Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Ofna 1/8 Ultra MBX Competition RTR

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Ofna 1/8 Ultra MBX Competition RTR

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 11:59 AM
bgw_savage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ofna 1/8 Ultra MBX Competition RTR

I want to purchase a buggy... I am looking to spend in the neighborhood of $300-$350. Is this a good Manufacturer / Model? If not, please suggest an alternative within price range thanks.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:47 PM
Engrose

Default RE: Ofna 1/8 Ultra MBX Competition RTR

The Ofna LX Comp is better since it don't have the electric start and is cheaper. But basically they are the same. For the money I don't think you can do much better. They are tough and durable.

But - if you want to race 1/8 buggies you must be prepared to spend more money than the 300-350$

And since the purchase of the buggy is the small part of the budget, you can just as well get a better one from the start.

If it's just for playing around, then the LX Comp is the best value for money.

Old 09-30-2005, 02:16 PM
slicks

I agree with Engrose -- one of the guys at our local track bought the MBX Comp and had nothing but trouble with the electric start. A couple of others purchased the LX Comp and they didn't have near the problems. However -- if you plan on racing -- I would recommend waiting until you can spend about $500 or so and get a better buggy. You will be much happier if you do.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:27 PM
bgw_savage

No racing in my future... my brother & I (now in our 30's) are getting buggies to bash around like when we were in high school. I will go with the LX. I have a Savage SS MT and I like the pull start. I have heard bad things about electric starters + you need a battery and charger (more $$).

Great advice... thanks.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:28 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

You might also consider the Ofna Ravager. It is within your price range and comes with a .28 engine, which is the largest I've seen in any RTR 1/8 Buggy. The rest of the package is slightly different from the LX Comp. Since the Ravager is Ofna's newest RTR buggie, it should carry most of the updates Ofna offers (wide suspesion arms, largest tank, etc.).

I too was recently shopping for a 1/8 buggie for bashing. The Ravager was on my final short list, but I ended up going a bit overboard with an Ofna 9.5 Pro kit and a Werks Collari .32 engine.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:16 PM
Engrose

If you decide to get the LX comp there is a few upgrades that you should consider to buy:

A 6V humppack and a failsafe are good to have.

The steering servo that the comes with the comp isn't very good, so you might want to buy a better one.

But apart from that it is good. I race mine a lot and haven't broken that many parts. I have an OS RG engine in it and have upgraded the electronics as well.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:52 PM
Super_Dave

The ravager would be the best choice in my opinion. The motor that comes in the comp and MBX aren't worth getting. The motor in the ravager is the same motor that comes in the Savage 4.6 kit. Its a great motor and unlike the force engines it has a lot of power, easy to tune, and very reliable. Otherwise its basically the same buggy as the LX.

With any ofna you buy the electronics are crap. You really should atleast upgrade to having a 6v battery pack and atleast a steering servo... if you want brakes than get a throttle/brake servo too because the stock one doesn't have enough torque. Sense your only bashing the transmitter and reciver will be fine. A fail safe is always a good thing to have $25 is better than losing signal and destroying the buggy.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:17 PM
slicks

ORIGINAL: bgw_savage

No racing in my future... my brother & I (now in our 30's) are getting buggies to bash around like when we were in high school. I will go with the LX. I have a Savage SS MT and I like the pull start. I have heard bad things about electric starters + you need a battery and charger (more $$).

Great advice... thanks.
in your 30's --- I hit 50 this year and have a son in college and race almost every weekend with my daughter at a local track -- Little Stampy is there too.

As Engrose stated - you really should get a rechargeable pack and upgrade the servo's as both he and Little Stampy said. From what I hear the engine in the Rav - is much better than what you would get in the LX. I would give the Rav some thought if I were you.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:39 AM
Engrose

I looked at the Ravager and have to agree. It looks like it is better than the Comp on some important places:

The radiobox is better since there seems to be room enough and the receiver and battery is in seperate compartments.
Quad disc brake instead of two disc.
No irritating laydown steering servo layout.
C-hub instead of kingpin (not sure if this is really an advantage!)
.28 engine instead of the .26 Force which many people says are not that good. I haven't tried a Force engine, so I can't say.

And it's not that much more expensive. But as said, you will not go wrong with the Comp but try to take a look at the Ravager before you buy.

Old 10-03-2005, 10:45 AM
bgw_savage

The Ravager is $350 at Tower... not too bad. I will look into.

I have a 6v pack and fail safe on my Savage... wouldn't bash without them

Thanks to all.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:33 PM
aggr4v4t3d

also consider this jsut incase you do want to race, now this is just in case, you cannot race the ravager unless your local track doesnt go by raor standards. Just food for thought. Beside the engine being to large, must be a .21 or below, the ravager like the 9.5 were to wide and i beleive to long to race with. Just some info for ya in case you do want to try racing at some time
Old 10-03-2005, 02:13 PM
JRXPRO

I just got the ravager... its VERY NICE! Tower has it for 350 and 20$ off right now. shipping about 8$!!!