Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

*Official Sportwerks Turmoil Thread*

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

*Official Sportwerks Turmoil Thread*

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 05:30 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *Official Sportwerks Turmoil Thread*

Yeah buddy. The 8ight is an awesome buggy, and for only a bit more than the turmoil rtr, you can get the 8ight rtr, and the 8ight rtr is a better buggy overall for the price
Old 12-15-2006, 07:28 PM
Jake07

so .26 engines are not even legal for racing? wats the point of a 1/8th buggy with .28 motor then because when most people get buggys they race em. but any how thanks for advice fellas.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:44 PM
MBX5T Maniac

Because those rtr buggies are targeted more towards bashers, and non-racers who like fast speeds
Old 12-17-2006, 01:42 AM
Werk-It

Well, I just got back from the track after racing my turmoil!

New tires helped a bit, but the buggy still wasn't as aggressive in the corners as I'd like. I still haven't made any adjustments to the suspension yet, so I'll work on getting it dialed in next time.

I had a couple issues that caused me to miss the first heat.. First the throttle servo went out on me.. Then I noticed that the steering was binding a bit.. Luckily I was able to swap in a new servo and ease the binding with a simple droop adjustment to the front arms. I barely made any carb adjustment, so there's still plenty of power to pull out of the still rich motor which will help some. For the most part though I think the buggy did pretty well for something being raced right out of the box.

Overall I think I did pretty well for my second time at this track, and my first time ever racing in an event! Out of 8 people I qualified 4th, and ended up finishing 5th in the main. Not too shabby I guess, although I got frazzled a couple times and had a couple wrecks in quick succession that really slowed me down. One thing that threw me off a bit was the intensity of a couple of the drivers there. From what I was told 2 of them were factory LOSI drivers, and they were pulling some pretty fast laps! On average a good 3 seconds faster than mine. Of course, they ended up running 1st and 2nd, with the rest of the field a good bit behind them.

Either way I had a blast and besides the minor issues the buggy held up really well! Can't wait till next weekend to do it again!
Old 12-17-2006, 07:59 AM
synergisticity

Yo Dudes,
Really love my new Turmoil. Starts easily, hooks up like there's no tomorrow, and jumps like a Kanga. One question, though: It seems I'm getting a bit more rear-wheel drive than front. Should this be the case, or should I do something to even it out or get more front wheel drive?

Thanks,

SML
Old 12-18-2006, 01:01 PM
dralion

Hello,

I, too, enjoy my turmoil. I believe I found an amazing price on one ($399). I found one marked at a hobby store and asked them to reserve it. I couldn't find a matching price on-line so I purchased it. Has anyone else found a turmoil for this price? The turmoil is my first nitro rc (and my first real rc). I have enjoyed taking it apart and re-building. I could use some advice from some veterans of this hobby though.

1) The front left turn rod which attaches to the wheel over a 6.8mm ball stud keeps popping off during high traction turns over rough surfaces. I understand this may be part of the game and could be my driving style (or lack thereof) I plan to replace the plastic rod and the ball stud. Is there another remedy that may inhibit this from happening? Perhaps putting teflon tape on the ball stud to occupy a bit more space but not increase friction? (I don't mind the constant maintenance, it is enjoyable for me - but I do like to upgrade and create a better end result).

2) I have a set of "road" tires and knobbies for dirt and such. However I've found the knobbies have too much grip in the grass, such that the buggy flips at any speed when trying to turn. Any advice on 'grass' style tires that may allow a bit of slip? I have read that tires are the best investment so I'm ready for suggestions.

3) Any recommendations on upgrades? I have considered a vented fly-wheel to increase cooling capacity near the engine block. How good of braking can I expect out of tweaking the 2 disc brake system (probably depends on the servo)? Or should I upgrade to the 4 brake system? What about a 14 or 15 tooth clutchbell when running on-road (my road tires are slightly smaller than the knobbies)? Is changing the clutchbell the easiest way to keep the final drive the same if I put on slightly smaller tires? If so, are the ti-nitride clutch bells better or just fancier? Aluminum clutch shoes or stick with the stock style? (I'll wait until my current ones wear out, but I like to order in advance). Metal diff casings? or a waste of time?

Many questions, thanks in advance for the advice and support.

Kevin
Old 12-18-2006, 03:06 PM
crazytank7

I get my Turmoil next week i can not wait!! lets post up some pic's for everyone to see.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:04 PM
synergisticity

Hey There Y'all,
My brother got the $400 deal which is why he bought me one. When I asked the hobby shop a week later, I was told Horizon Hobby offered a limited deal for the RTR but that it was over. He did say, however, that the PRO ARR was on a similar deal ($430).

Now, how about them tires? Also, what other bodies fit this thing?!

SML
Old 12-18-2006, 04:52 PM
livthemoment

ORIGINAL: Fighter Pilot

Your right, I was just trying to say the Turmoil is SaWeet and has the same appearance as parts on overpriced…I mean more expensive buggies.
1st the Xray XB8 is the most adjustable buggy on the market. 2nd it is the highest quality buggy on the market. 3rd the spares for it are inexpensive. The turmoil does not have as many roll center, kickup, caster, anti-squat, shock position adjustments as the XB8. All those adjustments make a difference when trying to go fast.
With that said: It is a great RTR that I would recommend to anyone who wants a quality, durable RTR.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:58 AM
synergisticity

Merry Christmas All!
K, still working on tire choice! Forgive me, but I'm about to buy a house so I cannot waste any money!!

Looking at Crime Fighters, Bowties, Mugshot, Moab. I mostly bash, so longevity is important. We usually run in fairly hard pack with a light top layer. Of course, sometimes that top layer is moist. Which one? I think I'm leaning towards Mugshot XTR (harder compound).

Thanks,

SML

PS Because there are 6 of us with Turmoils, body color is important. Since I'm not a very patient person, I don't paint well. That being said, I might try one of the Himoto bodies on eBay which are made for the Inferno (MP777) which supposedly should fit the Turmoil. I'll let y'all know.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Werk-It

Damn, hate to do it but I have to post something negative about this buggy..

Raced it again this weekend. Been racing it pretty much every weekend since I got it with marginal results. I'm still pretty newbish tho, so I'm not going out there expecting to win.. Had several minor parts issues. Motor mount loosened on me and stripped the bell. Slapped a new bell and clutches in there then the bearings went out. Minor stuff. Also I've broke another upper arm which is getting annoying....

However this weekend was awesome! I finally got the suspension dialed. Bites hard in the corners now and I really gotta watch my entry as she'll traction roll hard on me. Motor is just killer. Way more power than I need and running low 220's temp wise.

So I'm at the track all day prepping for the race. Got there at 10:30, races start at 5:00. I'm feeling greaaat, buggy is right where I want it. Just some minor motor tweaking is all I did for the day besides putting in some new shock oil. So 5:00 comes around and it's time to qualify! First heat out of a field of 8 buggies I qualify 3rd!!!! That's 3rd behind 1 pro driver and and really good old guy that's been helping me out!! Awesome!! Second heat comes around and I'm feeling great, I think I ran the whole heat without my buggie being flipped on it's lid! I missed the results, so I had to wait for the printouts after all the other classes ran..

To my absolute amazement I qualified 2nd! Yes that's second place out of a field of 8, with a pro driver and several other good drivers! So now I'm just pumped for the main, knowing that if anything goes wrong for the pro I could very well win the damn thing!

Now here's where the negative thing comes in..

It's time for the A-main and the buggie start making there way out to the track. I'm taking a warmup lap when I hit a mid-sized double and land fine on the other end. To my horror I round the corner and see my right front wheel wobbling around! Somehow the lower arm had broken!! I raced to swap it out and get back on the track but it was pointless, there was only 5 minutes left of racing.. So knowing I was already gonna be last place I opted to stay off the track and out of peoples way..

Really disappointing... and to add insult to injury, I got the buggy on the track during a 5 minute break and was really racing it hard.. Coming down the str8 full boar what happens?? I hit a god dang monster truck head on at nearly full speed!!! Somehow dude hit a jump wrong and jumped into the straightaway going the wrong way!! oddly enough I didn't break anything!!! I don't get this buggy!!! It gets wrecked hard and nothing breaks, but I land a double with it and it breaks the lower arm??? Only damage I recieved was a bent shock shaft and shock body(yes it hit so hard it bent the hardened shock body), everything else is fine! However, the monster truck was wrecked good and could not race in his main which was up next...

SO anyways, there's my rant about this buggy. It's awesome but it's got me puzzled and agititated.. I won't be able to race this coming weekend so I'm stripping it and boiling every last plastic part on it save the reciever box!!!
Old 01-07-2007, 11:11 PM
fasprop

[link]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150076897841&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:11[/link]

Just got it on ebay based on my reading here and looking around I think I have a killer machine to do some bashing. I have lots of gas stuff like the fg and baja... this will be my first nitro though.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:27 PM
MBX5T Maniac

Neilly, to get more steering, move the turnbuckles mount on the ackerman rack to the back position. You'll get even more steering!
Old 01-07-2007, 11:54 PM
Werk-It

Updated damage assessment...

No plastic parts damage(how the heck??), but I just noticed that the front diff driveshaft is bent really bad, and it appears the torque rod is slightly tweaked!! [:@][X(][:@] Now I'm pretty mad, that some bonehead unable to control his truck is gonna easily cost me $60 bucks or so..

I also worry that if the drive is this far outa shape, that the chassis surely had to had flexed something fierce and that it's tweaked as well... And there's also more damage I haven't noticed yet..
Old 01-08-2007, 12:31 AM
MBX5T Maniac

Nah. A hammer to fix the driveshaft, get the pro version torque rod, it's better.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:44 AM
Werk-It

Nah? You think I'd be good to go by just straightening out the driveshaft? It's pretty jacked!!(see image) I'll give it a try and see how straight I can get it. I've already had a heck of a time with screws and such wiggling loose. I'd hate to introduce even more vibration!

Torque rod looks like it might have made it out ok. Looked like it might have been slightly tweaked with the mount attached, but atfer pulling it off and rolling the rod on my counter top it looks to still be straight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17615.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	593472  
Old 01-08-2007, 08:47 PM
fasprop

What glow plugs should I purchase for the stock motor... also anything else I might want to throw in the tool box? I have to purchase a battery for the starter and I'm not sure what else. Like I had said before I have lots of gas rc stuff but this is the first nitro...

Thanks
Old 01-09-2007, 01:08 AM
MBX5T Maniac

That's not too bad. I've bent the front ones in half, and then I went a new one. But that center one doesn't get that much stress compared to the CVD's.

And with torque rods, make no mistakes with them. They determine your chassis' flex. If they got damaged, replace them.
And you see on that blue ackerman steering link, how you have the turnbuckle screwed into the middle hole? Put it in the back one, the one closest to the servo saver. This will give even sharper steering. Always nice to have that.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Werk-It

Crazy. I don't see how a shaft can bend that much? The chassis surely doesn't flex enough to do that sort of damage, even in a crash as severe as this, is it the sudden abrupt stop that twists the shaft into bending?

Also, found some more damage that I'm not sure what to think of... Spinning the left front tire there's a bit of "grittiness" to the motion. All three other wheels spin freely and smooth, it's just the one that seems to have an issue.. It's always at the same spot in the rotation. It'll turn smooth until it gets to that point but when it does there's a bit of a hitch there where it kinda locks for a second. Doesn't appear to be stripped, but something it definitely up. Also when it gets to that spot I can rotate the tire back and forth for atleast an 1/8th of a rotation. Whereas all the other wheels lockup well under 1/16th of a rotation.

I'm guessing it's the output shaft of the diff on that side? It's on the same side as the bent shock so I'm sure this is related to the crash. Rebuild the diff or just replace the output? Ever seen anything like this?

Thanks for any info. Can't wait to get back out there and race!!
Old 01-09-2007, 10:09 PM
MBX5T Maniac

it may be the bearing has been ruined. It may also be the output shaft is ruined
Old 01-09-2007, 11:14 PM
Rockman

One of the previous posts asked how to get more wheel spin in the front. Try lighter center diff oil.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:25 PM
synergisticity

Hey Dudes,
Do you folks keep your pressure line going through the fuel filter, or do you put the fuel line through the fuel filter and run the pressure line direct? Or both?

Thanks,

SML
Old 01-10-2007, 09:48 PM
Werk-It

I run a filter on both.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:26 AM
djhobby

Hey guys does the turmoil drive better than the mayhem? Can you tell the difference in handling? I was track champion at the local track with my mayhem. I just bought the turmoil and put graphite plates in there. I still have my mayhem but my 9 year old is racing it now. He finished 3 out of 15 people in a 30 min. A main. Let me know if it better or not. If theres not a difference I'll sell it and try something different. Thanks for you help.[8D]
Old 01-13-2007, 02:14 AM
MBX5T Maniac

Well it has a new chassis which moves the CG forward, as well as a one-piece engine mount, which lowers the CG as well. And the steering characteristics can be altered with the ackerman. But all the turmoil is a updated/upgraded Mayhem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.