Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

lets talk tyres

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 06:46 AM
hyper701

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lets talk tyres

will proline knuckles 2.0 m2 tyres fit on to my standard hyper pbs rims?
if not im looking 4 a tyre that is good 4 strappin around my local track, its a hard cley surface with loose sand over the top, at the moment im using 3/4 worn bulldog tyres and the arse end is all over the place, i can hardly keep it on the track, any sugestions on what tyres will suit me. thanks
Old 08-28-2005, 03:25 PM
o.s. power

Default RE: lets talk tyres

all 1/8 scale tires and rims are a standard size, even the hex (thank christ!). so yes, knuckles 2.0 will fit on your stock rims. You said the track was hard clay with loose sand over the top, does the sand stay on the track at all times? if is gets swept off, you could try panther switch tires, those work really well on clay tracks. But the knuckles are a very good choice, especially if the clay is hard and dry like concrete.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:38 PM
Da Smak
Banned

Oh darn it, why wont these rims fit on my XB8?

Aha! the hex is too deep.

Why is the hub still spinning when I tighten the wheel?

AHA! The hex is 19mm. Darn those standard 17mm hexes.

Rims are GENERALLY standardised but there are exceptions. The tyres WILL fit your rims though.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:41 PM
Super_Dave

Knuckles are only good for very hard pack surfaces. The knuckle 2.0s are better then the original knuckles but if you have even just a thin layer of loose dirt ontop the knuckles get a little loose. You wont have as much tire life but try the crime fighters. The track I run on is hardpack clay with a small layer of dust ontop and they hook up pretty well. Moabs are very good all around tires and they seem to be hooking up well on the local track aswell even though I never tried them. If the track has a very very thin layer of dust ontop then go with the cell blocks. Side bite and forward bite are fantastic as long as the dirt isn't too deep but they don't last long at all because of the micro size tread on it. My best recomendation are crime fighters. Close and shallow tread patterns are for hardpack only and spaced, deep tread patterns are good in loose dirt.

Rims you do need to have the correct hub offsets but they are all pretty close and I never had any offset problems running the proline rims (only tried them on a kyosho MP777 and hyper PBS). Tires size is all the same otherwise.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:25 PM
Mrfranchize02

I race on a track so slick and dusty that no tire really hooks up, not even Komodo Dragon II's. The step pins (medium) are the best so far. Im tempted to try the Proline Badlands you a little looseness in the rear is good.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:32 PM
kaneo

I would say the knuckles are a good way to go for your type of track. The track I race on is very similar as what you described and I find the knuckles great. Sure, they don't hook up quite as well as komodo dragons or crime fighters, but I consider money a factor as well. Yesterday, after three 5 minute qualifiers and a 10 min main (along with some practice) my knuckles where anywhere from 25-50% gone. Now compare that to other guys running the pin-type tires and their tires are almost bald after one day of racing!
Old 08-28-2005, 09:21 PM
MassiveMods

Crime fighters Hard compound front soft compound rear, or dirty harrys. If they wet the track down before racing go the crime fighters.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:33 AM
hyper701

yes we do wet the track b4 we race, we need to caus otherwise its to loose.
i got a set of 4 knuckles 2.0s off ebay bran new for $41.00 australian, is that a good price?
Old 08-29-2005, 01:37 AM
Super_Dave

Kaneo I have no idea what kind of track your running on but on hardpack clay with fine clay dust ontop the knuckles pretty much don't wear at all and the crime fighters XTR compound last atleast 3-4 weekends before some pins start to rip off and the tire loses traction (three practice tanks of fuel, two 5min heats, and the mains). I've had an old worn set of crime fighters that I just ran on pavement once and they lasted 4 tanks of fuel in hard full throttle running before they became somewhat bald and thats running a Mach .26 motor which has loads of low end torque.

Knuckles are ok but in any type of loose dirt the dirt has no room to go because of the tread design making the tire basically float ontop of the dirt instead of diggin in. If you have any type of dust or dirt on the surface thats atleast 1/8 of an inch thick and with bald, hardpack tracks where cars drove over you will need something that can bite in if you want to get good grip.

Close flat topped tread (like the knuckles) give you a lot of tire contact on the track at once making them ideal for blue groove hardpack tracks with extremly small amounts of dust in some spots. Because the tread is so close the tires will not let dirt up inside the tread to grab a hold of it and give you the traction you need so they wont hook up on tracks with even small amounts of loose dirt just setting ontop of hardpack.

Deep spaced tread patterns are specifically for loose dirt. Tires like the proline multi-spike, dirty harrys, and mug shots are loose dirt tires. The deep, far spaced tread will give the dirt room to get in between each tread and lock the dirt in between each tread letting the tire grab into the dirt giving you the grip you need. For tires like the badlands they are purpose build for something more like very loose mulch or anything thats been freshly turned up and not packed at all.

Moabs are extremly good all around tires. The tread is fairly spaced to let a lot of loose dirt lock between each one of the V shaped treads on the tire but the Vs also have flat tops to them so if your on a blue groove track you will get a lot of rubber contacting the track to give you the traction. They aren't the ideal tire to have for each track condition but they are possibly the best all around tread design made for r/c buggies and monster trucks and they will last you a very long time.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:22 AM
MassiveMods

ORIGINAL: hyper701

i got a set of 4 knuckles 2.0s off ebay bran new for $41.00 australian, is that a good price?
Where you running ? If its Liverpool crimefighters are IMO best. Knuckles are good for practise and ideal surfaces.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:50 AM
Super_Dave

$41 is an average price for tires alone. Usually a pair of proline tires with foams are about $20 and rims are about $15 so about $70 for a set of 4 rims and tires.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:50 AM
hyper701

no, im in central queensland
Old 08-29-2005, 06:05 PM
kidswift

knuckles are good but i dont recommend pro-line anything to anyone I run on a track that is similar to what you described and I would recommend the PANTHER kumohdo dragon 2's or panther step pins
Old 08-29-2005, 06:59 PM
kx250ryder

I scream Badlands. Especially if the loose layer of sand on top is pretty deep. Those tires grab like no other. Vicious ammounts of traction on a wide variety of surfaces. Plus the roost, ahhh the roost, you can hit nearby drivers in the head with the spray from these tires. They can't win if they can't see, lol.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:53 PM
polikarpov i16

I also run badlands
they work realy well at my local track
proubably because we are in a drout and it dosen't hold water very well
when conditions are right the dragons seem to be better
in reality on our track you never know what you got untill you run the race and bad lands seem to everything well
they are not for the ham fisted drivers though because you can traction roll easy if you are on it too much
slow is fast
Old 09-02-2005, 12:31 AM
Super_Dave

ORIGINAL: kidswift

knuckles are good but i dont recommend pro-line anything to anyone I run on a track that is similar to what you described and I would recommend the PANTHER kumohdo dragon 2's or panther step pins
I second that. The kumohdo dragon 2s grip a tiny bit more on looser dirt then the crime fighters. Hyper701 how much of its hardpack and how much of its loose sand? You gotta be fairly specific on track condition because they make tires for anything basically and only one set can be ideal for certain conditions. Mainly if its mostly hardpack (meanin somewhere between full out blue groove or a little bit of loose dirt ontop) or if its mostly just loose dirt or sand thats about and inch deep.

Hardpack: crime fighters, kumohdo dragon 2s, moabs, knuckles
Loose: badlands, dirt harrys
Crime fighters and the dragons are pretty good in both unless the hardpack is straight blue groove then you need knuckles. Theres a lot more tires out there so look around yourself and I told you how each tire works in an earilier post so just try something that looks like it will work on the track.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:30 PM
mikec456
My Feedback: (1)

Can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between Crime fighters m2 & m3? Is there any markings on the tires?
Old 04-08-2007, 10:10 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: hyper701

If it is hard packed and instead of watering it you blow it off it will blue grove and you will not get as much dust. Best traction you can get on dirt!
Old 04-08-2007, 05:13 PM
sexyfingaz

ORIGINAL: MassiveMods

Crime fighters Hard compound front soft compound rear, or dirty harry's. If they wet the track down before racing go the crime fighters.
I don't think pro-line make dirty harry's anymore, haven't seen any lately, can anyone confirm this?
Old 04-08-2007, 05:24 PM
Rs43EVOman

I didnt really read through this whole thread, but i cant believe that somone didnt reccoemnd in the first 2 psots that the best thing to dow hen wondering what tirws to run is to head over to the trakc and assk. im willing to bet the majority of the people at your track are running the same tires, and the rest are probably running something very similar that might be a bit cheeper, harder, softer, ect.