Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Kyosho MP777 TWITCHY????

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 01:39 PM
fourboltmain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kyosho MP777 TWITCHY????

I test drove an MP777 SP-1 in anticipation of trading off my K3s to get ready for this year's season. I found the 777 to be excellent when cornering, but unpredictable through moguls and down fast, bumpy straights. So much was the instability that you had to let off the gas and constantly correct unless you were turning, which is by far the buggy's strong suit. Has anyone else here experienced these issues, and if so, how have you corrected them. It almost makes me want to wait until the next 777 iteration comes out, because while the 777 can cut under my K3s in the corners, it is unpredictable on other parts of the track. Not bashing, and not really interested in much other than Kyosho products, but I was left feeling a little luke-warm about this new buggy. The lap times with the K3 I brought were about 2 sec./lap faster than the latest Kyosho offering. Does it take getting used to?? Are there easy fixes for instability?? We traded shock oils during the testing session, but not diff oils or springs and it did not help the situation. Oh well, didn't want to tun this into a rant, but I have run Kyosho products since the MP-5, and this is the first newly designed buggy that did not have me dropping down the plastic immediately after a test session. There has to be some of you who have experienced this and fixed it. All ideas and opinions welcome.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:47 PM
MoJoe

Default RE: Kyosho MP777 TWITCHY????

hi what is your current setup. with toe, camber, castor, etc

here is a start

FR toe +1
RR toe -3
camber -2deg
3/5/3 diff oil
castor 22 deg (if still to twitchy try the mp7.5 hub carrier instead)
Old 01-08-2005, 05:50 PM
Chex

the 777 demands a totally different style of driving to its older brethren. Theres a huge amount of info on this on the sgrid page, and I think Greg Degani calmed the car down by using 3k oil in the rear, and using a standard diff in the front, also with 3k an 7k in the middle. He used 1k on bumpier tracks in the back. One major difference between k2/3 and 777 tha I find is that the 777 needs a much smoother drinving style compared to the 7.5's need to be pushed hard. A lot of people have had trouble adjusting from 7.5 to 777, but a lot of people have ended up preferring the 777 after adapting.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:59 PM
breakin2
My Feedback: (1)

Do you guys think this would be a good beginner car then? I have one, but haven't built it yet. I've raced before, but never 1/8 scale buggy.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:10 PM
Mrfranchize02

Never say a car is twitchy....it's 90% setup. That expensive buggy car will drive like a Radio Shack car with the wrong setup or a cadillac with a proper setup. My Trip 7 drives itself, but my setup best fits my track. The car is very adjustable, you just have to fine tune it to perfection.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:35 PM
sh0wtime

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 777 is twitchy as hell & i got rid of the problem by getting an XB8

i don't yet know if the XB8 is any better but it builds up a nice kit
Old 01-08-2005, 06:57 PM
SKYLINE350GT

Do as MoJoe says and use the 3K in the rear. This might help it. Mines hooked.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:43 AM
fourboltmain

ORIGINAL: Mrfranchize02

Never say a car is twitchy....it's 90% setup. That expensive buggy car will drive like a Radio Shack car with the wrong setup or a cadillac with a proper setup. My Trip 7 drives itself, but my setup best fits my track. The car is very adjustable, you just have to fine tune it to perfection.
I figured it was in the set-up, goof. That is why I was soliciting ideas and opinions on the subject. This is not my first barbeque, I am not some newb you are going to impress with semantics. Now please feel free to share your set-up solutions or feel free to zip it.

Thanks to all of those who offered ideas and possible solutions, unlike the poster quoted above.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:23 AM
Chex

ORIGINAL: Mrfranchize02

Never say a car is twitchy....it's 90% setup. That expensive buggy car will drive like a Radio Shack car with the wrong setup or a cadillac with a proper setup. My Trip 7 drives itself, but my setup best fits my track.

I hope mine never drives like a cadillac [&:] .....jus the thought gives me shivers....
Old 01-09-2005, 08:45 AM
Muswagon

Four bolt main,

He wasn't trying to be a knob or anything with his reply. If you cannot handle this forum without your ego getting in the way, just PM people you know have answers. Geez.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:30 AM
fourboltmain

I don't need a lesson on jargon, what I need are ideas and possible fixes. Why use PMs when everyone can benefit from the information? No egos here, just mild frustration. BTW, do you have any ideas on how to make the car act a little more tame?
Old 01-09-2005, 10:35 AM
fourboltmain

ORIGINAL: Chex

I hope mine never drives like a cadillac [&:] .....jus the thought gives me shivers....
LMAO [sm=biggrin.gif]
Old 01-09-2005, 10:41 AM
Dobe

From my knowledge I have heard that the 777 is a more aggresive buggy, I have heard it has phenomenal steering, but have also heard alot about its aggresiveness which make it a bit more difficult to drive, but I'm sure with practice it can be used to your advantage. If you ask me its alot to do with driving style. Some people will be able to drive the pants off a 777 and really use that great steering while others will prefer a more stable driving experience. I own an XB8 and it feels very stable and I believe the Mugen MBX-5 is even more stable with a bit less steering. Please correct me if I'm wrong but do not flame me if what I have said here is not entirely correct, many people will have lots of different experiences with different buggies.

With tuning of the buggy it can be made to suit your style. Fourboltmain I understand you are not a newb so use your knowledge of setups to try different things. I think starting with diff oils will make it more stable, thicker oil in the back usually does the trick, while steering is sacrificed it won't matter too much with all the steering the 777 has already. Less stiff springs and thicker oils in the shocks will reduce aggresiveness. I have heard good things about the 777 an I'm sure if you get it there will be a way to make it run the way you want.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:44 AM
fourboltmain

Thanks, Dobe.

It is Sunday morning here, and I am going to borrow the car again and give it another shot with a differential and diff oil change. Maybe then the car will settle down enough to practice with and get used to. Thanks for your input.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:45 AM
Chex

yea, try 3k oil in the back and 3k in a standard diff up front...its quite cheap to convert an LSD to standard. (i think). Also you could set it up to understeer a little more...

I downloaded the XB8 manual and printed out the chapter in ther on settingup the car, it explains what any set up changes do to the cars behaviour, i got it from

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/m_i...9bdc109f5296c3

hope it helps, its way better than what kyosho give in their manual
Old 01-09-2005, 10:57 AM
Dobe

Its a pleasure fourbolt.

Chex has a good idea, it is a nice basic guide that comes with the xray, it lets you know what will happen when you change certain things. It can be very useful to get it to do what you want. Also if anyone wants to get very advanced and deep into the dynamics of suspension, alignements, roll center, center of gravity, dampening, springs, everything to do with setup etc. go to this link [link=http://www.teamorion.com/faq/car-handling.asp]Team Orion setup[/link] it is alot to read but if you learn it well you will know exactly how to get whatever you want out of your vehicle. Its very advanced and technical but its great if you really want to know what you are doing and setup like a pro.

Hope this can help
Old 01-09-2005, 12:16 PM
sh0wtime

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good link Dude
lots of detailed information on there
Old 01-09-2005, 12:46 PM
dmckie

Try a toe adjustment on the front, (toe out) more cornering, less stable on the bumpy straits.
(Toe in) decreced cornering ,but more stable on the bumpy stuff.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:37 PM
fourboltmain

Thanks, guys!!! A lot of great information here, and the car does do a lot better set up as 3/7/3 with no LSD up front. I appreciate everyone's input and direction. I think I am just going to order a couple of regular 777s and then just hop them up with King Headz stuff and some universals. Once again, I appreciate it!!!
Old 01-09-2005, 04:52 PM
breakin2
My Feedback: (1)

As a self-professed noob to this class, what's so bad about the LSD up front?
Old 01-10-2005, 05:29 AM
Chex

nothing if it suits you, its just that taking it out makes it easier to drive , and the adjusatbility of a standard diff is nice to have and more adaptable to different tracks and conditions
Old 01-10-2005, 10:56 AM
madweazl

Less stiff springs and thicker oils in the shocks will reduce aggresiveness.
Hmm, seems like it would do the opposite to me. A lighter spring would decrease the rebound speed while the thick oil would slow the compression speed. It would be less responsive and would be even worse on a bumpy track I would think.