Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Torsen Diff vs. stock diff

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 11:17 AM
motohead279

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torsen Diff vs. stock diff

Just curious of the differences between the two. I am building a a Hyper 7pro. Is it just a better quality peice, affect performance, etc?

Also, I noticed that it comes filled with grease. Should it be taken apart and filled with oil?

thanks.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:48 AM
SManMTB

Default RE: Torsen Diff vs. stock diff

A torsen diff is a torque sensing diff which sends the power to the wheel with the most grip. A standard diff sends the power to the wheel with the least grip.
I've never tried a torsen myself but they are supposed work really well on high-traction smooth surfaces.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:07 PM
Da Smak
Banned

There is quite possibly no other single part swap that can change the entire buggies handling. Torsens are a dream to drive with for me. But you have to have the right driving style, I'm a drifter and with the F and C Torsen combo, it's just point and go.

And on the maintenance point, They use thick grease, NEVER oil, Either Torsen grease or CV joint grease.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:08 PM
plaidfish

Torsens are great for fast smooth tracks....Ovals and perfectly groomed tracks.....they cost a lot of dough and need to be broken in just like an engine......and yes you should clean the stock diffs you got and add diff oil.....most common is 5-7-1 or 5-7-2, that's the weights from front to rear diff.....the grease will cause you to eat bevel and spider gears all the time.......general rule of thumb if you want to experiment is use heaviest oil in center and lightest oil in rear to prevent rear push in and out of corners.....front should be in between the 2 other weights.....the new thing now is running 5-5-5 also.....haven't tried it cause I don't need to.....
Old 08-23-2005, 02:31 PM
zzman
My Feedback: (3)

a friend put a torsen in his hyper and hated it. he took it out and put the stock back in. when it gets loose (spins) then you have to mentally tell yourself to let off the gas and get back into it. its hard to explain - i think they really dont help much at all on the US tracks at least. just try diff wt silicones in the stock diffs and save that $$$$
Old 08-23-2005, 02:41 PM
DKD

what about spyder diffs?
Old 08-23-2005, 03:04 PM
SManMTB

ORIGINAL: DKD

what about spyder diffs?
They are no different than normal diffs, maybe I am wrong.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:14 PM
kx250ryder

One note though. Torsen diffs are essentially dry. You only apply a small ammount of Torsen grease just to lubricate the parts. It is NOT like a standard differential that you fill 3/4 (or whatever) way up with fluid. For the most part, these diffs are not tuned by the viscosity of the grease you use. They perform their torque sensing action regardless of what you use. Unless that fluid happens to be JB weld . . .
Old 08-23-2005, 03:48 PM
motohead279

the reason I ask is that the kit comes with both diffs. I will not spend too much track time, mostly just running it around where I live. Right now I have set the car up with a 5/7/3 combo, but the Torsen diff comes with grease, which I have in the car right now.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:27 PM
kx250ryder

I guess the decision depends on what conditions are like where you bash. If conditions are smooth and somewhat slick, the diff will shine, allowing the car to make the best of the usable traction. If conditions are really rough, a TORSEN can be bad. This is because it always diverts power to the end which is harder to spin. In rough conditions, this means that the difficult-to-spin end is changing frequently (one wheel comes off the ground, then the other, then back, etc). This can confuse the cars handling a bit, since there is a slight delay before power is diverted. In extreme cases, this could cause the car to have a bump-steer like effect.

Old 08-23-2005, 04:34 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: SManMTB

ORIGINAL: DKD

what about spyder diffs?
They are no different than normal diffs, maybe I am wrong.

They are no different except that they have 6 spider gears.... I believe that is the diff you are referring to. They are ALOT stronger and you won't have to worry about eating gears all the time if you are a hard basher.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:26 PM
JJJEEEFFFFFF

Spider diffs are slightly different in the fact that because you have more gears the oil has more of an effect. you can use a lighter oil for the same diff action. I find that they let the wheels diff easier at low speed but harder at high speeds.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:56 AM
Donk23

Torsen or not to Torsen...

a good sum up:
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=1620248]Torsen or Normal[/link]
Old 08-24-2005, 05:43 AM
bernie192

i would go for the spyder diff for the hyper 7 as i have used it in mine for over a year cos i did hav a torsen and hand nothing but problems with it and the spyder seemed to sort it out