Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Weird Engine Thing

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 09:44 PM
Mugen Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Engine Thing

Today my engine was running very strong, Something I noticed was about 1/2 way through a tank there was a point when my car seemed to bog almost like it was out of gas. This seemed to happen atleast once during each tank a few time during the day.

My P5 usually runs pretty lean around 230-250. Any ideas what this could be?
Old 08-29-2004, 09:54 PM
k-carboy

Default RE: Weird Engine Thing

check your fuel lines and make sure they aren't being pinched somewhere in the steering. i had this happen to me one time and it took forever to locate the problem.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:22 AM
sh0wtime

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a lean bog to me, this id where the engine leans itself out a little as it gets hot!
try richening up the bottom end half a turn
Old 08-30-2004, 01:27 AM
Da Smak
Banned

Which would suggest you tuned it on a box and didnt track test evry twist of the screw. A big no no. Richen it up on the HSN 1/4 turn and carry on.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:00 AM
Mugen Racer

grahama89 - I am not sure what you are saying here. No I did not tune it onthe box....I tune my car on the track. WHy are you saying to turn the HSN instead of the LSN?
Old 08-30-2004, 08:28 AM
MassiveMods

Im with adamshow and Graham a
sure sounds like lean bog, half a tank is where it kicks in. id start your needle settings from scratch and work from there, also check your tank for leaks. The rubber under the lid.. in some tanks the plastic partitions in the base of the tank can cause differences in pressure , have a look and see where the fuel is when the bog starts.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:37 AM
Mugen Racer

I have been wanting to start my settings from scratch...but have not found any information on what the intial settings should be. I thought it was a lean bog..but think I can just richen up the LSN and be good
Old 08-30-2004, 08:45 AM
MassiveMods

hmmm .. thinking. Usually factory presets are around 3 to 3.5 hsn and 3 for bottom, thats generally speaking. Id really look at your tank as well, also check you rpressure line from your pipe to your tank. if your losing pressure while your fuel goes down then your engine will lean its self. How is the compression on your engine ? is it still hard to turn over or does it feel loose ? if its lose then you may have cooked it.. lets hope not ..
Old 08-30-2004, 09:07 AM
Mugen Racer

Motor runs great, temps at a decent range,, lots of compression left. Pressure tubing was checked and is fine...
Old 08-30-2004, 09:20 AM
Da Smak
Banned

I said that because if it's Idling then enough fuel is getting through. The bogging I guess is when you WOT, which would require a richening of the HSN. The other thing is a Fuel line may have a pin hole in, Check for bubbles in there.

I was assuming abount the box tune, appologies.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:33 AM
MassiveMods

and you checked the rubber seal under the tank lid ?

have you had the sleeve in the engine modified ? hmmm ... sometimes when you pull your engine apart and you happen to scratch the outside of the sleeve it will cause bogging once the engine heats up. but it would happen way before half a tank.. Strange.. it still bogs when the temps are good... have you changed fuel recently? what are your hsn and lsn at ? check that your carb is in tight ?
Old 08-30-2004, 09:33 AM
Mugen Racer

No problem, I think it may come down to a fuel tube...need to give a better look. The car does not bog anywhere in the powerband..just this weird thing