Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

diff fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 11:04 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diff fluid

im gonna buy some diff fluid. what thickness should i get, and what thickness should i put where?
Old 08-17-2005, 11:48 PM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: diff fluid

You got your 1/8 buggy now?
Old 08-18-2005, 12:34 AM
PATchy

yeah did you get a buggy rustler[X(]?

..if you did, then good for you!

try 5,7,5 or 5,7,3 or 5,7,1

5k in front is my standard and so is 7k in the middle

i switch from 5,3,1 depending on the track or the terrain

p.s. YEAHHH i have 200 posts now
Old 08-18-2005, 10:59 PM
rolandh21

5-7-1 is the way i go....
Old 08-19-2005, 12:02 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

7k front/10k center/5k rear for bashin (me)
Old 08-19-2005, 01:22 AM
dicko

for racin i use 5 up front. 7 in the middle & 2 on the rear for a standard & bumpy track, i adjust my shocks differently between tracks though. 350 & medium springs on a smooth track & 400 & soft on a bumpy track.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:06 AM
MBX5T Maniac

what do you mean 350 and 400 dicko?
Old 08-20-2005, 04:17 PM
o.s. power

400 and 350 are mugen shock oil weights. pretty much equal to 35 and 40 wt.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:42 PM
MBX5T Maniac

strange. lol. can't they just say 35 and 40? or is that too hard?
Old 08-21-2005, 02:50 AM
vortex_au

One thing thats got me confused at the moment is.. How do you get the oil out of the diffs when you want to change it? Do you just take the plug out and let it ooze out or do you wash them out with motor spray or shellite or something?

Cheers
Old 08-21-2005, 03:07 AM
Aerobirdbrain

W/ my buggy, I just pull the diff cover off (that's usu. the ring gear), stuff an old rag in the diff case w/ all of the internal gears still in place and give the out-drive cup a couple of turns. In short order, the old fluid will transfer onto the old rag and your bevel gears will look like new as well; this works real well for heavier diff oil especially.

BTW, this question is for anyone, what is the effect on the car if you go from 5k to 1k and Thais versa on the rear diff?
Old 08-21-2005, 03:31 AM
casper7

I see some national UK drivers are running the following;

20,000 front, 30,000 Centre and 5,000 rear and I have seen some higher than this (or so it says in the mags)

10,000 front, 10,000 centre and 5,000 rear

I have started to run 5,000 front, 5000 centre and 1,000 rear and will change the rear to 3,000 if needed.

Who else is running some heavy weight diff oils and on what type of tracks?

Mike[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 08-21-2005, 08:51 PM
killer89

ORIGINAL: rustler08/mayhem maniac

strange. lol. can't they just say 35 and 40? or is that too hard?
because that the incorrect way to say it...

oil vicosity is measured in units of CPS.. that is what Mugen and some other use... unfortunately, Team losi and Team associated and others made their own systems that are all different... for example Losi 45wt is not the same as associated 45wt and not the same as mugen 450 cps....

here:

http://www.twf8.ws/new/tech/tip/shock.html
Old 08-21-2005, 09:16 PM
Super_Dave

Diff oil depends on the buggy, and driving style mainly. 5-5-1 will give you pretty much a front wheel drive buggy the 5 front will help both front tires get power in a corner the 5 center throws a lot of power to the front tires under acceleration and the 1 in the rear is just really light and loose to let the rear kinda just hang along. 5-7-3 is a little more of an agressive setup the 5 of corse giving you good drive out of the corners and its heavy enough to keep the steering smooth (light weight will give you quick off throttle steering responce). 7 in the center gives you a lot of 4 wheel bit but still lets those front tires get the power on the thottle to pull the buggy around and the 3 will give you enough resistance in the rear so that it wont swing around off the throttle and let you break both rear tires loose a little to get that rear end around but still easy to control.

Front- thicker less steering responce off throttle better on throttle pull out of corners and lighter lots of off throttle steering responce but less front wheel bit out of the corners.

Center- thicker gives more 4wd which can give you some under steer because the rear is pushing the front tires a long to much but great drive with all 4 wheels accelerating the buggy hard and thinner oil will give you a lot of power to the front wheels so it pulls the buggy around on the throttle more giving you good on throttle steering but lacks a little acceleration because mainly the front tires are pulling instead of all 4 digging.

Rear- the rear is a little trickier and is probly the most important to tune of the 3 diffs. thicker will give you understeer off the throttle because of the resistance between how each wheel spins to the other but as long as your on the throttle and have the tires broken loose of traction it will of corse bring the rear of the buggy around but you can't always break the tires loose like that... thinner oil will give you quick steering because of the low resistance that will let each wheel spin however fast they need to and it will give you a hard time to break both tires loose because all of the power goes to the tire with the least traction which is the inside tire. thinner rear oil tends to make the buggy feel like the rear is just swinging in the wind especially if you have something like the MP777 SP1 which has a whole lot of steering already but in something like a hyper 7 which normally has understeer it works pretty well in it unless you like that understeer.

Like I said you need to tune the diffs to the buggy and your driving style. Aside from the center diff i don't recomend putting higher then 7,000 weight oil in the front or rear diff. Its just to much resistance when you go up to 8 or higher and really doesn't give you much play in the diffs you'll pretty much be running locked diffs. 10 is as high as I would go in the center because even 7 gives you pretty good 4wd already. 10,000wt and up is good in monster trucks not buggies. I hope this info will help you.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:47 PM
Aerobirdbrain

Thanks Little Stampy, now maybe I'll be able to get my car to hook up.....
Old 08-22-2005, 07:57 PM
MBX5T Maniac

nice job stampy