Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

X-Terminator Break-in Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 08:39 PM
Jag3k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-Terminator Break-in Troubles

I recently bought an X-Terminator. Today my attempts to break it in proved futile, as I could barely get it running. I read the directions on starting the engine meticulously, and followed them exactly. I have Thunderbold #3 glow plugs, and XTM 20% Nitro fuel. The first time it started, and ran for approximately 1m20s before suddenly shutting off. The temperature only got up to 88F, however. I attempted to adjust the HSN, LSN, and idle stop screw to no avail -- it didn't start. At this time my glow ignitor's battery was running low so I gave up for a few hours while that was charging. A few hours later, and quite a bit of time attempting to start it, it started. It ran for approximately 10 seconds before turning off. Now, with all that said, I have questions...

1) For break-in, where should the HSN, LSN, and idle stop be set? I played with them quite a bit, so they're far from the stock settings. I read the settings in the book, and those definitely didn't seem right.

2) The engine isn't hydro locked. However, when I pull the pull-start, It's extremely stiff after a few pulls. If I loosen the glow plug a bit, it's fine. Is it ok to leave the glow plug slightly loose like that? I'm scared I'm going to break the pull-start.

I appreciate all advice, as there's no way I'm going to get this broken in (let alone running properly) by myself.

Thanks again,
Jag3k
Old 12-29-2004, 09:25 PM
rustler 1

Default RE: X-Terminator Break-in Troubles

SAME HAPPENED HERE I DIDNT HYDR LOCK MINE BUT IT SIEZED AT THE TOP OF THE ENGINE. TRY TO BUT A BLOW DRYER TO THE TOP WHEN STARTING HELPED ME
Old 12-29-2004, 09:38 PM
UF DUB

well, for starters, 3 turns out on each is pretty close for starting. final tune is usually between 3 and 2.5 turns out on both low and high. my settings are at about 2.75 on each. if u cant get it to start, lean the needles a LITTLE. lean it till it will just run, but make sure temps reach 200 degrees F, or u are doing more harm than good. if u break it in right, the 24.7 engine will last a long time.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:37 AM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

Sounds like this is your first nitro engine? If it is you should know that everyone has probs with their first one. These engines are kinda finicky until you get them figured out. Just keep working with it and listen to people off the board. For one, tighten that glow plug back up. Be glad the engine is stiff. Means the cylinder has good pinch.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:30 AM
Jag3k

Everybody can't possibly have as much trouble as I'm having. It seems like I'm going to ruin the engine just trying to break it in []. And when the glow plug is tight, I'm scared to pull the cord as it feels a bit tight, and I don't want to break it [].
Old 12-30-2004, 02:13 AM
JNS

unhook the fuel line, take off the glow plug, turn the whole thing upside down and shake it a little to get the fuel out, put a drop of oil in the cylinder, put the plug back in, pull and thats what your compression should feel like, if it gets much harder, do the same process as before just without taking off the fuel line
if you cant get it to start try switching plugs, did u use the stock one or immediately went to the thunderbolt #3 O_o? if the compression is still worrying you, take another o-ring from another glowplug and put it on the glow plug your using (two copper rings decreases the compression and decreases power) another thing is to make sure the screws on the engine head are all tight
first couple times you start it you need to leave the plug ignitor on for at least 30 seconds it also may help to lean the LSN and HSN by about 1/5 of a turn from factory settings, as the factory were rich but way too rich on my particular engine if none of this works go to your LHS or somebody you know and ask them to take a look at it
Old 12-30-2004, 02:58 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Also try shooting the jug of the engine with a heat gun or hair dryer.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:21 AM
Jag3k

ORIGINAL: JNS

unhook the fuel line, take off the glow plug, turn the whole thing upside down and shake it a little to get the fuel out, put a drop of oil in the cylinder, put the plug back in, pull and thats what your compression should feel like, if it gets much harder, do the same process as before just without taking off the fuel line
if you cant get it to start try switching plugs, did u use the stock one or immediately went to the thunderbolt #3 O_o? if the compression is still worrying you, take another o-ring from another glowplug and put it on the glow plug your using (two copper rings decreases the compression and decreases power) another thing is to make sure the screws on the engine head are all tight
first couple times you start it you need to leave the plug ignitor on for at least 30 seconds it also may help to lean the LSN and HSN by about 1/5 of a turn from factory settings, as the factory were rich but way too rich on my particular engine if none of this works go to your LHS or somebody you know and ask them to take a look at it
The only oil I have is XTM air filter oil. I tried the stock plug and then went to the Thunderbolt #3 when I was having troubles, although both are still good. I don't recall leaving the glow ignitor in after starting the engine the first time, which may have been why it cut off.

Could the engine have cut off because it was running to lean? The first time I started it I noticed that there weasn't any blue smoke coming from the exhaust, which is a sign of it running too lean, right?
Old 12-30-2004, 02:49 PM
UF DUB

when i first broke in my 24.7, it was way rich and i had to leave the glow igniter on for a while. when it was running, it was spitting out gobs of oil out the exhaust. i had to lean the lsn some to get it to idle better. u want 200 degrees at the head, thats the main thing.

make sure its not flooded

use a hairdryer to heat it up first, this should help a lot.

be patient, the first engine break in is always fun steep learning curve