Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Ofna Ultra MBX R2....

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 05:32 PM
junz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ofna Ultra MBX R2....

I just bought this 1/8th buggy used and its really fun to run. I'm not a racer or anything I just wanted to get into RC cars and have a little fun, maybe start a new hobby. The car has Picco .21 in it and it runs great and really tears up the track IMO. I was wondering what kind of modifications I can make to this buggy? What kind of parts can I use? and are parts for this buggy interchangeable with other buggies? thanks in advance guys.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:53 AM
tweaked77

Default RE: Ofna Ultra MBX R2....

I am wondering the same thing.. actually just made a thread about it. Mine had the hyper .21 motor in it.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:32 PM
junz

Is there no one who can help us with this?
Old 02-14-2006, 06:32 AM
Lightnen

Hay guys, not sure for I've checked even at Ofna sight myself for mods. and what other will fit. The one I picked up has aluminum front knuckel arms. with 6x13 bearing. I'm biteing the bullet and takeing a chance with going to universals front and back. Also saw in a thread some wheres that the Purple Aluminum clutch shoes with a Mullen 1.1 spring is a very good choice for the clutch. Oh have changed out the servos as well and gone to a Steering Hitch servo metal gears. I think the Ofna ultra pro or the Ofna ultra mbx. parts should fit this buggy. But hay what do I know only an armature here myself. LOL

Lightnen
Old 02-14-2006, 09:20 AM
junz

Cool man, let us know if any new mods work for you. What about shocks? Can we use any brand of shocks for this buggy? i know this is an old buggy and there is not much you can do for it, I dont want to race it but id like to be able to mod eventually. If I bought a new chasis from a different model can I transfer the parts on my MBX R2 onto it? Thanks again.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:11 PM
Lightnen

Well haven't found anyone to say what other buggy parts will fit so kind of winging here myself, changing out the rear dog bones and going to the LXABD0 Ofna Universal Joints from Tower hobbie. These should work with the 6x13 bearing. I think any of the Ultra mbx parts should work BUT don't hold me to it.. LOL

Lightnen
Old 02-14-2006, 09:23 PM
sly2136

most of the ultra parts will fit one another but be careful the ultra comp lx and ultra comp mbx have the wider arms so the shafts won't fit you will need the narrow shafts for yours
Old 02-15-2006, 09:17 AM
Lightnen

Thanks there Sly I'll try and remember them to to stay away from.. Thought the ulra comp mbx would be close to the same as the ultra mbx-R2 here.. Sure don't need extra parts I can't use.LOL

Junz about the Shocks, I've just went to any 1/8 buggy shock with titanium shafts I think their a bigger bore which helps out some..

Lightnen
Old 02-15-2006, 12:47 PM
Lightnen

Well I've come across another Problem here, which is when I removed the Front Gear Box and turned over the found that "There is NO Cover over the base of box.".. Has anyone else checked into this?? I've been told to remove the old gear and put in 7K wait oil which I was ready to do BUT now how would this be possible. Or did the fellow I bought this buggy off forget something.. LOL

Lightnen
Old 02-15-2006, 12:52 PM
sly2136

your talking a cover that goes between the chassis and the diff box if that is what your talking about there is none just put a thin layer of grease where it mounts and that will keep the crap out
Old 02-15-2006, 01:15 PM
junz

I think that i read somewhere that the gear boxes for the MBX R2's are not sealed and I think the other models are. you should check that out in the specs for the R2 compaired to the others.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:34 PM
Lightnen

Well thanks there Sly, but instead of Thin coat of grease I'll do a thin coat of RTV silicone sealant let it set up then reinstall gear box. I was worried that maybe some of the parts were missing off the box..

Lightnen
Old 02-15-2006, 03:37 PM
Lightnen

Well Junz I was thinking of doing that but even the parts manual for the R2 does not show the bottom of the gear box so didn't figure that the other manuals would either, but thanks for the thought..

Lightnen
Old 02-15-2006, 05:46 PM
junz

hey Lighten, I just checked the specs on Tower Hobbies for the MBX R2 and for the GearBox it say's :Open, both front and rear. I compaired it with others from the Ultra series and they are all sealed or closed so I dont think your missing any parts. I havent taken my R2 apart yet to see for myself. Here are the links for the different Ultra cars. The top one is for the R2 you can check them out and compair. Also Whats the benifits of adding the LXABD0 Ofna Universal Joints to the buggy instead of using the dog bones that come with it?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAXV2&P=7

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLTL4&P=ML

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAXV1&P=ML
Old 02-15-2006, 07:11 PM
Lightnen

Thanks there Junz I'll check them box's out, not sure if any other will fit with out changing the hole set up (arms, suspension,etc.) so might just try the RTV sealant first. As fare as the Dog Bones don't think there is much of an advantage its just preference I'd say for I've had a few bad experiances while raceing, darn bones get junk in them then your suspension won't work. So going to try and mod there rear drive.. LOL

Lightnen
Old 06-22-2006, 07:27 PM
miices

if u do check this thread again the best place to get new and better parts for all of those cars is at www.nitrohouse.com. there are lots of better parts for the mbx r2 the sealed diffs are part #'s 31324 and 31325. u have to find them in the list but they are sealed. theres also some upgrades for that car too. hope this helps