Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

starter box vs. roto start

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 02:52 PM
markp10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter box vs. roto start

hey, i just bought an SH pt2004xb engine and it didn't come with a pull start.

im kinda on a budget right now and i still what to have some spare cash in the end and i was wondering if ofna's roto start thing would be ok, they do have one made for sh motors..i don't really want to lug around the weight of a starter box but if a starter box is the way to go then i'll get one

i just want to know what you think. starter box or roto

mark
Old 08-10-2005, 03:45 PM
PillowPants

Default RE: starter box vs. roto start

Roto start. I have had used EZ start, pull start, starter boxes, but nothing has been more reliable than roto start.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:12 PM
ruffian

You can't get any more reliable than a starter box. You do have to keep the battery charged, that's about it. Rotostarts and pullstarts you have to deal with one-way bearings going bad. IMO get a starter box. Once setup for your car it's a piece of cake.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:20 PM
Da Smak
Banned

Not only do the one ways clog up or break, but by their design any mill with a shaft through the rear will have air leak problems. Starter boxes only have the inconvenience of being slightly bulky to carry round.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:37 PM
PATchy

yeah starter box is the way to go mark,

ofna has a whole bunch of good boxes to choose from
Old 08-10-2005, 04:44 PM
PillowPants

starter boxes sucked for me because i have to walk about 3/4ths of a mile to get to my bashing site (while carrying my truck and all my essentials) and it made the walk suck even more. I didnt like having to carry that big box around everywhere i bashed.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:04 PM
EB4man

the 12V Ofna box is what I use..It takes a little set-up time but yeah once its set-up...its nice. Plus the bump start engines put out slightly more. My 10GT has a pullstart and thats what I mainly use for local bashing... Truck,Radio,Fuel, and a pocket load of the essentials and I'm out in the fields. Its nice to have multiple machines for different things.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:08 PM
Engrose

ORIGINAL: TheHamburglar

Roto start. I have had used EZ start, pull start, starter boxes, but nothing has been more reliable than roto start.
But you have not had a buggy yet. And you have probably not had a real good engine either.

It would be a real shame to spoil a good engine like the SH by putting a rotostart on it.

Starterbox is the way to go.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:14 PM
RCtruckRacer

Adding a rotostart on should increase the drag somewhat, I don't know if you'd notice it or not... that being said I have to agree that the starter box is a bit better. No need to cut an extra hole in the body for the starter, or take the body off to start it. Not to mention the one-way bearing deal. Plus, a gell cell 12v will retain its charge MUCH longer than a roto starter battery.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:32 PM
everspeed

Starter box is more reliable, and the only choice in this situation. Cause the SH .21 doesn't have a crank pin for the one way bearing, required for a roto-start.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:31 PM
PillowPants

ORIGINAL: Engrose

But you have not had a buggy yet. And you have probably not had a real good engine either.

It would be a real shame to spoil a good engine like the SH by putting a rotostart on it.

No, i do not have a buggy yet, but a starter box is a starter box... no matter what R/C type you are using it for. Never had a good engine? HA, my t-maxx has a sirio .23 in it and my losi XXX-NT2 has an O.S. .15 CV-R in it. If you like lugging around a bulky starter box , then go right ahead, but I DONT.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:46 PM
Hellmutt

ORIGINAL: Engrose

No, i do not have a buggy yet, but a starter box is a starter box... no matter what R/C type you are using it for. Never had a good engine? HA, my t-maxx has a sirio .23 in it and my losi XXX-NT2 has an O.S. .15 CV-R in it. If you like lugging around a bulky starter box , then go right ahead, but I DONT.
Dude a rotostart burns out its motor if you try to use it to break in a new .21 engine, thats how crappy they are. I saw 3 rotostarts at the track last year and they all burned those suckers out and had starterboxes (or just didnt show up anymore because they couldnt start their car anymore and gave up on the thing because they were unlucky enough to get a crappy rotostart with their engine, or rtr). Its just a bad idea... get a decent starter box, 75 bucks, it will last you forever. I charge mine like once a year.

Also...markp, I just bought a sh2004xb and beleive me, you dont want to spoil it with a roto-mabob hanging off the back of your poor burdened motor. Youll be glad you didnt because this engine will leave you with big grins when youve got it all broken in and tuned right
Old 08-10-2005, 07:53 PM
PillowPants

i just dont like carrying them around. I dont race, i bash, so starting on the go is what i'm all about. He asked what we think is better and i gave him my opinion. can we just let it go now?!
Old 08-10-2005, 08:04 PM
Hellmutt

If you need to walk 3/4 of a mile to play with your rc's than maybe....maybe a rotostart is for you , but I would sweat it out with my starterbox in a backpack even then.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:09 PM
Xplocivic

Umm, I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but a starter box is the best way to go. Just kidding, but seriously, if you want to unleash the full potential of that engine, you need to go with a box.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:18 PM
PillowPants

ORIGINAL: Hellmutt

If you need to walk 3/4 of a mile to play with your rc's than maybe....maybe a rotostart is for you , but I would sweat it out with my starterbox in a backpack even then.
a backpack in 112 degree weather? No thank you... i have to walk really far because there are security guards throughout my community that live for busting kids, so i have to walk pretty far to lose them.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:47 AM
MrSavage

i've used everything and starter box is most definately the best and most reliable...i actually bought an xtm one with a glow igniter, battery and everything you need for fairly cheap and its a great starter box. you can't go wrong with any of the ofnas boxes though.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:56 AM
RCtruckRacer

i have to walk really far because there are security guards throughout my community that live for busting kids, so i have to walk pretty far to lose them.
Dude... do you live in Sun City?? JK
I'd get a dolly for my stuff if I still lived in the PHX area. A backpack would suck rocks. I got a dolly from Costco that has inflatable wheels that I use to haul a cooler and fishing gear around trails here in OR. Works great until I have to pull it up a cliff!
Old 08-11-2005, 12:12 PM
PillowPants

ORIGINAL: lstRacerX

i have to walk really far because there are security guards throughout my community that live for busting kids, so i have to walk pretty far to lose them.
Dude... do you live in Sun City?? JK
I'd get a dolly for my stuff if I still lived in the PHX area. A backpack would suck rocks. I got a dolly from Costco that has inflatable wheels that I use to haul a cooler and fishing gear around trails here in OR. Works great until I have to pull it up a cliff!
haha, no. Northern scottsdale. We stuck my grandpa up there in sun city.