Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

ofna ultra mbx pro

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 02:36 PM
nitro125

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ofna ultra mbx pro

i was wondering if this would be a good buggy for the money i only have an evader st right noiw and i think its time to up grade any thoughts on this buggy pros cons if soo please reply http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAXV1&P=0 thats the tower hobbies link
Old 08-10-2005, 07:17 PM
Korn9898
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: ofna ultra mbx pro

i have the savage 25 rtr and i wanted a buggy so i ordered that exact one your asking about today it comes in friday so ill let you know how it is
Old 08-10-2005, 09:01 PM
mrmac339

I have one and so far so good the only problem I have had is the shocks where way to soft so new springs and 50weight oil solved that problem. The engine is hard to turn over with the electric start when the motor is new, so bring the motor off center by hand or you will smoke the starter engine once it is broke it starts very easily with the starter. I had the last version of this car the ultra mbx pro and love it still going strong almost six gallons and havent broken anything so I am hoping the new one is just as Good.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:00 PM
PATchy

i don't own one but i've heard good stuff about them though

there is another thread about the ultra mbx pro on the same page so look around in this forum first to see if someone else has the same question as you

patchy
Old 08-10-2005, 10:50 PM
fishboy

The pro is the old model and I believe is discontinued. The MBX Comp is the new model replacing it. the shock towers are thicker on the comp and there aer a few other minor changes. The Comp costs about $10 more I believe. Just an heads up.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:02 PM
Korn9898

ORIGINAL: mrmac339

I have one and so far so good the only problem I have had is the shocks where way to soft so new springs and 50weight oil solved that problem. The engine is hard to turn over with the electric start when the motor is new, so bring the motor off center by hand or you will smoke the starter engine once it is broke it starts very easily with the starter. I had the last version of this car the ultra mbx pro and love it still going strong almost six gallons and havent broken anything so I am hoping the new one is just as Good.
what do u mean exactly by "bring the motor off center by hand"????
Old 08-10-2005, 11:14 PM
that_guy_88

i have this car. REALLY fast buggy, even though the price would throw you off, you'd be surprised. Since you want to find out its flaws, ill mention the ones i've found: screws loosen easily, so buy Threadlock and use that on the screws before running. Get a 6 volt hump battery pack, and def change the steering servo unless your a total newb to r/c car handling. Servo's are "the standard junky" ones. Get a Motorsaver air filter. Thats pretty much it, the rest is just up to you i guess..but besides that this buggy is GREAT and, once again, its very FAST
Old 08-11-2005, 09:51 AM
Korn9898

what did he mean by ""bring the motor off center by hand"????" need to know cause my buggy mya come in today thanks guys...
Old 08-11-2005, 11:47 AM
Engrose

If the piston is placed just where the big resistance is when you will start it, you should manually turn it the opposite way until you can feel resistance again.
Similar when you have stopped the engine you should make sure that the piston is at the bottom of the engine, which is where the resistance is lowest.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Korn9898

im confused so turn the silver wheel to the left until its starts getting resistance? (one with arrow pointing on it)

Old 08-11-2005, 04:27 PM
Engrose

Yes you turn the flywheel (the silver one) to the left until you feel resistance. Then it's ready to start. Remember not to turn the engine if it isn't lubricated. A few drops of after run oil will do that.

Is that a picture you have taken of your own car and if it is, then where did you order it from?

Does it only have the pullstart, or does it have a rotostart or an electric starter?

Old 08-11-2005, 04:33 PM
Korn9898

that picture was taken from ofna's site but it is the buggy that ill be getting in tomorrow ([link=http://www.ofna.com/UmbxPRO.html]THE BUGGY[/link]) cept mine has this powerstart thing looks kinda cheap if u ask me

[link=http://www.ofna.com/start-power.html]POWERSTART[/link]

i ordered it from tower

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAXV1&P=ML]tower[/link]
Old 08-11-2005, 04:40 PM
Engrose

Then it's not really the MBX Pro you'll get, but the MBX Comp.

http://www.ofna.com/ultrambxcomp.html

It just seems like Tower is a little confused about what it's called.

But the MBX Comp is improved in comparison with the MBX Pro.

I don't know how well the starterthing works, but you can (and should) always get a starterbox. It's so much easier and nicer to start your engine that way.

Before you drive your buggy, you should make sure that the screws are proper tightened and use threadlock where necessary. On the LX Comp I have it wasn't done proper and I didn't notice from the start[:@]

A 6V humppack and a better steeringservo are essential upgrades as well. But apart from that, it should be good.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:44 PM
Korn9898

you sure ill get the comp? howd u figure that out anyways lol i hope your right but heres a listing that tower has for a comp buggy so maybe i wont get the comp?

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGUS1&P=ML]COMP[/link]

also in the features for the one i ordered it says 125cc tank when the comp has 145 tank ill prob get the pro oh well
Old 08-11-2005, 04:50 PM
Engrose

I am not sure, but I don't think that Tower would fit the old Pro with the electric starting system.

Ofna has for some strange reason given the MBX Pro and the MBX Comp the same partsnumber, and I guess that that is the reason for Tower's confusion. It seems strange that Tower doesn't list the MBX Comp though.

But we will get the answer when you receive your buggy.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:53 PM
Korn9898

cool i really hope it is the comp guess ill see tomorrow thanks man
Old 08-11-2005, 05:03 PM
nitro125

im no newb ive had an evader and severel rc planes whitch are very similer as far as engines and tuning exept the planes fly and the cars dont but the mbx sounds like a good buggy for the monney compared to the kyosho mp and stuff
Old 08-11-2005, 05:12 PM
Korn9898

yea i heard ofna is pretty good one question though on ofna's site they list all the replacement parts and stuff but they dont sell them where can i fine them? i checked tower and they have hardly any also checked hobbypeople and they dont have crap either
Old 08-11-2005, 05:29 PM
Engrose

www.nitrohouse.com

That is OFNA's unofficial sales division.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:30 PM
Korn9898

cool , thanks i didnt know about them
Old 08-12-2005, 01:33 PM
gcurtis2121
My Feedback: (3)

So, did you get the buggy today? I'm very anxious to hear about it. Put up some pics for us, too! I've got a Jato right now that I'm thinking I might sell for a 1/8th and the Ultra MBX Comp is one I was thinking about getting. Either that or a Hyper 7, can't decide. I'm interested in the electric starter, too. The Jato has one and it works well, so I want to know how this one compares.

Anyway, congrats on your purchase and let me know how it goes!
Old 08-12-2005, 02:31 PM
Razoo

I've had my MBX Comp for a few months now and love it. I use it just for bashing and it takes alot of abuse. The only problem I had was, I stripped the rear diff gears- I put new ones in and its run fine ever since. My electric starter works great, I've never had a problem with it, even during break-in. I use a GP3300 battery pack from cheapbatterypacks.com. I upgraded the steering servo and put a Nova cooling head on it and recommend doing both. Break it in like they tell you to and you'll be fine. Put a few drops of after run oil in the cylinder before breaking it in and your piston won't stick. After every tank during break in remove the plug and make sure the piston is at bottom dead center while its cooling down. If its not just use the electric starter until it is. Have fun!!