Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

OFNA Hex Drivers, any good?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 08:18 AM
RJP-63

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OFNA Hex Drivers, any good?

I'm looking for high quality hex drivers ranging from 1.5-3mm, my normal source for tools i.e. Snap-on doesn't have what I'm looking for. Hudy drivers look very nice; however availably of the 4 individual drivers I'm looking for is spotty, and I don't want to have to buy the 8-piece standard/metric set just to get the four metric drivers I want. I can find several 4-piece OFNA driver sets that fit the bill, but I'm not sure about their long-term quality. I want high quality tools that last; do the OFNA's drivers fit-the-bill? Any other recommendations for high quality drivers are welcome too. Thanks.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:54 AM
Metalhack
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: OFNA Hex Drivers, any good?

My suggestion as far as hex drivers is to get ball end hex drivers. The reason is the ball end allows you to use the driver at an angle. Whereas if you use the straight hex driver at an angle you will damage the driver and hex bolt. The OFNA's do not appear to have the ball end. J/M/O..Unfortunetly I am not at home so I cant tell you what kind I have but I picked them up at my LHS.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:04 AM
scrapheep

OFNA drivers are hardened and warrenteed for life...break or strip one OFNA will replace...you pay the shipping of course[>:]
Old 12-22-2004, 10:05 AM
madweazl

The ball end drivers are great to have, IF, you have a high quality tool. In my opinion there are no better drivers on the planet than the Thorps (think they are under MIPs name now). I'm kicking myself for selling mine [&o]
Old 12-22-2004, 10:29 AM
SKYLINE350GT

Hudy makes great ball end drivers. As for the Ofna Ball Ends- I do not recommend them. Mine didnt last too long before the ball ends broke off into the screw.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:22 PM
Da Smak
Banned

lol. Well my Hudys that came with the XB8 are all now in some landfill due to their brittleness.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:46 PM
SKYLINE350GT

The Hudy's that came with my XB8 are still fine- and over 6 months old. Regardless- the ones that come with the XB8 are the new profitools- a lower grade/quality more affordable line that hudy makes. If you try the real Hudy's they are much better.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:39 AM
maxmod

i have the real hudys i personaly don't like them at all mine are stripped out now i went back to my reliable flip out alem key drivers never failed on me.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:35 PM
RJP-63

Thanks for the input; I'm surprised to hear such divergent comments regarding the Hudy drivers. After looking at the OFNA drivers again I think I'll pass, simply because they don't sell replacement tips. A lifetime warranty is fine, but I'd rather have the option of buying a replacement tip and not have to send the tool back and wait for a replacement.

ORIGINAL: Fyredup

My suggestion as far as hex drivers is to get ball end hex drivers. The reason is the ball end allows you to use the driver at an angle. Whereas if you use the straight hex driver at an angle you will damage the driver and hex bolt. The OFNA's do not appear to have the ball end. J/M/O..Unfortunetly I am not at home so I cant tell you what kind I have but I picked them up at my LHS.
With respect to ball-head hex drivers, I have a good set of L-Shaped drivers I use when I need to, but the reduced contact area between ball wrench and fastener leads to a greater probability of damaging or completely stripping the fastener; therefore I only use them when I have to enter the fastener at an angle.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:49 PM
Metalhack
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: RJP63

but the reduced contact area between ball wrench and fastener leads to a greater probability of damaging or completely stripping the fastener
Actually I/M/O they really dont. I cant offer an explanation as to why....but they just dont.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:49 PM
neil.jb

i have the normal hudy drivers and they are superb, i cant recommend them enough, great quality and after months of hard use the tips are still as good as the day i got them