Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
 High Capacity Radio Box Install for OFNA 9.5/Violator/Ravager [I did it] >

High Capacity Radio Box Install for OFNA 9.5/Violator/Ravager [I did it]

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

High Capacity Radio Box Install for OFNA 9.5/Violator/Ravager [I did it]

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Capacity Radio Box Install for OFNA 9.5/Violator/Ravager [I did it]

I own an OFNA 9.5 Pro and I have a 5 cell 2650 mAh AA receiver pack that I custom built (not a smaller 5 cell 2/3A 1400-1600mAh pack like most cars have). My original setup left that zip tied to the flat pack holder, since it was way too big to fit in the radio box. It wasn't pretty, and I wasn't really sure how well it would stay in place. Not to mention that it is heavy, and the old configuration placed that weight a way from center, out towards the right side of the vehicle. I heard that Jammin had just released a revised lid for their battery box on the X1 buggy that would allow the larger packs to fit.

So I set out to modify my buggy to use the Jammin radio box. After an order to Nitrohouse, and two days waiting for shipping, I got to work. The radio box lined up with only one of the chassis holes. Two others I drilled holes (into box, not chassis), which didn't interfere with battery position. The fourth chassis hole lines up with the elevated portion of the radio box where the receiver sits, so I didn't put a screw through to there. Also, the two points where the radio tray bolts to the box didn't line up, but there was enough room for me to drill a hole into the box so that I could use one of the radio tray mount holes. So in all, there are two less screws than before in use. The box seems solidly held in place though.

I don't think you could counter sink the chassis for holes to match the radio box because the alignment of the holes in some cases would be too close to other existing holes in the chassis, like the mount point for the rear chassis brace. It would create a weak spot in my opinion.

Total of 3 holes drilled, and about two hours of work. I am not the best at fabricating, so I am sure many of you could finish it faster. Most of it was trying to stuff my JR RS300 receiver, the battery, and all the wiring into the box. Apparently, this Jammin box was designed to give you absolutely no extra space, or maybe my receiver is just the biggest clunkiest unit available, I don't know.

*Warning* Images below show a car that is dirty, please do not flame. I didn't have time to clean it before I started, and was in a rush the last time I put it away. Usually it is not this crusty.

First the old, note the flexed battery holder:

Now the new:

This one shows that there are no screws protruding into the space where the battery goes. It is about 1cm back of the battery position. It is close, but I think it will be ok. If not and I start to see signs of wear on the shrink wrap, I will saw them down, and add nuts to them to remove the sharp edges.

Here is the bottom of the chassis, you can see that one of the mounting holes is now unused:

EDIT: Since I don't want to take it back off to show the holes I drilled, I made this paint sketch to give you an idea
Old 08-24-2006, 05:00 PM

Default RE: High Capacity Radio Box Install for OFNA 9.5/Violator/Ravager [I did it]

wow......... what do you put your car through.........try racing and you will never do bashing again
Old 08-24-2006, 05:50 PM

Default RE: High Capacity Radio Box Install for OFNA 9.5/Violator/Ravager [I did it]

i think he is a racer. the radio box looks good.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:11 PM

Thanks, I was pleased with how it turned out.

I am in the gray area probably closer to basher. I mostly race, but its me and two other people, on a track in a backyard. Occaisionally, I will take the buggy out to the desert to bash it, and it goes with me on trips to the sand dunes in the fall/winter/spring. The majority of the scratches and wear on the plastic components was there when I bought the buggy. I don't know what the original owner did to it to make it look so beat up. The scratches on the bottom of the chassis are because I live near a mountain range, and the soil is rocky, especially when bashing in the desert.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:47 AM

The rs310 is considerably samller and will fit better for you than the rs300. It retails $10 more usually. If I can get mine out tonight I'll get some side by side pics. They are identical function-wise.