Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

help on buggy decision

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 05:32 PM
motohead279

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help on buggy decision

Hey guys, I'm planning on buying a buggy soon. When I was younger I was really into electric R/C cars, but I wan't to go gas this time. I know really nothing about the different brands and cars available in this genre. I want a 4wd RTR offroad, and I'm looking in the $500 price range, give or take. I have been doing some research but still unfamiliar with whats out there that are quality kits. What are some cars in that price range to look at? Will be driving around the house, also when I'm at the motocross track probably. Not looking to race it.

Thaks in advance.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:13 PM
Engrose

Default RE: help on buggy decision

kit or rtr?

If you don't want to race it, then maybe a stadium truck will suit you better.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:53 PM
EB4man

[quote]ORIGINAL: Engrose

kit or rtr?

[:-] he clearly stated RTR in his post... Ofna prolly makes the best RTR's
Old 08-12-2005, 08:00 PM
Ybenjulkay2x

Kit or RTR?
Me I decide to get the kit as I want to use diff. engine and radio specially I want FM.
I'm running now Hyper TQ Sport kit($239), with mach .26($120) and M8 with Hitech receiver($35) and HS-652MG servo($39)for steering & std hitech servo for gas/brake($8).
Old 08-12-2005, 08:04 PM
motohead279

well, since building them is half of the fun, I would like to be able to put it together myself... BUT, if I'm looking at spending $500 then I imagine RTR would be the way to go. right or wrong?!

And I am not into trucks, definately want it to be a buggy.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:14 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Moto, the Hyper 7 TQ Sport is about $220 (iirc) for the kit, and there are tons of sport big blocks you can get for under $150.

that leaves plenty to get a nice radio.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:15 PM
brokeneck

If your not going to be doing any racing I suggest the following...

~ http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...ProdID=SWK1200 (maybe out of your price range but its a awsome rtr)
~ http://www.ofna.com/teamjammin/kits-x1rtr.html
~ http://www.ofna.com/hyperPBS.html
~ http://www.ofna.com/h7rtr.html
~ http://www.ofna.com/ultrambxcomp.html
~ http://www.globalhobby.com/public/xt...ery/145602.asp
Old 08-12-2005, 08:18 PM
Ybenjulkay2x

Hyper is a buggy made by ofna. For me, Kit is good coz you will know what's in your car in and out of it coz you build it, just in case a part broke, you will know what to do just like doing upgrade, for example, your shock oil fluid, or having different set-up of differential gear oil like
10,000 wt. rear, 50000wt center, 25000wt. front.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:19 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: Ybenjulkay2x

Hyper is a buggy made by ofna. For me, Kit is good coz you will know what's in your car in and out of it coz you build it, just in case a part broke, you will know what to do.
made by HoBao labeled by Ofna in the USA.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:51 PM
RCtruckRacer

JMO. but if you are strictly going to be bashing, an MT might be more suitable. If you plan on racing, I'd say save up a bit more cash and get something like the MBX-5 or 777 sp2 or something similar. I was about to get an RTR buggy myself, but was talked out of it by a club racer. Sure glad he did! The kits are fun to build, and most importantly, you wont need to upgrade your radio, servo(s) or engine cause you get what you want in the first place!
Old 08-12-2005, 09:40 PM
motohead279

ok, I am about to fall out of my chair trying to figure out the difference between Ofna's 475 different cars they offer!!!! kits I'm looking at are the [link=http://www.ofna.com/95-violator.html]9.5 Violator RTR [/link]
[link=http://www.ofna.com/95mbx.html] 9.5 MBX RTR[/link]
[link=http://www.ofna.com/ultrambxcomp.html]Ultra MBX comp[/link]
[link=http://www.ofna.com/UmbxPRO.html] or Pro?, [/link]
or even the [link=http://www.ofna.com/teamjammin/kits-x1rtr.html]Jammin X1 RTR[/link].

Why so many different cars in the same general price range? Besides engine size, whats the main differences between all of these. Price is not really important factor to me, as this is cheap compared to my motocross bills. Just want to know what I am getting before I buy.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:01 AM
vsnitro

If you are going to get an ofna there is really only one to consider, the jammin. But you should be able to get a regular mbx5 kit or the xb8r, or the non special kyosho 777. If you buy a rtr and stay in this hobby, within 6 months you would have spent more money than if you would have done it right and bought a kit. Trust me buy a kit and build it, it will mean alot more to you.
i personally recommend the xray.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:10 AM
Ybenjulkay2x

KIT, right choice[sm=biggrin.gif][sm=sunsmiley.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]Trust me buy a kit and build it, it will mean alot more to you.
i personally recommend the xray.
[/quote]
Old 08-13-2005, 01:15 AM
Super_Dave

ORIGINAL: motohead279
if I'm looking at spending $500 then I imagine RTR would be the way to go. right or wrong?!
Actually your better off spending $500 on a kit. With a kit you built it yourself so its only as good as you build it. Anthing thats rtr is of corse assemebled accuratly but as quickly as they can too. With a kit most don't don't have a motor or electronics. Aside from the mayhem most rtrs come with crap electronics and a motor that is atleast decent but your better off not having to deal with. I would sujest the Ofna Jammin because its light (unlike the ofna hyper buggies that usually weigh around 8 1/2 pounds [:@]) and has quick responcive steering. They do make a kit of the jammin but I'm not sure the name or anything about it because I never really got to much into ofna I just made the best of my hyper 7 and got rid of it for a kyosho when I got the chance. Put either a Sportwerks .26 Mach .26 both for about $150 or the O.S. .21 RG screams for $110. I run the JR XS3 but seeing as your not really racing and don't need to worry about channels much a JR XR2 is pleanty and gives you all of the adjustments you'll ever need. I have had some bad luck with JR servos mainly the steering servo will lose torque after being used so much so I went to Futaba and never had another servo failure. I run the futaba 3010 (about $25 I think... I had mine for a while so I forgot the price of it) for throttle and brake and the 3305 metal gear high torque for steering (which I'm pretty sure is around $35)

The difference between every buggy is the design and the quality of the parts they used to make it which makes them vary in price in the hobby more money gives you more performence (as long as you can drive it). I know what you mean with the motorcross bills the price gets high pretty quick buying new tires every month or so then of corse chain, chain guides, and sprockets for my CR250, cam2 fuel, belray synthetic 2 cycle oil, air filter cleaner/oil, chain lube, and the list just keeps going from there.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:35 AM
Da Smak
Banned

Well old bean, IF you change your mind and go for the RTR again, then the Hyper 7 TQ RTR or the Hyper 7 PBS are the best choices for VFM.

Any RTR is best approched from the "they didn't build it right" point of view and in fact with the Hypers it is best to completely strip them down and lube everything up yourself as you rebuild it. SO you still get the fun and experience of building it up, BUT you dont need to hunt through parts bags for that essential bit that's missing.

Even at this point if you wanted an FM radio for it, it's still cheaper/easier this way to fit in the new stuff than get a top end kit and then fork out for the engine, pipe, radio or tyres (most pro kits dont come with them eother). So for the TQ you could get all you need get all you need to run for under $500.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:27 AM
Engrose

[quote]ORIGINAL: EB4man

ORIGINAL: Engrose

kit or rtr?

[:-] he clearly stated RTR in his post... Ofna prolly makes the best RTR's
Obviously you didn't read his post, since he talks about "quality kits"

Old 08-13-2005, 09:47 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: Uberchav Alex

Well old bean, IF you change your mind and go for the RTR again, then the Hyper 7 TQ RTR
here in the states the TQ is a kit.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:36 PM
motohead279

well, not sure what I am going to do. The Jammin looks sweet, but between the car and the radio (which i have actually already) and the engine, I'm gonna be spending a little more than i want to considering that I'm just going to be playing with it, not racing.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:28 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

radio and engine both suck in the Jammin RTR buggy.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:32 PM
Ybenjulkay2x

Yeah, I beleive you that the Jammin are too expensive and haven't heared about a kit yet. If you pick kit type you can also pick the engine you want, By the way, I got my Mach .26 for only $120 brand new at my lhs, same as the Sportwerks .26 in Hobbytown
for only $139 w/ pullstart for my monster truck. Planning to get another .26 for my daughters savage. Anyway the hyper you can get it as kit or trt.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:49 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

strictly a basher buggy, i'd say the H7 TQ. cheap, and proven.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:29 PM
Desert Racer
My Feedback: (5)

I say xtm deluxe or the pro the are strong buggies and to me the only ofna buggy that is worth buying would be the jammin kit
Old 08-13-2005, 02:30 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

show me where you can buy an X-Terminator pro right now. I checked HP last night, didnt see anything but the standard RTR listed.

plus, the H7 kit is only $40 or so more than the X-T pro. small price to pay MHO.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:37 PM
Desert Racer
My Feedback: (5)

come to vegas and go to either HP and they have them and what does MHO mean I cnat remember brain fart
Old 08-13-2005, 03:01 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

my humble opinion.

and i'm a bit far to go to Vegas. why doncha ask 'em if XTM DC'd the x-t pro and deluxe? I've got a deluxe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.