Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
 Want to get new buggy. Whats the best thing around $400? >

Want to get new buggy. Whats the best thing around $400?

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Want to get new buggy. Whats the best thing around $400?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to get new buggy. Whats the best thing around $400?

Looking to buy a buggy. Want some help deciding witch one i should get??
Old 02-21-2006, 10:33 PM

Default RE: Want to get new buggy. Whats the best thing around $400?

Will you be bashing or racing with it (or both) and are you looking for a kit or an RTR?
Old 02-21-2006, 11:02 PM

Both...Have revo bash it good now i want a buggy.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:29 PM

Assuming you didn't take any parts off your Revo, so that both kits could stay operational, you are looking at a budget of probably $500+ to get a buggy working. The term RTR is a misnomer in most cases that still requires some additional purchases.

If you can spare it, I would say get a kit, with a 12 volt heavy duty starter box, a steering servo w/120 oz of torque or higher, a 6 volt receiver pack, and an FM radio and build it yourself. RTRs come with just the bare bones to get by, lousy lubricants, electronics, motors, cheap starting equptment in most cases and those that come with good electronics and motors, are usually bad cars, as there is always a trade off to make the low cost of an RTR.

The better way would be (so you don't buy everything twice when the first round of stuff craps out early):
Kit: 250-700
Radio: 100-500
High Torque Steering Servo: 50-100
Engine/Pipe: 200-450
12 Volt Heavy Duty Starter Box (w/battery): 100
Receiver Battery: 25
Temperature Gauge: 20-150
Peak charger: 50-150
Gas: 30

To purchase a kit, that will have quality components that won't leave you wishing for more and kicking yourself later, expect to spend $800+, unless you already have some of the stuff lying around. With the hell that these buggies are expected to endure, the saying "buy cheap, buy twice" really comes into play.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:44 PM

KX I don't think I've ever seen someone explain the reason to get a kit over an RTR any better then you just did.

Assuming you want a kit you can't go wrong with the kyosho MP777 (the normal one), the SP1 or SP2, XRay XB8tq, Mugen prospec, Cen Matrix (it comes in RTR but the servos and engine should be replaced... i know they have a kit coming out), or the Ofna hyper 7 TQ kit. Most of those are the high dollar buggies but the matrix and hyper 7 are cheaper without lacking on quality. They are all the best buggies on the market and you'll be happy no matter what one you buy. Personally I think the matrix is the best value... one of the best build buggies I've ever seen and it handles great.... has tons of steering but the rear end doesn't break loose to easily letting you drive aggressive without sliding around.

Edit: If you don't mind waiting Losi will have an 1/8 buggy coming out mid to late summer. Losi is the most innovative racing manufacture on there is and they will not release a buggy unless they know it can be world champion. Just need to wait a long time and see how it is when it does come out.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:13 PM

Don't forget about the Mayhem RTR or pro! The RTR comes with a great .26 with a famous carb & 3 inserts plus a awesome radio you will not want to replace.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:45 PM

Im still new to this so im not sure i want to tackle a kit just yet think i want a rtr.If i went with as kit i would have no idea what engine or any other parts to get along with the kit.Im still learning.LOL
Old 02-22-2006, 11:12 PM

The Matrix RTR... around $450.. but you get a Airtronics MX3 FM radio. IT is one of the best RTR buggy out here.. a true performer
Old 02-22-2006, 11:54 PM

ORIGINAL: LSTCrAzY

Don't forget about the Mayhem RTR or pro! The RTR comes with a great .26 with a famous carb & 3 inserts plus a awesome radio you will not want to replace.
The mayhem has great electronics and radio but an o.k. chassis. The matrix has a great chassis but an o.k. engine and radio. I'd rather have the chassis and upgrade the engine and radio later.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:47 AM
My Feedback: (33)

ORIGINAL: Super_Dave

ORIGINAL: LSTCrAzY

The mayhem has great electronics and radio but an o.k. chassis. The matrix has a great chassis but an o.k. engine and radio. I'd rather have the chassis and upgrade the engine and radio later.
The Mayhem RTR has a weak chassis , shock towers and dogbones. The pro has thicker shock towers , thicker chassis , and cvds.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:10 PM

This seems to be quite a silly question as MANY people have MANY different views about MANY different manufactures and MANY vehicles.

The longer you wait the more variety you will see.

This site has a good review section and the CEN Matrix got a very good review, but I would personally recommend the hotbodies lightning 2 RTR had mine for over a year and it has never let me down (other than my own stupid mistakes of course), it is fast, tough, good looking and is of good build quality.

Just another person with a view, make and model to confuse you a little more.

If I was you I would save another 50 to make sure you get the best buggy you can as ou do get what you pay for.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:47 PM

Does anyone know anything about Bazooka??Are they new or i just heard of them not to long ago and am wondering if they are good or what??
Old 02-23-2006, 08:49 PM

Does anyone know anything about Bazooka??Are they new or i just heard of them not to long ago and am wondering if they are good or what??
Old 02-23-2006, 09:06 PM

Get the Jammin X1 RTR from towerhobbies for $440 using the coupon on the homepage, and you get free shipping!
Old 02-23-2006, 10:37 PM

I run an Ofna MBX. It has been a good strong buggy for the money.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:18 AM

ORIGINAL: jdsmouse

Bazooka is made by Smartech... just stay away from it as far as you can.. very simple
Old 02-24-2006, 08:58 PM

ORIGINAL: jdsmouse

Stay away from them. Its only a copy from one of the high end buggies and they only want to get into the 1/8 buggy rage for the money. They are nothing but crap in every way you can think of. The only quality brands for 1/8 buggies are Kyosho, Mugen, XRay, Ofna, Cen, sportwerks, hot boddies, and Losi will be in there soon. If I missed any please add them.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:24 PM

hotboddies is in there thats all you need, lightning 2 had mine for over a year with no major problems.
I use it for bashing and its taken everything so far. ab fab buggy only problem out of the box was the engine backplate not tight enough it was easily sorted.

lightning 3 doesnt look as tough