Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Fantom .27

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 12:33 AM
thereisnoname

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fantom .27

What do you guys think abt this engine in a buggy?
Old 11-11-2005, 04:44 AM
J_Bone
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Fantom .27

I haven't seen one in person, but I'm not impressed with the Fantom engines I have seen. Well the .12 small block is ok.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:45 PM
plaidfish

it is by far hands down the fastest mill I ever dropped in my buggy.....it smoked my friends 421b hottinger mod....BUT I got one that sucks arse and troy won't return my calls for a second return....I sent it in once because the piston head chattered in th esleeve, got less than 10 tanks including breakin....he replaced the sleeve and charged me 20 bucks......I broke it in again for 6 tanks and got 3 out of it after.....It never temped over 245 and I can turn it upside down w/o the head and th esleeve falls out of the case when it's cold....now I'm stuck w/ a mill I paid almost 200 for and it's totally useless.....it looks BRAND NEW and you can just roll the Flywheel w/ your pinky.....I did like the older red headed .18 mills but after those went away their mills ar echeapo throw aways....besides he's not making nitro mills anymore......you won't be able to get conrods or sleeves or anything for them now......
Old 11-11-2005, 08:58 PM
ringneck

fantoms are junk same engine as the wasp 28 all these engines do is chuck rods and the sleeve and piston go south very quik. i had one in my lst and only got a gallon out of it and they wouldnt warrenty it and my buddy had one in his 777 and same thing chucked a rod at one gallon. if you whant a .27 i suggest an ofna picco 27 or the werks collari picco 27 both come in pull start and non pull syart versions and both are good engines and easy to tune and last alot longer.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:48 AM
J_Bone
My Feedback: (1)

Or a Sportwerks .26 for $130
Old 11-12-2005, 06:41 AM
zr1s10
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: roscoe71

fantoms are junk same engine as the wasp 28 all these engines do is chuck rods and the sleeve and piston go south very quik. i had one in my lst and only got a gallon out of it and they wouldnt warrenty it and my buddy had one in his 777 and same thing chucked a rod at one gallon. if you whant a .27 i suggest an ofna picco 27 or the werks collari picco 27 both come in pull start and non pull syart versions and both are good engines and easy to tune and last alot longer.
I agree I've got the Picco 27 in mine and it runs soo nice. Want to buy another as a spare but I keep seem to be spending money elsewhere.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:20 PM
plaidfish

I'm looking at a sirio .27 now instead...should be similar performance but much longer lasting as well.....there's very few super sized big blocks that rev really high...the Fantom/Wasp/diablo mills would be insane if they were better quality......
Old 11-13-2005, 10:23 AM
ringneck

no no no the sirio will be insanley faster and the piston and sleeve will have alot of compresion and last 10 times longer. youre buggy may be to fast with that mill. the only issue with sirio mills is they are weather sevsitive and can be a pain to tune. but they are good quality.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:53 AM
plaidfish

I've actually run the Sirio .27pro before...I sold it with the truck it was in.......I did also run it in my buggy and replaced it w/ a fantom .27...I had good luck w/ the first fantom but the second one I got was a lemon......the fantom was faster....not alot but it was definatley a super revving design......I want the sirio .27 for my truggy anyway cause it's running priamry ratio in the mud...I need high RPMs to get the most of that truck.....I'm staying away from the 11 port models though.....they are the super tuning sensitive ones...the 8 port is much more reliable and they do last if you take care of them......