Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Whats a good starter box?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 03:35 PM
crusher03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats a good starter box?

I just picked up a RB ws7 2 for my hyper pbs, nowing that my stock plastic box had trouble startin the hyper 8 port, which are pinched alot compared to other motors. I also wired it so it would use my car battery instead of stick packs. I would like to start using a gell battery for the bump box. I thought it would be time to upgrade my box.
Whats a good one for less than $100. thanks
Old 02-02-2005, 09:21 PM
Carnutz68
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Whats a good starter box?

Heres a link to look at, you will need a 1/8 scale box, and ofna has good ones.
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0091p?&C=PCC&V=OFN]click here for starter box[/link]
Old 02-02-2005, 10:53 PM
gfkostas

Anyone knows a starter box strong enough to start a cold engine?
Old 02-03-2005, 12:05 AM
RJP-63

ORIGINAL: gfkostas

Ofna 1/8 Starter Box On/Off Road w/12V Motor
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCUC2&P=0
Old 02-03-2005, 01:41 PM
livthemoment

yep, i have that one, it is great
Old 02-03-2005, 03:09 PM
gfkostas

I noticed that the box RJP63 recommends takes 12V battery.I already have 2 sets pf 7.2V 3600Mah batteries and they were pretty expensive so am looking for a box to use them[&o].Can i still use both of 7.2V? and how
Old 02-09-2005, 09:00 PM
[email protected]

That Ofna box is the one to go with, but realize it does have some issues you will have to deal with when you are building it. The newer ones use different connectors on the side of the box, but the connectors on the wires they include haven't changed, thus they don't fit. Plan on having to change out the two Y connectors. We have also built a couple of these boxes that included the wrong size lock nut for the motor shaft.

Minor things, but just be prepared for them.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:43 PM
SKYLINE350GT

I noticed that the box RJP63 recommends takes 12V battery.I already have 2 sets pf 7.2V 3600Mah batteries and they were pretty expensive so am looking for a box to use them[&o].Can i still use both of 7.2V? and how

The Mugen purple box is awesome. It's got the same if not more torque than the Ofna Big Blue Chrome tp box and its half the size and a quarter the weight. And it takes stick packs.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:25 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Most any box will start a "cold engine",,, Now a cold engine that hasn't finished break in yet??? that's a different story,,,

Tha ofna box we talked about is the strongest out there, but it still is hard when the engine is new and cold
Old 02-10-2005, 08:31 PM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

I'm "pretty sure" you can use those two 7.2v packs on a 12v starter motor. I'm sure someone will correct me if I"m wrong. : ) Just have to wire them in series. Gives you 14.4v. A charged gel cell puts out 13-13.5 so not much diff. Little more power I would suspect.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:05 PM
SKYLINE350GT

Get the mugen purple starter box. you won't be disappointed at all.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:56 PM
penggoy

Is there a 12v gel cell small enough to fit inside the mugen starter box? I have 2 2400mah stick packs but they wouldnt last longer than the gel cell. I drilled a hole so I can bring the wires out for the 12v gel cell that I have but I want a 12v that I can put inside the starter box.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:13 PM
home13oy75
My Feedback: (1)

I just bought the ofna starter box with the chrome top. Do you know if pegs were included to align the buggy on the top of starter box? I did not have any pegs and just wanted to make sure it was just not missing. I also had problems trying to tighten the lock nut on the motor - the nut would just spin the motor shaft - and I have no idea how to tighten it. Do you think the wrong size nut was included? Thanks!
Old 03-17-2005, 01:27 AM
zimzalahbim
My Feedback: (8)

i had a purple mugen box, and that thing burst into flames when trying to start a new motor, and the starter box was new also. i just bought the ofna chrome top but haven't had a chance to use it yet. i am concerned that the starter wheel on the ofna box has a much wider girth than my other ofna box, and won't allow my 777 to sit flat on top of the box.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:36 AM
sjm

Damn...... I didn't want to hear that! I just ordered the Mugen box
Old 03-17-2005, 02:19 AM
zimzalahbim

the mugen box has those cheap little 540 motors, and one of them started to burn. i think it was a really nice box other than the cheap electric motors. it was indeed small, which was nice
Old 03-18-2005, 01:49 PM
livthemoment

ORIGINAL: home13oy75

I just bought the ofna starter box with the chrome top. Do you know if pegs were included to align the buggy on the top of starter box? I did not have any pegs and just wanted to make sure it was just not missing. I also had problems trying to tighten the lock nut on the motor - the nut would just spin the motor shaft - and I have no idea how to tighten it. Do you think the wrong size nut was included? Thanks!
It does have pegs they are cylinder shaped with a raised edge, they look 'L' shaped from a side profile.
The instructions are not overally helpful. One thing to watch out for are the positive and negative plug that is stuck into the side of the box. MAKE SURE YOU SEPERATE THE PLASTIC... It is easy to have a metal to metal contact and short out the entire box/battery and fry the motor. You will understand(the instructions make no mention of this necessity.

I wish i could explain it better but my box is not in front of me.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:31 PM
crusher03

yes you have to be careful putting the ofna box together. the instructions are really sad. I just put my crome top together last night and it has no problem turning over my new ws7. recomend this box to anyone looking for a strong box. only complaint is the weight, this things heavy
Old 03-18-2005, 02:50 PM
nitronovice

yeah it's heavy, my neighbor has it for his h7. but in my oppinion, i would much rather get the sttarter box as one heavy thing then to keep burning up one ways with my roto-start.i already went through one and my second one is starting to go ine the slightly could temps out here. one of those bearings are around $20, eventually, it'll cost more then the box. i'll get it the next time i go to the hobby show. they sell it for $50, and i already got the gell cell from a box i got last time i went to the hobby show, the box ismade for 1/10 scale, so there goes the buggy, and it won't fit my rs4 s
Old 03-18-2005, 03:06 PM
Giles300-72

check out the sportwerks starter box!! Its pretty sweet, can except both sticks and 12V batteries!! And it is really light weight and powerd by twin 550 motors with a gear reduction! And it is pretty cheap and will work with both 1/10 and 1/8th scale. It claims to be able to start any engine up to .26!

[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/shop/bycategory/product/default.aspx?prodid=swk9902]Sportwerks Starter Box[/link]
Old 03-18-2005, 04:04 PM
crusher03

with the ofna box you dont have to worry about claiming to start this eninge, it will start them all.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:26 PM
MaxxGS
My Feedback: (3)

Just got a Sportwerks starter box. I like the size of the box and it was easy to adapt to my GS Storm SUT. I'm running the gel cell battery which fits good. I'm having a problem were the starter wheel apears to be to soft and is wearing out fast. The box doesn't seem to have enough power to start my engine quickly or maybe its a combination of the soft wheel. I had to go back to my old box for now while I wait for a new starter wheel. Anyone else try this box yet?
Old 04-10-2005, 04:32 PM
jbuck

Just bought a Sportwerks Cyclone and tried using it with a Jammin' X1 and Drake2 ST seems to work fine. However it is my first StarterBox but the reason I bought it was because it came so highly recomended. I am also using the Gel 12 volt battery.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:36 PM
Xtreme R/C

The best and ONLY box we use is the Mugen Box,,iNsAnE
Old 04-11-2005, 04:42 AM
Engrose

ORIGINAL: Xtreme R/C

The best and ONLY box we use is the Mugen Box,,iNsAnE
If it's the only one you use - then of course it's the best

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.