Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Can you put wider tires on a Mayhem buggy?

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Can you put wider tires on a Mayhem buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 02:40 AM
acura301997

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you put wider tires on a Mayhem buggy?

I have a Mayhen by Sportwerks and the tires seem so thin. I use Proline (Road Rage) street tires and I can burn through a set pretty quickly. At about $80 for new rims and tires this is getting very expensive! What are the options (if any) of putting wider street tires on this car? Any info on how to purchase these tires would be much apreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-02-2006, 11:08 AM
acura301997

Default RE: Can you put wider tires on a Mayhem buggy?

Anyone know?
Old 05-02-2006, 11:10 AM
RC RAC3R

1/8 buggy tires are all basically generic... there the same size... you could try buying ofna MT wheels with the 17mm hex and put road rubber on them... then you have MT tires on your buggy...

1/8 is more fun offroad..
Old 05-02-2006, 06:11 PM
Dawman
My Feedback: (33)

If you are just running on road buy some slicks , they will last longer than the Road Rage tires . Why didn`t you just buy an onroad car instead of an offroad buggy and running onroad ?
Old 05-02-2006, 10:07 PM
acura301997

Well I like the Mayhem over most on-road cars because of it's durability. I have had it cart wheeling end over end at full speed down many parking lots and have never broken a thing on it. I will probably buy a road car soon but most of my friends have 1/8's and truggies. What are these slicks that some have mentioned? The only tire out there out there that I have found that is for on road use is the Proline Road Rages. Does anyone know of any companies or web sites where I could buy these "slicks"? Thanks
Old 05-03-2006, 08:07 AM
Dawman

Ofna does ; http://www.ofna.com/tires-onroad.html
Old 05-03-2006, 08:13 AM
Guildgtar

if my ofna buggy has the hex screw can i put monster truck tires on them? and with my .28 motor do alright i have the ravager?
Old 05-03-2006, 08:27 AM
Dawman

ORIGINAL: Guildgtar

if my ofna buggy has the hex screw can i put monster truck tires on them? and with my .28 motor do alright i have the ravager?
Yes you can , actually ofna has a set of offset rims to put truck tires on that will fit on a buggy . But you better change your gearing if you do .
Old 05-03-2006, 05:55 PM
Guildgtar

u mean as in a 2 speed how would i change my gearing?
Old 05-03-2006, 06:00 PM
David D

Drop a tooth on the spur gear for more torque so the engine won't be straining.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:21 PM
kx250ryder

ORIGINAL: Guildgtar

u mean as in a 2 speed how would i change my gearing?
To really understand what you are wanting to do, a couple things:

- To achieve a higher top speed (and slower acceleration), you install "taller" gearing, in other words, the car moves further for each turn of the engine. Taller gearing means bigger clutch bell, and/or smaller spur gear. Taller gearing puts more load on the engine.

- To achieve faster acceleration (and less top speed), you install "shorter" gearing, in other words, the car moves less for each turn of the engine. Shorter gearing means smaller clutch bell, and/or larger spur gear. Shorter gearing puts less load on the engine.

By adding monster truck tires to your car you are doing two things. One, you are making the engine work harder, because it has to try to spin heavy monster truck tires. So, to take some of the load off the engine you need to run "shorter" gearing. Second, you are running tires that have a much longer roll out. Roll out is the distance that a tire goes in one rotation. That means that each time a monster truck tire rolls one time around, it has gone further than if a buggy tire had rolled just one time around. This effectively makes you have taller gearing and puts more load on the motor. So once again, you have to run "shorter" gearing to compensate.

So basically, you need to run the shortest possible gearing you can find, to make up for running truck tires. Try and find the biggest possible spur gear you can jam into your car, and the smallest clutch bell as well. Even then, most cars don't have gearing available to them that will reduce it enough to run truck tires properly.

One advantage you have is that Sportwerks has the Mayhem ST. You may be able to get some of the gears from that kit to help out with your project. The gearing used in the transmission cases may swap over (consult your hobby shop or Horizon Hobby). If that is the case, those gears will help shorten things up so that you can run a more normal spur gear/clutch bell setup.

Old 05-04-2006, 10:10 PM
acura301997

I looked at the OFNA site, how do you see prices on stuff?
Old 05-04-2006, 10:36 PM
Dawman

You don`t , try towerhobbies.com , nitrohouse.com , horizonhobby.com , plus others . Ofna doesn`t have prices on their site since they don`t sell from that site .
Old 05-04-2006, 11:54 PM
acura301997

So what are the advantages of foam vs slicks?
Old 05-05-2006, 08:08 AM
Dawman

For foams you need a very clean area and can get better traction . But one little pebble will destroy foams . Just stick with rubber for an 1/8 scale , you will have plenty of traction .