Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Which RTR Nitro Buggy is best for less than $230?

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Which RTR Nitro Buggy is best for less than $230?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 03:14 AM
tndiverdown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which RTR Nitro Buggy is best for less than $230?

Hi. I'm looking at either getting a Duratrax Maximum BX or a Kyosho GP Ultima RB Sports. The Duratrax is $229 and the Kyosho is $219. Which is better based on owner experience? Thanks!

Duratrax

or

Kyosho

I can't decide
Old 01-11-2003, 04:36 AM
kyokai2

Default Which buggy?

Havent owned either but I can vouch for the performance and quality of the KYOSHO. With all the racing that they have been involved in and the research and development they do they are hard to beat thats why I own the KANAI 2 1/8 buggy (WORLD CHAMPION). Duratraxx arent known at all for quality, go for the KYOSHO!!!
Old 01-11-2003, 06:13 PM
snoopster

Hey!!!

A kyosho Ultima RB was my first car and so I punished it severly (not being very knowledgeable at the time) but it held up to the torture surprisingly well!!!

That engine is a tough one to break!!!

It hasnt got the best performance in the world and the turning circle could be better but for innocent fun it is great!!!

And at that price, well, cant be beaten. I have had a good experience with mine and feel it can stand up to a beating.

Afraid I dont know about the duratex.

O yeah, if your area sells them get a CEN fun factor!!!!!!
I've been amazed with mine!!
Old 01-11-2003, 06:15 PM
snoopster

Hey!!!
What has the duratex got to offer???? e.g.engine size, 4wd, e.t.c.????
I would ask you're local model shop.
Old 01-11-2003, 09:04 PM
CaliGy

I'd go for the Kyosho...only cause I've heard nothing but bad about DuraTrax in general. Kyokai2's right about Kyosho quality...they're known for their buggies (well...1/8 scale buggies, but I'm sure their 1/10 are good too).
Old 01-12-2003, 12:32 AM
tndiverdown

Looks like I will get the Kyosho when I am ready. Thanks for the advice all.
Old 01-12-2003, 11:13 PM
jonathanevans

Default I've got a few specific ?'s about these 2...

I'm also deciding between them but have some specifics...

- Are the ball bearing options worth it? Duratrax has (8) while Kyosho has (22). Wow, what's rotating in that Kyosho that isn't in the Duratrax?

- Upgrades! Which has more options for upgrades in the future? Looks like the Maximum has a 'pro' version that has a lot of goodies. Can you add these later? Anything like that for Ultima?

- How do the radios compare? Duratrax comes with a Futuba (good right?) and teh Kyosho doesn't really say. Hmmm....

- Can you adjust the ride heights on these two? Are different wheels available?

-Should I just suck it up and get an Inferno TR-15?

Thanks!

Jonathan
Old 01-13-2003, 01:32 AM
jonathanevans

http://www.kyosho.com/cars/kyoc0220.html

I've found some more info about hop-ups for the Ultima. There's a Type R truck that looks like has some different setups, as well as teh optional parts on the list above for the Ultima GP RB.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:54 PM
snoopster

Hey!!!

On a good note, the I was very impressed with the ball bearings in the car. You push it and it keeps rolling!!!!!

On the down side, the main reson I got rid of my kyosho Ultima RB was becasue I felt it was time for an upgrade and so was dissapointed when i went in to my model shop, searched the web and found there was nothing much more I could do to it!!!

The kyosho Ultima RB is a good car, it s just.......well...... there are better cars out there!!!

I still reckon you should get a CEN fun factor!!!! mmmm
Old 01-13-2003, 09:00 PM
snoopster

Hey!!!

p.s. The radio with the Kyosho is a stick one and is quite good.
Nothing special but does the job.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:30 PM
rodf911

snoopster, or anyone else who knows,

Regarding the Kyosho buggy...

As far as the steering of this buggy, one side steers a lot more than the other, particularly, the side where the engine sits (I think left). All steering adjustments are balanced. Have you figured out how to solve this? It seems to be a weight issue, one side of the buggy is much heavier than the other.

As far as the stock engine. It is a good beginner engine. Starts easily and lasts a long time.

I mounted a stronger engine and it flies and jumps well. I also mounted an exhaust manifold and tuned pipe to it which adds to the performance increase. The rear tire touches the manifold a bit when it expands, but not a big deal.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:02 AM
phuzaxeman

Default RE: Which RTR Nitro Buggy is best for less than $230?

The parts for the Ultima RB can be upgraded with most parts for the type r gp st truck. The ST truck has a proven record in competition.

Check out the Ultima forum: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Kyos...1351538/tm.htm
Old 12-19-2003, 06:47 PM
TheQuakeKing
My Feedback: (23)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Save another $20 and get an evader bx! i had the maximum and sucked. I mean really sucked. The evader is an rc10gt w/ a .18 that hauls ass! easy to break in, lots of hop ups (p.s. max bx has almost no bearings, and no ball diff!). Trust me on this one, you won't be dissapointed! Lemme know if you want more info!
Old 09-19-2005, 11:35 PM
Super_Dave

Default RE: I've got a few specific ?'s about these 2...

ORIGINAL: jonathanevans
- Are the ball bearing options worth it? Duratrax has (8) while Kyosho has (22). Wow, what's rotating in that Kyosho that isn't in the Duratrax?
2 for each wheel in the hubs (8 total), 4 in front a rear diffs (2 on pinion gear one on each output from the diff(8 total), 2 in center diff, 2 in clutchbell, 2 in the steering linkage. All together 22 ball bearings in the kyosho.

Bushings like what duratrax uses are useless they have a lot of friction, wear into whatevers rotating in them as well as wearing out themselves making everything just unbelivably sloppy and need frequent replacement.

Get the kyosho.

Manucatures you should stay away from:
Duratrax, Cen (same quality as duratrax ony the stock radios are even worse... 50% chance you'll lose signal and the car will go out of control), and smartech. Theres a lot more but if you were going to chose from any of them go with duratrax... they are the least crappy of all.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:42 PM
Super_Dave

ORIGINAL: rodf911
As far as the steering of this buggy, one side steers a lot more than the other, particularly, the side where the engine sits (I think left). All steering adjustments are balanced. Have you figured out how to solve this? It seems to be a weight issue, one side of the buggy is much heavier than the other.
It the steering servo it has nothing to do with weight. The servo isn't giving as much throw in that direction as it is the other direction. Could be the transmitter but if the servo horn isn't centered it could do that too. To center the servo horn take it off and set the trim to neutral on your transmitter. Then put the wheels straight and put the servo horn back on as straight as it will fit.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:59 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

i think this thread is kinda dead. just a thought
Old 09-20-2005, 02:28 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My god, rustler got something right for once and made a useful post!!

This thread has been resurrected from 2003 for some reason...nice one Little Stampy!
Old 09-20-2005, 06:00 AM
Engrose

ORIGINAL: mayhem maniac

i think this thread is kinda dead. just a thought
First you got a buggy - and then you start making good posts[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

Little Stampy - why?