Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

OS RG oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 09:02 PM
Limegrntaln

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS RG oil leak

Ok I dont know if its just me but I was out running it through my 4th tank (from new) today and I was putting it around trying to just get through a few tanks. I got it going part throttle letting it coast while just blipping it around. I dont think I ever got above 210 degrees. When I was done with it. I had it on the table picked it up to make sure the piston was BDC and I put my finger on the flywheel...OIL!! WTH.. looked like it was coming from the front motor bearing. behind the flywheel. the motor is only 4 tanks old. what should I do?

I took a picture.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16362.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	390432  
Old 01-18-2006, 09:12 PM
J_Bone
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: OS RG oil leak

Usually that is un-burnt fuel coming out the bearing. It's typical for all Nitro engines to do that. Just keep an eye on it while doing the break in. After you finish the break in and start to lean it out, there should be less oil coming out.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:12 PM
joes75
My Feedback: (2)

DUDEEEEEE..I cant recall seeing that with my OS engine. I dont think its normal though..See what the experts here have to say.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:12 PM
clone3

Please tell me that's not a v-spec(I cant tell from the pic if the case is black).
Old 01-18-2006, 10:31 PM
Limegrntaln

Check the topic clone3 its an OS RG. and J-Bone, I did notice that one time it stalled it was smoking and I thought I smoked the entire motor but it stopped as soon as I picked it up, looked like some of that fuel/oil got onto the bottom of the pipe.

I was worried because when I sat it down there was a puddle under the flywheel about the size of a silver dollar. its not leaking anymore. but thats probably because its drained. at least it doesnt run like a car motor where the oil is separate from the fuel. I know it will always have oil in the fuel. just my luck these "high performance motors" dont come with a warranty

Joe did you see my lid painted, its in the buggy pics thread. came out pretty good.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:13 PM
SManMTB

ORIGINAL: Limegrntaln

Ok I dont know if its just me but I was out running it through my 4th tank (from new) today and I was putting it around trying to just get through a few tanks. I got it going part throttle letting it coast while just blipping it around. I dont think I ever got above 210 degrees. When I was done with it. I had it on the table picked it up to make sure the piston was BDC and I put my finger on the flywheel...OIL!! WTH.. looked like it was coming from the front motor bearing. behind the flywheel. the motor is only 4 tanks old. what should I do?

I took a picture.
That's normal. Carry on.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:18 PM
Limegrntaln

ORIGINAL: SManMTB

I took a picture.
That's normal. Carry on.
Should I see it taper off and eventually go away? Im just curiuos because I didnt see it at all with my force .26
Old 01-18-2006, 11:19 PM
joes75
My Feedback: (2)

Check the topic clone3 its an OS RG. and J-Bone, I did notice that one time it stalled it was smoking and I thought I smoked the entire motor but it stopped as soon as I picked it up, looked like some of that fuel/oil got onto the bottom of the pipe.

I was worried because when I sat it down there was a puddle under the flywheel about the size of a silver dollar. its not leaking anymore. but thats probably because its drained. at least it doesnt run like a car motor where the oil is separate from the fuel. I know it will always have oil in the fuel. just my luck these "high performance motors" dont come with a warranty

Joe did you see my lid painted, its in the buggy pics thread. came out pretty good.

I just saw it man, very nice job you did..[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 01-18-2006, 11:21 PM
J_Bone
My Feedback: (1)

It should taper off. Mine got less and less but there is always some build up. My RG leaks more through the exhaust adaptor than any where else.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:26 PM
Limegrntaln

Thanks Joe, it was a pita to tape off and paint.

Jason, I will keep an eye on it to see how it goes. I figured it couldnt be that bad because the fuel has oil in it. on the other hand I could have gotten a bad bearing to begin with and thats whats causing it. Like SManMTB said its normal carry on [8D]
Old 01-18-2006, 11:35 PM
SManMTB

ORIGINAL: SManMTB

I took a picture.
That's normal. Carry on.
Should I see it taper off and eventually go away? Im just curiuos because I didnt see it at all with my force .26
There will always be some leaks. Bearings are not perfectly air tight. Some leak more, some leak less. Nothing to worry about. I've ran engines leaking far more than that. In fact, I used non sealed bearing when racing boats. Take it from there.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:35 PM
clone3

limegrntaln- sorry-I should have looked at the post more befor I responded. Anyway---If it can leak oil, It can suck air!!!- watch for temp spikes and high eratic idle(lean air leak). I hope you don't have problems----Best of luck!!!
Old 01-18-2006, 11:41 PM
SManMTB

That is true but that little spot after 4 tanks is nothing. It actually looks more like 'melted' grease from the front bearing.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:44 PM
clone3

SMANMTB-I hope your right. I just hate to see racers with motor problems.[:@]
Old 01-18-2006, 11:44 PM
Limegrntaln

clone3

Im wondering if air leaks in the crankcase would have the same effects as coming in through the carb, should the crankcase be sealed off by the piston and piston ring? So carb leak would = leak in compression= incorrect air fuel ratio causing hot temps?

I know far less about buggy engines than I do about 1:1 cars.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:46 PM
Limegrntaln

The Silver dollar sized puddle under the buggy was dark yellow sticky oil almost like pancake syrup, but a little lighter colored.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:57 PM
SManMTB

ORIGINAL: clone3

SMANMTB-I hope your right. I just hate to see racers with motor problems.[:@]
Me too. IMO Nitro engines are always messy - at least mine and they are never a problem.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:59 PM
SManMTB

The Silver dollar sized puddle under the buggy was dark yellow sticky oil almost like pancake syrup, but a little lighter colored.
..... basically the same colour as the grease used for new bearings?
I don't think you need to worry.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:03 AM
Limegrntaln

Im a little more at ease. Im glad you guys replied I was going to email OS a nasty email tomorrow. I was getting my thoughts together. But it looks like I dont have to go through that after all.

Thanks guys..

It actually looks more like grease in the picture than I can see it in person. man my camera takes clear pics.

Name:	Wu61412.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	390566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68474.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	390567  
Old 01-19-2006, 12:30 AM
badSN95

clone3

Im wondering if air leaks in the crankcase would have the same effects as coming in through the carb, should the crankcase be sealed off by the piston and piston ring? So carb leak would = leak in compression= incorrect air fuel ratio causing hot temps?

I know far less about buggy engines than I do about 1:1 cars.

If you look at the motors you will see the fuel is sucked out of the crankcase by the piston. Unlike most 1:1 motors suck it in thru the heads. So if it is leaking air around the bearings or even the pullstarter it would be running leaner then the carb is set for.

If you have never had one of these apart I suggest you do. They actually suck fuel from the crankcase between the block and the sleeve thru ports into the piston area. Then the piston covers those ports just slightly before the ignition takes place.

I don't know alot about the timing of these motors but the design intrigues me. I just recently got into nitro cars.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:33 AM
Limegrntaln

Thanks bad.

And there you have it. I learn something new everyday, I didnt even know that. I never really looked at one that close. That makes me a motor newbie.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:36 AM
clone3

I've got some pic's for ya---

Name:	Ge95024.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	390583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78923.jpg
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	390584   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38150.jpg
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	390585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd86956.jpg
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	390586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny26582.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	390587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tj74521.jpg
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	390588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ce71185.jpg
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	390589  
Old 01-19-2006, 12:41 AM
Limegrntaln

Is that your brand new RB motor apart already...WTH... [X(]
Old 01-19-2006, 12:47 AM
clone3

Some pics are from the RB---Some are from an O.S. V-spec.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:03 AM
Limegrntaln

oh ok [8D]