Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

buggy on a budget?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 04:30 PM
Johnny Ripper
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buggy on a budget?

What would be the best rtr buggy i can get for 400 to 500 bucks? I want a buggy that i can beat the hell of and be very reliable. I have a jammin x1cr but cant bring my self to bash that thing after spending over 1200 on it.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:35 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

Default RE: buggy on a budget?

the lightning 2 rr buggy by hotbodies is supposed to be very tough
Old 04-17-2005, 05:25 PM
Engrose

Hyper7 pbs
Old 04-17-2005, 05:59 PM
Johnny Ripper

Engrose

Hyper7 pbs

The pbs sounds like a good buggy. But what is the main difference between the pcr and pbs?

rustler08

the lightning 2 rr buggy by hotbodies is supposed to be very tough

I haven't heard much about the lightning 2, maybe you could tell me a little bit about it. Where can i get a lightning on-line at a good price?

I was just looking a this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...969843717&rd=1. Do you think it would be a good deal?
Old 04-17-2005, 07:30 PM
dryvr

I agree with engrose on the hyper7 pbs. It's "one" of the best rtr's on the market. The main difference between the pcr and pbs is the laydown servo configuration on the pcr. Also the pcr version has a paint scheme similar to the pbs except its black, flourescent green, and white. Looks pretty trick. Other than that, they're about the same. The laydown servos are supposed to lower cg, but I'm not sure if it makes that much of a difference. I've also heard of complaints about removing the laydown servos on the pcr version. You can't go wrong with a hyper7pbs and there are loads of hop-ups for it. Check out www.nitrohouse.com They have the hyper7 pbs for very little over $400. You get a starterbox, fuel bottle and glow ignitor with the kit I believe. The pivot ball suspension (pbs) is very tough and very adjustable.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:45 PM
Johnny Ripper

Can you get a 2 speed for pbs? The starter box is sounding good to me, unlike engines that are equipped with one way bearings.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:39 PM
performula

Mayhem RTR: read about the wonderful review on RCU.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:03 PM
dryvr

Yes you can get a two speed for it if you want. The stater box will start the buggy, but I don't recommend you break in your engine with it. From what I've heard, it's not strong enough to turn over a brand new engine.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:47 AM
Engrose

As long as you heat the engine before starting it the first time, and unscrew the glowplug a little, the starterbox should be able to start the engine.
Laydown steering servo are a pain in the ...

A mayhem is apparently a great buggy and the radio is much better than what comes with other rtr-sets.
But you should be very careful when buying used on ebay. There is often a very good reason why an "almost like new item" is sold!
Old 04-18-2005, 10:16 PM
Johnny Ripper

Ok, I'm down to my final decision and cant make my mind up. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif] Its between the hyper7 pcr or a jammin x1cr rtr. Please help me make a final decision please. Give all pro and cons on these buggys.

Thanks
Old 04-19-2005, 08:24 AM
dryvr

My opinion would be biased, as I own an X1CR pro kit.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:08 AM
Engrose

ORIGINAL: .50 Caliber

Ok, I'm down to my final decision and cant make my mind up. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif] Its between the hyper7 pcr or a jammin x1cr rtr. Please help me make a final decision please. Give all pro and cons on these buggys.

Thanks
The Jammin comes with a Force .26 with a shaft start and the Hyper7 with a Hyper .21 engine and a starter box. The Hyper engine should be better than the force and if it matters then it's a .21 (race-legal)

It's a lot easier to start the engine with a starterbox, but you have to carry it with you.

The Jammin is a very new design, where the Hyper is rather old but still very good.

No matter which one you choose you should change the steering servo to something better and later get a better radio.

Since you already have a Jammin, it could be an advantage regarding spares to take that one. But there is also some fun in having two different buggies....
Old 04-20-2005, 12:03 PM
Johnny Ripper

Dose anyone know if you can get a 2-speed for the ofna jammin buggies?
Old 04-20-2005, 12:32 PM
powder_king

get the xray xb8r its out late thismonth and is under 500
Old 04-20-2005, 12:50 PM
CHAD_BUGGY

For that price u need to stay away from all the options you see listed here except 1.....the Sportwerks MAYHEM rtr. Out of the box it has a FM radio, .26 engine and well....just check out the thread on here titled ultimate mayhem thread....horizon hobby has them listed and u can check out a review here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=423
Have fun and good luck with whatever you get
Old 04-20-2005, 01:18 PM
RC RAC3R

SPORTWERKS MAYHEM.. I have raced and bashed this buggy, and have yet to brake/bend a part.. it is extremely durable... It costs a little over $500, but its well equipped, great radio, servo's.. everything.. read the review...
Old 04-20-2005, 01:20 PM
RC RAC3R

i think he wants a RTR buggy...[&:]
ORIGINAL: powder_king

get the xray xb8r its out late thismonth and is under 500
Old 04-20-2005, 01:53 PM
Johnny Ripper

RC RAC3R

i think he wants a RTR buggy...

I just need a rtr, I'm leaning toward the jammin rtr and that is really pushing my budget to the limit. I would really like to get the mayhem, but can't afford one at the moment. If I get the jammin rtr I plan on using my radio, reciver, and servos off my lst. Belive me when I say I'm going to bash this buggy I mean that it will be ran wide open 90% of the time over anything at any angle. LOL
Old 04-20-2005, 02:23 PM
CHAD_BUGGY

ORIGINAL: .50 Caliber

I just need a rtr, I'm leaning toward the jammin rtr and that is really pushing my budget to the limit. I would really like to get the mayhem, but can't afford one at the moment. If I get the jammin rtr I plan on using my radio, reciver, and servos off my lst. Belive me when I say I'm going to bash this buggy I mean that it will be ran wide open 90% of the time over anything at any angle. LOL

I think we have diferent ideas of RTR...RTR= ready to race= with radio and everything to start it. If what you say is true, the mayhem with all teh extras from what i have seen runs about the same cost as a xcr1....but if u still dont want all teh extras then u could always go with the model without the etras...pro sumthing or whatever it is called...again from horizonhobby and runs sumthing like $419. I cant tell u how good an idea the MAYHEM is if you plan to abuse your buggy like you say. I have not broke mine but thats not to say that i have torn mine to peices or anything but i hear the xcr1 is brittle. Do what you can to get yourself a MAYHEM, trust me
Chad
Old 04-20-2005, 02:35 PM
Giles300-72
My Feedback: (2)

Deff get the mayhem. It is the best rtr on the market. You get a screaming engine that is stronger than any of the other rtrs, you get higher end components, and an fm computer radio with a high torque servo!!! It also comes with a great set of tires!! This thing is super strong. The roto start has plenty of power to turn over any engine new or used and is alot more convient than a starter box! The mayhem comes with things that are upgrades for most other buggies. And not to mention the out of box handling! Also you know its good when it is comprised of Losi parts!! Thats right this buggy has alot of Losi parts on it from the popular LST! You absolutely can't beat the mayhem for an rtr! Read the official Mayhem thread, there isn't one complaint about this buggy! This is the only true rtr that I think can be competitive out of the box against a mugen or 777.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:33 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a pretty strong statement 'best RTR on the market'.

The mayhem is a basher. How many mayhems do you see in the A finals at top class tracks? I don't want to get into an argument about it, I know you're biased cos you just bought one, but the X1 and Hyper are PROVEN quality racing platforms.

Yes, the mayhem is a good buggy, with an excellent radio (which is absolutely reflected in the price of the RTR) and a powerful (but illegal except in the amateur class) engine. As for the strength, well, lets face it, all 1/8th buggies are pretty strong.

As for 'competitive out of the box against Mugens and 777s', that's really pushing it. They have consistently proven to be the best for a long time. I don't think Kyosho, Mugen, or even OFNA for that matter, will be exactly quaking in their boots over the mayhem RTR! The TTR S3 and Xray XB8 may well be a cause for concern amongst the champions, but not the mayhem, and especially not the RTR.

Try not to sound like an advert for the buggy you chose. Although perhaps you should have written the stuff on the box for them.

Before you flame me for calling it a basher, bear in mind that I do have an appreciation for it, I just think you are going a bit over the top. If anyone else agrees or disagrees, convince me or condone me...
Old 04-20-2005, 03:56 PM
Giles300-72
My Feedback: (2)

First of all what is different on an rtr than on a pro that makes them so much faster? NOTHING! The only real diff is in strengths. My statement about the best rtr came straight from Caraction magazine. And for the number of mayhems in a mains, there is atleast one in all the big races that I have read about. And what is the point in having a legal engine if it doesn't have the power to be competitive? And for the most part the .26 is alowed at almost every race track that any of us would be racing at! As far as far as saying it is as competitive as a mugen, there is a guy at my track that races a mugen and there are several for that matter that race top of the line buggies. I have beaten them and they have me. I let one of them drive my buggy and they said it was handled better than theirs did out of the box. True you might be able to fine tune a mugen a little better, but that has nothing to do with my statement. I said out of the box. Plus my local track is indoor and it has a hobby shop. They sell every make and model of buggy. They have atleast one of each that you can test drive. I drove every one before i bought the mayhem, true a 777 and a mugen can turn around the diameter of a 55 gallon drum if not sharper but how often do you need that? In most casses that is too much steering and people end up turning that down. Out of all the buggies I drove the mayhem felt the most stable, and I guess im not the only one cause on a given weekend at that track I would say 9 or 10 of 20 buggies are mayhems and about 8 times out of 10 a mayhem wins or takes 2nd place. Keep in mind that this is mostly just weekend races and not even the best in the area. At some of the bigger tracks that pros do come to in my area Mayhems are growing quickly in popularity! When I first go mine I was about the only one to be at the big races with one, but last weekend out of 40 buggies there were 10 mayhems. That says alot, and about all of them were rtr's. I would say that is doing good no longer than the Mayhems have been out!

About the statement of seeing atleast one mayhem in the a main I was wrong, Mike Lopez which is sponsored by fullthrottlehobbies.com drives a mayhem and finished in the b-main cause some lap traffic hacked him and he broke.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:32 PM
Johnny Ripper

Well let me start of by saying that i bought the jammin X1 rtr. I am very very impressed with this buggy. This thing dose not even compare to my lst mt. The only complaint I have is the engine it lacks top end pull for me. I have about 1/2 gallon through the engine and it is just not cutting it for my track. So I already have the engine taken out of the buggy for a spare.

I am going to be buying a new engine, starter box, and pipe tomorrow and would really appreciate some input on some engines for my buggy. I have been thinking of taking the engine off my lst, but would rather get a new non-pull engine with a starter box. My budget will be 300.00 for the engine, starter box, and pipe. I already know what starter box I want, but cant decide on the engine and pipe. I'm debating between a hyper 8-port and mach .26. Also cant decide between a jammin jp-1 or jp-2 pipe. I'm am leaning toward the jp-2 because i'm really going for top end pull.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:53 PM
Kysi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as for the jp's, there was a discussion about them somewhere or another. usually with top end, you want a longer pipe, but the jp1 is actually longer than the jp2, ewven though the jp1 is for bottom end. i would recommend the vzb vspec, but by the looks of it, its outta your budget since youre looking for a starter box as well
Old 04-26-2005, 12:50 AM
Johnny Ripper

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shorter pipe = top end and longer pipe = bottom end.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.