Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

KINDA new--don't know which scale to go!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

KINDA new--don't know which scale to go!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 07:21 PM
Deanwvu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KINDA new--don't know which scale to go!!

I said KINDA new, so I will explain....

I purchased a kit similar to this one about 5 years ago:

http://www.kyosho.co.jp/web/products...orce_dr-e.html

I put it together, ran it alot. But, I started a new career, moved away from home (where there was a ton of great places to run it), and really didnt use it anymore. Basically sat in storage. I moved to Arlington, VA, and though I really didnt try to find a good place to run the truck, I just assumed it a lost cause. Now I've bought a house, moved a bit out in the suburbs, I'd like to pick the hobby back up again. There is a nive RC hobby shop nearby, and they even meet on Sundays to run at a local BMX track. I went there tonight (without my truck, purely observing) and it looked like a BLAST!! Definitely getting back into things ASAP!!

Anyway, backstory over... For now, I am working on getting my truck running again. Its very dirty, and there are some drivetrain issues-looking into that right now. I will run it the rest of this year till winter. For next year, I am looking to buy a new buggy/truck, but I am torn over which scale to buy. Basically, should I go for the BIG scale buggies (1/6 or 1/5, etc) that are gasoline run?? Or, should I buy another nitro-powered buggy? I definitely want to go buggy, as I already have a MT. I am looking for something that is lower to the ground and not so "clumsy" while cornering--something that will really hug turns without rolling. Looking also to move up in power to a .21 or bigger--do they make bigger??

The bigger scale models look like a lot of fun too. But, i have never seen one run in-person--only videos online. Are they as responsive as the 1/8 scale? I worry that all that weight will only lend itself to a "clunky" feel--that perhaps the extra power generated by the 23-29cc gas motor will be negated by the extra weight of the big buggy??

Thats basically my dilemma. Not huge, since I wont be buying anything till at least January, but I was hoping to have a firm decision by then, so I thought I'd ask you guys!

So, whatya think? Higher power nitro buggy? Or big scale gas-powered??

Especially looking for responses from those that have both!!!

Thank you!
Old 08-28-2005, 07:24 PM
Deanwvu

Default RE: KINDA new--don't know which scale to go!!

Ohh, forgot to mention, am looking for a new OFF-ROAD model only! THanks!
Old 08-28-2005, 07:28 PM
motohead279

Default RE: KINDA new--don't know which scale to go!!

I just recently got back into the scene from taking a 15 year or so hiatus. I ran electric offraod before, but just bought a 1/8 buggy, the Hyper 7 pro. I actually just got it together and haven't even started it up yet.

My opinion would to be go 1/8 scale. The main reason I would say is that there might be limited # of places that you can run the bigger car, where as you might not have a problem running a 1/8, I guess it depends on where you lie and how many areas you would have to drive them.

Then again, what do I know?!