Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

P5X break in

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 08:52 AM
nitroneil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P5X break in

I have a new stock P5X and wondering which fuel is best to use for break in and beyond. I know a lot of you have this engine and have gone through it so all the help I get is appreciated.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:03 AM
Giorgi50

Default RE: P5X break in

Either Byrons 30% or Oddonnels 30% . Dont waste your time using 20% on that engine. the engine will be easier to tune and more crisp throttle response with the 30%. Plus it will run cooler. My first choice would be the Byrons, and second Odonnels. Either one is the best, its just that the Odonnels leave the inside of the engine brown and the Byrons doesnt'. Those are your best choices, so whatever one is ready available to you, use it. You cant go wrong with either.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:58 PM
EB4man

I use O'donnel 20%. Good stuff!! The brown that it leaves everywhere is oil and thats a good thing. I run my tanks dry and the end of the day and I DO NOT use after run oil. I don't think its required with O'donnels. it leaves plenty enough oil in there. Just as long as ALL the nitro is burned out, you'll never have a problem with corrosion! I've been thinking about switching to 30. probably will
Old 08-27-2005, 03:24 PM
peterman9000

My picco runs the best on 30% odonnel, so that fuel gets my vote.....
Old 08-27-2005, 06:48 PM
Giorgi50

The brown left in the engine is not oil. It is carbon buildup from natural castor oils. After run oil in still suggested even with the use of Oddonells. It will avoid the crank and bearings (any steel parts for that matter) from rusting, which will happen with any fuel. After run oils are always suggested and theres nothing but pros from using it and no cons.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:29 PM
zzman
My Feedback: (3)

byrons 30% is what i used on mine (4th P5 ive broke in) heat it up to 200deg and then start it up mine all started right out of the box let it idle for a 1/4 tank and then put it on the ground and start making circles on flat pavement using only 1/4 throttle, then the next tank the same but a little leaner on top keeping it around 220deg. i run 3 tanks let it cool down then 3 more after you reheat it, (when its cooling down make sure piston is at the bottom) after 4or 5 taNks start giving it 1/2 throttle bleeps to clean it out. after 10 tanks do full throttle bleeps for a SHORT time and get a 1/2 gal in it before you head to the track....
Old 08-28-2005, 06:56 AM
nitroneil

Thanks all, anyone used maxy's? I used it in my OS RG and ran its best with Maxys 25%. I will most likely use the Byrons 30% for my new mill. How about glow plugs # 6 rossi plug comes stock. Anyone use O'donnell 99 plugs?
Old 08-28-2005, 09:10 AM
zzman

If you got axcess to maxts use it! i used to but they dont carry it at a lot of the tracks here but that is perfect fuel 25% . break that in w/ the #6 plug then you can try a hotter plug after that. the plug really depends on the humidity,ambient temp,track ect ect... just see what most are using at your LT.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:06 PM
nitroneil

Thanks ZZman for all the help, I just stepped up to a new MBX5 with the P5X and cant waith to get it on the track! [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 08-28-2005, 08:52 PM
zzman

thats what i run and it screams and is planted like no other.... get the k-factory hinge pins at carolinas r/c