clutch springs. Im actually still waiting for these, but had the sense a couple of months ago to put in a better clutch system. lol

I does seem to be improving here in the UK for l2 spares. as some shops are actually stocking them rather than ordering. Firestorm, me and a couple of other havea thread on this with links to shops in the UK that hold parts. Perhaps a Hotbodies lightning 2 official thread is needed. Dont think there are enough followers to withhold an indepth conversation though.....lol
Old 07-14-2004, 02:48 AM
maxmod

yes i am rich ba*****s it is my dream and i can't even legally drive. bnut who cares if it is legal or not it should be based on your height and ability to drive i am actually very good at driving but sadly i am not allowed. just so u now i am not judging this by a 2m reverse the car for me thanks. i have spent atleast 200hours at the wheel.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:06 PM
crzy-svg-usr

i have a storm the only things that really need to be done to the rtr is new chassi braces and shock towers the rest is strong i dunno about racing cuz i havnt race dit yet but i bashed it plenty hard enough
Old 07-14-2004, 01:34 PM
El Pirata

The only weak point I have seen in a storm is the design of the chassis plate where the a-arms attach, which tend to break from serious bashing. Add a titanium chassis plate and that problem is solved. GS mostly based their design off the Inferno and a freat many parts are interchangable as well. The lightning I have found that pretty much any and all plastic parts shatter when I even think about the mildests bashing. Out of the box I am exceptionally impressed with the storm. Just remember whichever you get these are rtr's so some corners were cut in the hopes of keeping the price low you'll notice the more so with the lightning than you will with the storm.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:28 PM
crzy-svg-usr

yeah i noticed storm is lot like old kyosho designes but the arem holders stink i might drill through and botl them on instead of screw them on
Old 07-14-2004, 02:44 PM
FireStorm-GA-

Hi there M8

i can say that My lightning2rr takes a lot of stick from me as I like to bash hard and fast . So far I have had only a few parts fail to hold up and normaly they only give in when I have bashed them to bits. Maybe what I think of bashing Hard isnt as bad as it looks but when it comes to staying power. I find that I can bash for most of the day, while the othere people I bash with slowly fall by the side of the Track as there MTs and ST slowly die [8D].

A few picks of my poor little Lightning2rr [:@]

Also a few links to some Vids, you will notice that my Lightning2rr is shown quite a bit as it normaly keeps on going [8D]

[link]http://www.network-worker.co.uk/sc_video/SchoolofJumps.wmv[/link]

[link]http://www.network-worker.co.uk/sc_video/SundayDrivers.wmv[/link]

[link]http://www.network-worker.co.uk/sc_video/ThreeSistersFinal.WMV[/link]

[link]http://www.network-worker.co.uk/sc_video/cars.wmv[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68221.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	153633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61206.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	153634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41748.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	153635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj19387.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	153636  
Old 07-14-2004, 03:15 PM
El Pirata

ORIGINAL: FireStorm-GA-
[link]http://www.network-worker.co.uk/sc_video/SchoolofJumps.wmv[/link]

[link]http://www.network-worker.co.uk/sc_video/SundayDrivers.wmv[/link]

[link]http://www.network-worker.co.uk/sc_video/ThreeSistersFinal.WMV[/link]

[link]http://www.network-worker.co.uk/sc_video/cars.wmv[/link]
You gotta do better than 7kbs for a 25mb video.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:59 PM
Da Smak
Banned

ORIGINAL: HPIDUDE

dont you tell me that youre not hyper 7 baised Grahama, YOU ARE!!! also i didnt say that you couldnt get a 777
Yeah whatever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.