Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Problem with Hitec 645mg steering servo

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Problem with Hitec 645mg steering servo

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 04:56 PM
rcsrock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with Hitec 645mg steering servo

Hi, I just installed a new steering servo on my ofna lx comp and it was workin great. However, today when I tried driving it the wheels wouldn't turn at all! Could the batteries be bad? Thats the only problem I can think of, since they were turning working fine. Anyone can comment, Thanks!
Old 08-12-2005, 05:00 PM
Da Smak
Banned

Default RE: Problem with Hitec 645mg steering servo

Probably flat.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:13 PM
schmidty

check to make sure that the steering is not binding with anything, when I first got my comp there was a peice of plastic that stuck out and was binding with the turnbuckle or steering knuckle I dont remember wich so check both, All I did was dremel it off and it was good to go.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:12 PM
Ybenjulkay2x

That thing just happen to me too.........
And decide to purchase another set of ultra torque servo for my truck. One thing that I've notice
when I was checking it up, the servo ain't sealed like the other expensive servos. When I clean my truck,to late to remove the servo out, On the 1st to 5th cleaning, servo still ok but later on it just stop.
Now I'm thinking of sealing this new servo with blk silicone including the other cars that I have.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:51 PM
slicks

as stated make sure that there is nothing sticking out on the front end to prevent the wheels from turning -- if that is ok then check the batteries. Do you have a rechargeable receiver pack -- if not get one soon. Otherwise if you are using regular alkaline batt's - then you need to replace them with new batt's every time your run. AND - you also run the risk of the batt's going dead on you while you are running and that could be a very bad thing. Also - if you are using alkaline batt's don't use the cheap ones - they burn out much faster - use the EveryReady or Duracell --- but if you add the cost of changing batt's out you are much better getting a rechargeable pack and charger.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:49 PM
PantherDesigns

I have two Hitec 645 MGs sitting here ready to send back to Hitec. One I had in for one heat race and the other one lasted two club races. There have been several other guys at our LHS have them go bad too. I think that they might have sent out a bad batch? If that is possible?

-Seann
Old 08-13-2005, 12:51 AM
Super_Dave

Hi-tech exactly have the most reliable servos out there. The most reliable that I have found are the futaba servos. I've mainly been through a few JR servos but never had 1 futaba go bad on me for any reason.

Best way to check if the problem is in any part of the steering linkage is to take the servo horn off the the linkage will all work freely. You should be able to move the wheels back and forth smoothly without any or atleast much resiatance. If it is hard to move the wheels back and forth first look over ALL of the steering components and check for binding or an over tightened screw and if your still having trouble then lubricate all of the parts in the steering. I would sujest using a dry lubricant because any type of wet lubricant will let dirt stick to it and just wear things out faster and just leave you with more of a mess to clean. I use a teflon dry lubricant thats made by Dupont that goes on wet and dries to leave behind the lubricants and a slick teflon film. While you have the servo horn off check if the steering servo even moves on its own and if it doesn't well then thats your problem.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:26 AM
Ybenjulkay2x

I don't have binding in my components, most what I did is I test the servo with out the servo horn installed, and the servo didn't do any movement where you attach the servo horn, what this mean, servo is dead, need to send back but just decide to get a new one.
I open the bad one also and check for continuity at the motor terminal, no volage at all, seems like that the computer board went dead. The servo that it went out on me are:
1. HS-625MG SUPER TORQUE
2. HS-525MG HIGH SPEED
3. HS-645MG ULTRA TORQUE
All of this went out on me and it stay only for a month or two.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:52 AM
Da Smak
Banned

Yep either that servo is dead or the receiver has a problem. Try that servo from a known working output from that RX or just use another GOOD RX. this will show quickly if the Hi Tec (ewe) is still working.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:13 AM
Bigchris090

hi i had a hitec hs-5645mg servo and mine has stopped working as well, but when you plug it in it is impossible too turn the servo by hand, unplug it and its easy but the transmitter stick has no affect at all
Old 08-13-2005, 02:25 AM
Da Smak
Banned

ORIGINAL: hyper7madness

hi i had a hitec hs-5645mg servo and mine has stopped working as well, but when you plug it in it is impossible too turn the servo by hand, unplug it and its easy but the transmitter stick has no affect at all
Failsafe ???
Old 08-13-2005, 02:35 AM
Bigchris090

no i use the failsafe for the throttle and i have tried with and without it. i am going to my lhs today and will see if reprogramming it works.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:38 PM
Ybenjulkay2x

I try those 3 servo on a three receiver, from am to fm, from 8th scale on road to off-road, and none of them make this thing to work[:@], so decide to replace itand those thing coz me $120 + tax.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:35 PM
slicks

I know that I'll never buy another hitech servo for all the reasons listed above. However - the original statement said that it was a new servo --- I hope that it was brand new and not just new to him.

If you search on hitech servo's in this forum/site you'll find several folks that have had problems with that servo.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:54 PM
rcsrock

Thanks. The thing is that it works fine when i turn it when the wheels are off the ground and when i try to turn it when it is running and the wheels are on the ground it dosen't turn well.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:06 PM
slicks

make sure your batt's are fully charged (or new) - also make sure your end point adj's are at atleast 100%
Old 08-14-2005, 07:34 PM
rcsrock

what do you mean by end point adj's? i am new to this hobby. thanks.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:10 PM
slicks

What kind of radio do you have?

Old 08-15-2005, 01:48 PM
rcsrock

the one that came with the Ofna Ultra Lx Comp. The Ofna am 2 channel transmitter.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:52 PM
slicks

OK - well then you don't have to worry about the end point adj's because I don't think that that radio has that feature.

You never said what kind of batt's you are using (if you did I missed it - sorry). Also what are the spec's of that servo - I know I had one of those but I forget the spec's. Sounds to me like a battery problem.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:21 PM
Ybenjulkay2x

ORIGINAL: slicks

I know that I'll never buy another hitech servo for all the reasons listed above. However - the original statement said that it was a new servo --- I hope that it was brand new and not just new to him.

If you search on hitech servo's in this forum/site you'll find several folks that have had problems with that servo.
All those servo I mention are brand new and purchase at my lhs.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:48 PM
rcsrock

I use just regular aa batt's like Duracell and Alkaline. I don't have a rechargeable pack yet. the servo is a ultra torque one with speeds of 0.24sec/60 degrees at 4.8 volts with output torque of 107oz per in at 4.8 volts.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:10 AM
slicks

the most I ever got out of a hitech steering servo was 6 months -- that is why I don't use them anymore. Someone on this site said it best - that with hitech servo's you almost need 3 of them one in the buggy, one as a back up and one in the mail..... I have switched to Futaba.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:20 AM
slicks

OK - well that is where your problem is. Regular alkaline batt's work ok for a very short period of time (and I mean very short) - the servo you have has a lot of torq and really needs more batt power and batt's that will not drain fast. Go with a rechargeable batt pack and get a wall mount charger for it if you don't have one already - you will notice a big difference in power and time. Just make sure that the batt pack will fit into your receiver box as they come in various set-ups and therefore size (overall).

You are really running the risk of the regular alkaline batt's going dead on you while in use and then you could have a run-away vehicle on your hands! Not only is this dangerous - but can be very expensive too!

I would recommend that you get the rechargeable pack immediatley (this is something we tell all the 1st time drivers at our track) you can get them at your local hobby shop, tower hobbies or Nitro House.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:06 PM
Ybenjulkay2x

ORIGINAL: slicks

OK - well that is where your problem is. Regular alkaline batt's work ok for a very short period of time (and I mean very short) - the servo you have has a lot of torq and really needs more batt power and batt's that will not drain fast. Go with a rechargeable batt pack and get a wall mount charger for it if you don't have one already - you will notice a big difference in power and time. Just make sure that the batt pack will fit into your receiver box as they come in various set-ups and therefore size (overall).

You are really running the risk of the regular alkaline batt's going dead on you while in use and then you could have a run-away vehicle on your hands! Not only is this dangerous - but can be very expensive too!

I would recommend that you get the rechargeable pack immediatley (this is something we tell all the 1st time drivers at our track) you can get them at your local hobby shop, tower hobbies or Nitro House.
Me, I don't use regular alkaline batt, as it was way expensive buying it every other day when I run my truck or the buggy, and the on-road, specialy it won't fit on 8th/10th scale on road()MRX-3, MTX-3) unless install it at the radio tray. So I don't think it's my batteries
as I refresh the batt. first then charge it everytime I run the onroad or offroad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.