Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Truggy, which is the one to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 12:35 AM
Fastsvt
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truggy, which is the one to buy?

Since there isn't a "Truggy" thread to put this in, then i think this is the next closest one. I am looking at a couple of diff truggies and was looking for some advice on which to buy. I am looking pretty hard at a Storm SUT, and also considering a Lightning Stadium Truck. Anybody got any goods or bads on these 2 units. I also have a new Inferno Sport and an older MP-5 that i may convert if i don't buy a new one. I am leaning towards the Storm pretty heavly since a LHS has 2 in stock (assuming christmas overstock) and has them priced at $299, yes that is for the rtr setup. Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:47 AM
cemeb4dk

Default RE: Truggy, which is the one to buy?

Ifou are seriously considering racing, I would stay away from the SUt. I had a pro kit and had it hopped up just like their team driver and I think every time I raced it I broke a lower a arm or something. Plus I never liked the way it jumped on smaller type jumps. I tried everything and finally threw in the towel and sold it. I now have a converted K2 into a truggy, and it handles 1000 times better than the SUt.

The hot bodies looks ok, but my concern would be parts availability, and if you are going to go this route get the pro version

Good luck in your choice
Old 01-05-2005, 04:31 AM
petrolpixie

i would look into the carson rockwilder. i have one of these and i have raced it as well and it handles great. i also have put an rb 28 into it and it hauls *****. the rockwilder is basically a truggy version of the sacker 1/8 buggy
Old 01-05-2005, 06:18 AM
scrapheep

I raced against a SUT all summer...when the SUT could last thru a 15 min main it was formidable, but not durable enough to finish half the races it ran.
For a production truggy the lightning pro version is quite durable,just needs the usual upgrades for servos and the stock engine is weak.
Word is still out on the RR version of the lightning, but at our local indoor track there have been 3 guys running the RR with no durability issues yet.
The pro versions seem to be hard to come by right now, my brother has had one on order for a month now, and just decided to go ahead with the RR...$399 from ultimate.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:28 AM
MassiveMods

ORIGINAL: petrolpixie

i would look into the carson rockwilder. i have one of these and i have raced it as well and it handles great. i also have put an rb 28 into it and it hauls *****. the rockwilder is basically a truggy version of the sacker 1/8 buggy

the only problem with the RB 28 is the clutch bearings, they mistriously dissapear ... lol

i reckon the Remo is a great option personally... the rosckwilder is really nice too,, depends on your prefrence..
Old 01-05-2005, 10:48 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

If the choice is betwen the HDs and the GS,, I'd get the Hot bodies
Your post says not what you'll be doing with it?
Racing or just bashing?
if you are careful enough/a very good driver(dont crash hard a lot) the SUT is an ok choice too

another option
since the 777 release you can pick up prety tricked out K2s-3s cheap and do a custom convertion
then you'll have an awesome and durable ride. I haven't been able to break my Hyper7 truggy in a race yet

ORIGINAL: MassiveMods
the only problem with the RB 28 is the clutch bearings, they mistriously dissapear ... lol
How can the engine be responsable for you having clutch bering issues?? LOL
Check your set up my freind, sounds like you have some serious overheating in the clutch going on if you're loosing bearings.
When I first tried to convert my H7 all I did was add the Dominator wheels,,it burnt the clutch shoes and bearings..Now I got the right gearing and they're lasting a long time
Old 01-05-2005, 11:55 AM
zzman
My Feedback: (3)

im doing the 7.5 trug and its almost done. you can get a kit from Hole Shot (do a search on ebay) for about $150 and it is carbon fiber[X(] and thick as heck this is the best rout ive found yet.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:51 PM
cemeb4dk

Yes the k series truggy is the way to go. If you get the Holeshot conversion for the 150. Have your dremel close by. It is a good kit, just needed alot of fine tuning to fit properly.

But again the only reason for you to get a truggy is if you are going to race, if you are just going to bash and want the truggy type look, I would get a mammoth or lst or monster gt or something
Old 01-05-2005, 04:47 PM
bib

I just got the HB Lightning Stadium RR (today). I will keep you posted after this weekend as to how it performs. From what I read it is a truggy to make the others rethink (I hope this is correct)
Old 01-05-2005, 06:28 PM
zzman

cemeb4dk
the only thing i had to dremmel was where the front top pins come through the towers. they were to short so on the diff on the other side i counter-sunk the pins in further so they made it out the other side.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:21 PM
SKYLINE350GT

Far from it. It's a POS in my book. I had the pro with aluminum arms and it broke every race. WHole front ends ripped clean off. Hot Bodies has also raised there prices on replacement parts. Than I tried the plastic arms and they flex so much the truck handles even worse than before. It's not that great of a truck at all. And usual Hot Bodies shotty craftsmanship! Cheap weak parts and all! GREAT CUSTOMER Service though- but thats about the only thing they have going for them.
ORIGINAL: bib

I just got the HB Lightning Stadium RR (today). I will keep you posted after this weekend as to how it performs. From what I read it is a truggy to make the others rethink (I hope this is correct)
Old 01-05-2005, 08:35 PM
JNS

i'd say get the GS SUT, some guys at the track ive talked to about the SUT liked it but said not to have a bad crash, but if you boil the stress parts on the truck it'd become much tougher it'd toughen up the entire truck just making the most voulnerable parts a bit more flexible
Old 01-05-2005, 09:22 PM
sjm
My Feedback: (8)

[quote]ORIGINAL: SKYLINE350GT

Far from it. It's a POS in my book. I had the pro with aluminum arms and it broke every race. WHole front ends ripped clean off. Hot Bodies has also raised there prices on replacement parts. Than I tried the plastic arms and they flex so much the truck handles even worse than before. It's not that great of a truck at all. And usual Hot Bodies shotty craftsmanship! Cheap weak parts and all! GREAT CUSTOMER Service though- but thats about the only thing they have going for them.
[quote]

Boy I hate to hear that! I just ordered one New Year Day from Ultimate. I guess at $359 with free shipping I can't complain. What would you suggest to change on it right away?
Old 01-05-2005, 09:43 PM
Fastsvt
My Feedback: (5)

Well, i am still undecided. I'm not in a big hurry for one at the moment. The reason i was looking into one is because of the $299 price for the Storm SUT at a LHS. He has 2 and said they will be that price until they are gone. Hopefully he will have them for a few more weeks. I have done some searching and i see that the SUT usually sells in the $395-449 range. I just purchased a new MP 7.5 Sports RTR to go along with my MP-5. It just came in today so it won't get broken in for a few days, to my projects and side work to complete first.
As for a backyard bashing, run over anything truck i have a Titan Twin that i just got finished breaking in. It is pretty awesome. I am pretty sure what ever truggy i do buy will not be for racing. There aren't any local tracks here anymore, there haven't been for a while. I am in Nash, Tn., anyone have or know of any good tracks within a reasonable distance from me? I am a better than average driver so crashes would be a thing that happens often so there wouldn't be much broke, unless i go air it out at the local bmx track. I have destroyed a 10gt from doing that.

cemeb4dk - does the Holeshot conversion work on an MP-5 or just a current Inferno? I would rather convert my older buggy instead of the brand new one.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:38 PM
cemeb4dk

I dont believe so, check their website and drop them an email www.holeshoteng.com

Hyper, I had to dremel radio tray, because nuts that hold spur gears together was rubbing. Had to dremel the holes for my brake cams, they where to small and pinched the cams to tight, also had to dremel the top brace because my linkage was hitting it. Also had to re dril a new hole on the steering plate, because the stock one made the chassis brace rub my center cva. Also had to dremel down the diff lifts because they where hitting my clutch bell. My friend bought a kit at the same time and he had the exact probs. So I don't knwo if we just got a bad batch, either way not to impress with craftsman ship...
Old 01-05-2005, 11:57 PM
scale only 4 me

I holeshot's defense, the Price vs Craftsmanship seamed okay to me.
I'm running a set of the shock towers on my H7 buggy and I had the same "so so craftmanship" as far as the CNC work goes, I did have to do a little work to get the wing mount and front hinge pins to work perfect, but they are very strong and have been holding up great.

Just my 2 cents on HS

Seams like you did have to do a lot of tinkering thou,,,I was thinking of getting one of those kits to[]
Old 01-06-2005, 12:04 AM
cemeb4dk

see I run dom wheels, so I didnt need the extenders for the wheels and I am just running the stock towers. So he sold me the radio tray, center diff hardware and spur gear for 85.00. But it comes with no instructions, so I had to figure alot out on my own, as that I had to raise my throttle servo, etc. Also his carbon fiber is not sealed on the edges, so you should take CA and seal the edges. Also the spur gear sits a little to forward so the bell and spur meet in the front half of the bell. So far its holding up, but not where I usually alighn.

I am not bashing him, I just expected a little but better craftsman for the money. So far it works ( after the tinkering). The real test is tomoorow night when I hit the track.

But if you want to run a K2 truggy and want to run the large MT tires you need his conversion
Old 01-06-2005, 12:20 AM
scale only 4 me

I'm running the dom wheels too with the ofna 15mm extenders. I don't think I could traction roll this thing if I wanted to. handling is awesome, something to consider

I thought about that but I don't think it really need to be sealed,,
Do any manufactures seal the edges after the cnc cut CF parts?

the hyper has the sliding engine mounts so it's no biggie on the hyper truggy,,,
How did you drill through the stock spur??

Skyline has a point, you never hear/read (GS --- Durability) or (Hot bodies --- Craftmanship) used in the same sentence, unless the words "not very good" are somewhere in between.

Old 01-06-2005, 09:04 AM
cemeb4dk

K series has the same engine mount. All Cf edges should be sealed otherwise the layers can start to pull apart.

I had o go buy a hardened drill bit 1/8th from the local ace hardware
Old 01-06-2005, 09:29 AM
zzman

cemeb4dk
i had to buy just the opposite-towers and body mounts $45 from them. i wasnt too impressed either w/ their finished product but i like tinkering and it didnt take much. so im not gonna *****. the other kits ive seen cost almost double and for that price out weighs the little bit of dremmeling i had to do. fast shipping(3days) and it works fine. good idea on the edges! how to you keep from getting the CA on the rest? did you just wipe it off quick...
Old 01-06-2005, 01:22 PM
cemeb4dk

I used a q tip
Old 01-09-2005, 06:44 PM
petrolpixie

Check your set up my freind, sounds like you have some serious overheating in the clutch going on if you're loosing bearings.
When I first tried to convert my H7 all I did was add the Dominator wheels,,it burnt the clutch shoes and bearings..Now I got the right gearing and they're lasting a long time
massive is just $h*t stirring me lol
it has to do with when i was racing one weekend and massive mods was pitting for me. we were having a problem on one of the races where the car would stall after every fuel stop, just after we put the car down.
we thought it was possibly over heating but everytime we temped it it was fine. we tried all sorts of solutions, all of which didnt work.
then on the off chance that i had my motor out to get my center diff out, massive took my clutch bell off just to have a look around and found that one of the bearings had totally destroyed itsself and there was not a single piece of it left lol.
it was such a simple area that we had over looked.
now massive gives me heaps about it when ever he can lol
we just wont mention his blown diff in the warm up to the main.... the one that he would of won for sure ... with my expert hands pitting for him lol
oops did i just think out loud???
hey massive... maybe picco boy has a new home in my rockwilder, then we can race him again in the next races!!!
Old 01-09-2005, 08:14 PM
MassiveMods

ORIGINAL: petrolpixie

massive is just $h*t stirring me lol
it has to do with when i was racing one weekend and massive mods was pitting for me. we were having a problem on one of the races where the car would stall after every fuel stop, just after we put the car down.
we thought it was possibly over heating but everytime we temped it it was fine. we tried all sorts of solutions, all of which didnt work.
then on the off chance that i had my motor out to get my center diff out, massive took my clutch bell off just to have a look around and found that one of the bearings had totally destroyed itsself and there was not a single piece of it left lol.
it was such a simple area that we had over looked.
now massive gives me heaps about it when ever he can lol
we just wont mention his blown diff in the warm up to the main.... the one that he would of won for sure ... with my expert hands pitting for him lol

sigh... im still spewing about that ! PICCO Boy will rule now that he has had the treatment... im still keen to hear how that thing goes..
oops did i just think out loud???
hey massive... maybe picco boy has a new home in my rockwilder, then we can race him again in the next races!!!
Old 01-09-2005, 11:46 PM
scale only 4 me

I see,,, but you guy that little inside joke may confuse others into thinking running a .28 could somehow be bad,,,thank for clearing that up
Old 08-24-2005, 08:21 PM
jjam

SAME QUESTION Mayhem ST or Hotbobies stadium pro

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.