Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Air Filter Came off During Race!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 09:54 PM
brokeneck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Filter Came off During Race!

During the first heat today, My airfilter fell off after about 2laps (I landed on my lid of a jump) ..the turn marshal fliped it back over and I took off..made it about 1 more lap and it died..It would crank back up but die soon after. After the race I took my lid off and noticed my airfilter was off!..dirt all over the opening of the carb, and the carb would stick open and I would have to hit the break for it to close..I cleaned out the dirt around it with a Q-tip and some WD-40.(the carb would open an close freely after that)..I cranked it back up and it still wont ideal properly like it used to! Im going to take the motor apart tomarrow and flush it out best I can..hope it isnt damanged.
Do you guys know any good methods to clean the motor out good? This will be the first time doing this..
Old 08-13-2005, 10:15 PM
Kemo

Default RE: Air Filter Came off During Race!

Sadly, being in a dirty condition such as that, i would advise you look into a new sleeve/piston kit. Check the crankshaft to see if that suffered any friction damage from dirt particles.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:23 PM
MassiveMods

Bummer man ! Well you may be looking at a new engine depending on what got sucked into it.. But lets hope that its just a little dirty inside..... Open it up and pull it completely apart. i mean everything out. carb , liner, piston, crank.( in that order) First thing you need to do is clean the sleeve and pisont. then get close and see if there is any scoring in the liner or on the outside of the piston.. i mean any little scratches more than say .10 of a mm if there is then you may need a new piston and liner.. Next you need to check the bearings Put your finger into the bearing and turn it,.. it should feel smmoth and with no play... if it feels gritty then you have a problem... NEXt ! ... clean them out with say WD40 or Scotch 700 ahesive and solvent cleaner... spray it into the top of the bearings... and let it oose out from the bottom... turn the bearing while doing this ... make sure you do it till its all clean... then oil them up and turn them again with you rfinger... they should feel smooth... if not they need replacing..

good luck !
Old 08-13-2005, 10:24 PM
brokeneck

ORIGINAL: rccars411

Sadly, being in a dirty condition such as that, i would advise you look into a new sleeve/piston kit. Check the crankshaft to see if that suffered any friction damage from dirt particles.
man I hoping Im not going to have order a sleeve/piston..This motor was running soooo good! Thanks for the advise I'll be sure to check the crankshaft..If it is damanged I'll just save up for awhile for a new engine(been eyeing the v-spec)
Old 08-13-2005, 10:26 PM
brokeneck

ORIGINAL: MassiveMods

Bummer man ! Well you may be looking at a new engine depending on what got sucked into it.. But lets hope that its just a little dirty inside..... Open it up and pull it completely apart. i mean everything out. carb , liner, piston, crank.( in that order) First thing you need to do is clean the sleeve and pisont. then get close and see if there is any scoring in the liner or on the outside of the piston.. i mean any little scratches more than say .10 of a mm if there is then you may need a new piston and liner.. Next you need to check the bearings Put your finger into the bearing and turn it,.. it should feel smmoth and with no play... if it feels gritty then you have a problem... NEXt ! ... clean them out with say WD40 or Scotch 700 ahesive and solvent cleaner... spray it into the top of the bearings... and let it oose out from the bottom... turn the bearing while doing this ... make sure you do it till its all clean... then oil them up and turn them again with you rfinger... they should feel smooth... if not they need replacing..

good luck !
Thanks buddy! I'll be sure to follow this advise..thanks

Dam!t im so bummed
Old 08-13-2005, 10:32 PM
Kemo

If there is any scarring on the crankshaft and sleeve, the engine is probably beyond worth repairing. That V-Spec might be right up your alley. Let me know how it goes after a good clean and inspection.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:43 PM
MassiveMods

and invest in some good thick cable ties and bolt that filter in ! Best of luck !
Old 08-14-2005, 10:46 PM
Kemo

What was the end result by the way?