Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Should I replace my Hyper7 carb?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 12:30 PM
Denis54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I replace my Hyper7 carb?

I bought a Hyper7 PBS with the 8 port engine this summer. It is my first gas car. I did the breakin as per the OFNA procedure and once completed the engine ran fine for maybe half a gallon of gas. Then it began to run erratically. Sometimes it runs fine at idle and at low speed but it dies as soon at it reaches mid speed. At other times, it runs fine for a few minutes and dies without warning after 2 or 3 minutes. I do not remember the last time I could burn a full tank of gas. I am getting so frustrated that if I cannot get it to run properly, I will just sell it and forget about the hobby.

I suspect my lack of experience might be the cause of my problems. The carburator has 3 needle valves and I have a hard time figuring out how to tune them. The mid range needle is the most confusing. I know I should not touch it but I richened it up a bit and it made an improvement but my engine is still inconsistent. I do not know any local guy I could ask for guidance for baseline adjustments.

Is there any, easier to tune, 2 needle valves carburator I could buy to replace my existing carburator?

I do not want to race I just want to use it for bashing. I have a temp gun and run the engine at 220-230. I would not care if I loose a bit of power. I just want a reliable engine.

Should I get an easier to tune engine? Would the OS RG be a good replacement? Any other engine I should consider?
Old 11-28-2005, 01:32 PM
Engrose

Default RE: Should I replace my Hyper7 carb?

The OS RG is a very good and cheap alternative. It is very easy to tune and furthermore the carb from the RG can be used as a replacement on the Hyper engine.

You can also try to use the search function in order to locate the Hyper tuning guide from Alex in this forum.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:04 PM
JJJEEEFFFFFF

it might be your carb, or it might be your engine.

But it might be alot of other things also.

I'ld be looking for air leaks, splits in fuel tanks fuel lines, etc.

I think you should find out what is wrong before you buy a new engine. If you do buy a new engine to fix the problem, that os is probably a really good choice.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:37 PM
MassiveMods

the problem is you ran it in as per Ofna instructions.. Just a general rule. Never follow run in instructions from an engine manufacturer.. all they want is for your engine to blow within the first gallon so you have to buy another.. Let me guess they said to run rich on the block for 2 tanks or something.. ?
Old 11-28-2005, 08:36 PM
JJJEEEFFFFFF

Hey massive, can you give us some more info on how you would run in the motors. I still follow the book to a reasonble extent.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:22 AM
hyper701

like engrose said, do a search for alexs hyper tuning guide, it helped me out heaps, my engine hasnt missed a beat yet
Old 11-29-2005, 06:16 AM
Engrose

A good break-in method are the Bess method.
But with Hyper engines, then just follow the Alex method
Old 11-29-2005, 07:06 AM
J_Bone
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: MassiveMods

the problem is you ran it in as per Ofna instructions.. Just a general rule. Never follow run in instructions from an engine manufacturer.. all they want is for your engine to blow within the first gallon so you have to buy another.. Let me guess they said to run rich on the block for 2 tanks or something.. ?
Massive...you got a PM!!

I would give a tip on the Hyper MSN, but some guys said the information that I got from OFNA directly was wrong and I'm tired of "know it all's" on this site who don't know it all!!

I replaced my carb with a OS 20e carb and it ran much more consistant and held a tune.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:55 AM
hyper701

is that the tip about lining up the holes, i did it after my MSN came loose and have had no prob since.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:54 AM
HyperDrive

Have you changed the glow plug??