Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

to grease or not to grease, that is the question

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

to grease or not to grease, that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 01:54 AM
motohead279

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to grease or not to grease, that is the question

I'm putting together my Ofna Hyper 7 pro, and I have a question. Are you supposed to use grease where the drive pinion gear meets the spur gear on the diff? The manual says nothing about applying grease there, but just want to make sure. i have seen some mistakes in there already.

thanks
Old 08-20-2005, 02:09 AM
kaneo

Default RE: to grease or not to grease, that is the question

Grease is definitely a good idea on the spots you mentioned. Just go to an automotive store and buy the thickest grease you can, because the thinner stuff will just get flung off as soon as the diffs start spinning.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:13 AM
motohead279

we are talking on the outside of the dif... not inside, right? I have dif oil inside.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:11 AM
Engrose

I guess that you're talking about the center diff, because then I have never seen anyone use grease between the clutchbell and the spurgear.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:25 AM
fishboy

Which differential are you talking about. The front, center or rear. If it's the center then no since it's not sealed and the grease will just attact and hold dirt, sand and debris. If it's the front or rear then they should be enclosed in a box. The front and rear should be greased. I use a standard automotive grease. Then seal the box with silicone when you bolt it on. A very small amount of silicone is all it takes. That will prevent dirt sand and moisture from getting into the gearbox and will reduce the frequency of maintenance required.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:01 AM
EB4man

I used Associated black grease on the front and rear ring and pinion gears inside the box. I put a little on the clutch bell and spur and that was a BAD IDEA!! I didn't think it was going to be as bad as it was...
Old 08-20-2005, 11:20 AM
motohead279

fishboy, that is exactly what i was asking. the manual didn't say apply grease so I wanted to make sure. and yes i realized not to put it on the center diff. thanks
Old 08-20-2005, 12:01 PM
fishboy

Yep, hehe. THe grease will reduce triction, heat, and wear on those gears. Heat is more of an issue becasue the box is generally made of plastic. As mentioned use a thick grease. The box doesn't need to be packed, but be sure to apply a nice thick layer. Grease is nice and cheap. Pick a high temp grease so that it doesn't thin out too much when you're running. Avoid straight petroleum based grease as it will thin out (vaseline is a nono). A nice Litium based grease with a high temp rating is decent.