Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Which Buggy is the Better Value?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 11:07 PM
R6racer2
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Buggy is the Better Value?

OK FINALLY im gonna get a new buggy, these are what i am considering right now.

Hot Bodies Lightning Pro 2 = $369
Mugen MBX5 = $469
Ofna Hyper7 PCR RTR = $295 + $50(shipping)
Ofna Hyper7 PCR Pro-R = $380 + $50(shipping)
Ofna Hyper7 Pro (the one with the Torsen i think) = $399

I am looking at these ones right now but i dont know which one i should get, i dont know which one is more fully featured and what not. I also want something that will last a while and wont be obsolete after 1 week. I just want suggestions on which is a better value, or if you know of any other better buggys for the price let me know. Good value, racing features, technology, and quality are what im looking for.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:39 PM
impulse

Default RE: Which Buggy is the Better Value?

Where did you find the hyper 7 PCR for $380?
Old 08-14-2004, 11:47 PM
R6racer2

www.rc-mushroom.com
Old 08-15-2004, 12:57 AM
q8

MBX-5
Old 08-15-2004, 01:55 AM
Da Smak
Banned

Hyper 7 Pro (the torsen one) coz if you dont like the Torsen, it comes with the stock diff too, so putnt the Torsen on Ebay and recoup the cash.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:59 AM
maxmod

mbx-5
Old 08-15-2004, 02:03 AM
R6racer2

That one is better than the Pro-R? What are the major differences? The Hyper 7 pros are on the top of my list becuase they seem like a good price, and being the top qualifier doesnt hurt either. The MBX-5 is a little expensive...i duno, does it come with all the stuff the Hyper7 pros do?
Old 08-15-2004, 02:12 AM
Alden

If you want the best out of your list go for the Mbx-5 or Hyper 7, the mbx 5 is now the world champ, but before Aigoin was disqualified he was pretty much the fastest guy the entire week of the worlds with a Hyper 7 Pro. The problem with the mbx-5 and H7 Pro is that you will need to buy a radio/servos/reciever and engine for it because its just the rolling chassis your paying for. If you have the cash its better to go with the kit and then buy a nice engine and electronics. If you need an rtr im sure Grahama89 can reccomend the best ofna buggy for that, i don't have much experience with the ofna buggies :P.

Regards
Alden
Old 08-15-2004, 02:14 AM
R6racer2

I have a JR XR2i radio for it already, i just need to get an engine, and i would rather pick that myself anyway.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:27 AM
maxmod

it's 69usd more than a hyper the mbx-5 and it is well worth it. and if you are going to buy a radio and motor anyway. i would get the mbx-5
Old 08-15-2004, 10:10 AM
shooky

Depends on Parts availability, which one has parts already sitting on your LHS shelves. Mine doesn't carry Mugen so I would go Hyper, but since I have a Kanai 3, I have to get my spares off the net anyway, but Most of the time nothing significant breaks so, It is mainly a brand preference. I like Kyosho because they make great stuff not jusy buggies I.E. the Mini-z are just awsome. So go with what you like best...If I had the money I would get the MBX-5, but if you are on a budget then Hyper, both are top notch manufactures and they both perform well.

Take Care All & GOD Bless
Old 08-15-2004, 12:19 PM
Da Smak
Banned

I think your better off with the H7 Pro. You have the radio and I recommend the Picco P7 with a Rossi 9853 pipe. You obviously know the story from the worlds and that carrying the extra fuel would have been a disadvantage. 1/2 a cc wouldn't not get you round an extra lap. The availabilty for spares in the US for the H7 is massive and if you do have trouble getting it then we can always point you in the right direction. The Mugen is a good buggy but we may never find out who should have won.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:24 PM
R6racer2

My LHS has parts for everything so thats not really a problem...I think ill go with the Hyper7 pro, but which one? The Pro-R or the older one?
Old 08-15-2004, 05:02 PM
Da Smak
Banned

I would prefer the Pro-R. But the older one did have the Torsen if you wanted a free trial.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:04 PM
HPIDUDE

ORIGINAL: R6racer2

I have a JR XR2i radio for it already, i just need to get an engine, and i would rather pick that myself anyway.
mbx5, however you'll want an FM radio for a nitro
Old 08-15-2004, 05:05 PM
Da Smak
Banned

Not always. But preferable.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:08 PM
nurch

AM receivers absorb vibrations like crazy. When you rev your engine up, you will notice your servoes going all over the place sometimes. I would recommend you wrap your AM receiver up with some padding or aluminum foil.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:17 PM
terrible

Just buy mine and be happy I really like the thunder tiger cars but they are rather expensive, unless you buy one used in great condition (hint, hint)
Old 08-16-2004, 01:17 AM
KyoshoKev

get the pro, and sell the engine/manifold/exhaust for at least $100!

so really u r paying $300 for the Hyper vs $470 for the MBX for the same quality gear. the hyper has all the strong gears, shock towers, braces, fuel filter etc.

u can argue the mbx has better steering and better balanced but $170 is important to me.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:31 AM
chickfisher

You mentioned that you wanted something that wouldd not be obsolete after 1 year. That would leave only one choice, the Mugen. They are known for building a very good car and sticking with it for several years. There are tons of aluminum upgrades available from several manufactures (king headz, eck-tec, mugen, etc.). Mugen just released the Pro-Spec, which is just the MBX-5 with all of the upgrades. You can run the car as it comes in the kit form, but if you are competitive and running in some long mains, you will want to upgrade some of the parts for some more strength.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:49 AM
Da Smak
Banned

Chick. The H7 aint gonna be replaced for 2 years yet. At least.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:51 PM
Alden

Hello

Grahama and other Hyper 7 owners, im thinking of maybe getting the Hyper 7 Pro R (toss up between it and TTR s3) for my next buggy and I would just like to ask a few questions on it while were talking bout it.

1: How good are the parts quality as it comes, does it need option parts to be competitive?
2: How good are the shocks in comparison with Kyosho shocks and Mugen ones? And are the shafts thick enough?
3: Have you noticed any inferiority in any area in comparison with other buggies?
4: And is it cheap to keep running ie. durable ? :P
5: Which is the best Hyper 7 Pro, the standard pro or the Ofna Hyper7 Pure Competition Pro-R which i think is also called the Hyper 7 PCR Pro

Just a few things I would like to know, if you know any other positives please share. I know this buggy is fast, as was seen in the worlds, but when your a sponsored racer there are certain things you will put up with. And that Hyper may have had some nifty options :P.

Thanks
Alden
Old 08-16-2004, 01:00 PM
irobotix

Mugen MBX5 = $469
Old 08-16-2004, 01:46 PM
Da Smak
Banned

Alden old bean. The Pro-R was the FASEST car at the IFMAR World champs 2 weeks ago and if it wasn't for the extra 0.5ccs held in the fuel line it would not have been DQed and probably have won outright with a good lead too. So as for any problems or inferiorities, None at all. You can if you wish use the Kyosho shock shafts in the Ho Bao bodies but there is no need to and the kit is a lot easier to work on than the Kyoshos, Mugens, Hot bodies etc... There are loads of hop ups available and the parts are far cheaper than other brands. This really proved itself as a top class buggy at a rock bottom price. Also a good engine (which is a fairly new one) is the Picco P7, mated to a Nova Rossi 9853, I havent seen it beaten.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:41 PM
R6racer2

Hmmm i think ill get the Hyper7 PCR Pro from my LHS cuz they have it for around $425. If i get the MBX5 i still have to pay shipping so it will come out to about $500 anyway and i really dont want to spend that much, even though i would really like a MBX5. Maybe i can get some more cash...i dunno..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.