Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Losi 8ight Group... If ya got it lets hear about it!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Losi 8ight Group... If ya got it lets hear about it!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 01:01 AM
KyJoe340

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: When will we see the Losi 8ight???

ORIGINAL: tonytiger

ORIGINAL: ixsna

We just got a pair of 8ight rtr and this is what we encountered within a quarter gallon on each of them. First both throttle servos went out, second the end of exhaust hanger by fuel tank pulls out of the retainer and pokes holes in the fuel line, third the motor mount to block screws were not thread locked at all however everything else seems to be thread locked down good. There is no doubt about it the throttle servo is to close to the bottom of the chassis.... we are gonna try an experiment were gonna suspend the servo with the supplied rubber grommets supplied with the dx2 first then in addidtion we have the king headz chassis stiffener on order. I am gonna run the shallack out of mine without the king headz first so well see what gives. Does anybody out there notice if their rtr has the fuel line retainer clips on the fuel line anywhere these 2 do not have it at all. The fuel line just kind of lays on the hot pipe before it goes it to the carb. Other than that we love these 2 buggies even though we never had any other buggies to judge this against.

im not real familiar with the rtr version but im guessing it comes with a spectrum radio...if so did you guys set up the fail safes to apply full brake ....if so it is possible you turned off the transmitter but not the car and after a few minutes the servo just cooked from applying the brakes under constant load.....if this is it set up the failsafe to nuetral ...no need to lock it up if you loose signal
I'm running the other 8ight that had the throttle servo failure along with ixsna's. We always turn off the car receiver first before the radio. The servo definetely did not cook because of the failsafe brake setting. I'm going with the rubber bushings and brass inserts supplied with JR's servos. Also I'm using them with both throttle and steering servos. This should fix the problem because it raises the servo off the chassis and protects it from some of the vibrations. I think this is an awesome buggy and this should be a simple fix.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:10 AM
Super_Dave

ORIGINAL: KyJoe340

We just got a pair of 8ight rtr and this is what we encountered within a quarter gallon on each of them. First both throttle servos went out, second the end of exhaust hanger by fuel tank pulls out of the retainer and pokes holes in the fuel line, third the motor mount to block screws were not thread locked at all however everything else seems to be thread locked down good. There is no doubt about it the throttle servo is to close to the bottom of the chassis.... we are gonna try an experiment were gonna suspend the servo with the supplied rubber grommets supplied with the dx2 first then in addidtion we have the king headz chassis stiffener on order. I am gonna run the shallack out of mine without the king headz first so well see what gives. Does anybody out there notice if their rtr has the fuel line retainer clips on the fuel line anywhere these 2 do not have it at all. The fuel line just kind of lays on the hot pipe before it goes it to the carb. Other than that we love these 2 buggies even though we never had any other buggies to judge this against.

im not real familiar with the rtr version but im guessing it comes with a spectrum radio...if so did you guys set up the fail safes to apply full brake ....if so it is possible you turned off the transmitter but not the car and after a few minutes the servo just cooked from applying the brakes under constant load.....if this is it set up the failsafe to nuetral ...no need to lock it up if you loose signal
I'm running the other 8ight that had the throttle servo failure along with ixsna's. We always turn off the car receiver first before the radio. The servo definetely did not cook because of the failsafe brake setting. I'm going with the rubber bushings and brass inserts supplied with JR's servos. Also I'm using them with both throttle and steering servos. This should fix the problem because it raises the servo off the chassis and protects it from some of the vibrations. I think this is an awesome buggy and this should be a simple fix.
You can't use the brass inserts because they are to small for mounting screws. Just put a washer on the screw so the screw head doesn't just sink into the rubber bushing.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:45 PM
THEJATOMAN

Default RE: Losi 8ight Group... If ya got it lets hear about it!!!

are these the rubber thingys everyone's using to save there servos? and if so can you post a pic so i can see your install.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:11 PM
Super_Dave

Yes, those are the bushings we are talking about. I don't have a cam to take any pictures right now but they pop into where the screws go in the servo. Then just put the screw through the rubber bushing and tighten down till its a bit snug.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:56 PM
D.A.M.

Ready to buy an engine for my 8ight, since I only have $200 to spend, I was looking at lower end .28's instead of a lower end .21 (thinking that a lower end .28 will give me about the same power as higher end .21) - Most of my racing will be at a fairly small and tight track. Any opinions on the Wasp. 28 or the Mach .28, I already have a Jammin JP-3 pipe.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:09 PM
sonic27

quote]ORIGINAL: D.A.M.

Ready to buy an engine for my 8ight, since I only have $200 to spend, I was looking at lower end .28's instead of a lower end .21 (thinking that a lower end .28 will give me about the same power as higher end .21) - Most of my racing will be at a fairly small and tight track. Any opinions on the Wasp. 28 or the Mach .28, I already have a Jammin JP-3 pipe.
[/quote]

Since you're going to be racing you might want to give the novarossi n21bf a try. Plenty of power. Everyone seems to be talking about the go 5 port also.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:16 PM
claudacio
My Feedback: (9)

I would highly recommend not going with a .28, for one they arent race legal at most tracks, some may let you get away with it. But there are plenty of good .21's out there for right around $200. Buggys for the most part are running it the upper RPM range, you would have to gear really high to keep with the highend .21's out there with a .28.

Heres a few links to some decent .21's that you could hang with anything with.

AXE rossi mamba
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/10094

OS .21 VG
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/9018

Hott mod Os .21 VG
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/10260

Rex R21BF
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/9124

Dynamite platinum .21
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/8880

I dont have any links off hand to the SH line of .21's but they are also decent engines and will hang with most decent .21's. You dont need .28 power in a buggy period, for one most of them arent going to make the topend most .21's will not to mention you are going to be pitting ALOT. I would really suggest thinking that decision over before doing it. You can find Vspecs for $250, and they are some killer engines.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:44 PM
D.A.M.

Thanks for the input, I will stick to a .21
Old 01-01-2007, 08:18 PM
claudacio

Heres a Vspec foe $234

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-New-OS-Engin...em180069459643

I hate to buy from the hong kong dealers as it cuts out our people, but if I was in your position and wanted to get the most engine for my money, I'd think about it.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:21 PM
vikingen

my 8ight currently...

the bottom of the shocks are leaking really badly.. and it just sits on the shelf.. it has had 1hr of use at most []

I think I need to rebuild and coat the o-rings in grease.. losi website mentioned it as did someone earlier in this thread
Old 01-01-2007, 08:46 PM
Losi8racer

you can get o-rings for the bottom that are a tad thicker and smaller , you can get rid of the dust boot all together.. i have ran 5 races on them now and they are not even slightly leaking....

another engine wich is great for just under the $220 mark is the STS .21 either the D21B or the D21T , both are identical except the T has a turbo plug and the crank/sleeve have been modified...

http://www.racernine.com/

i'm on the 4th D21T , this is the first T in the 8ight and i'm now even more impressed with the engine then i was when i had it in the jammin...it will keep up with anything you put against it... i can make triples on the track that i couldn't even make with the RB WS7III , it has an amazing bottom end and a screaming top end...

break-in is however a major pain...if you don't own a decent heat gun , you may aswell hang it in the tree unless it's 80+ degrees out side...i had to heat it to 175 before it would even turn on my ofna chrome top... as soon as the temp fell below 155 it would just lock the piston at the top...
Old 01-01-2007, 09:37 PM
ofna2005

hey guys ,
must admit the 8 is a good car . first of all thanks super dave for those ideas car felt a lot better . the back felt planted . three runs and servos are still good so far so good . only issue i find my self is the shock piston and screw came apart from shock shaft in the middle of a good race . now we need parts, any suggestions a fix for that problem ? outside of that the car is great handles the ruff stuff good and jumps so easy . thanks again guys keep the advice coming .
Old 01-01-2007, 09:58 PM
KyJoe340

ORIGINAL: Super_Dave

ORIGINAL: KyJoe340

You can't use the brass inserts because they are to small for mounting screws. Just put a washer on the screw so the screw head doesn't just sink into the rubber bushing.
You can use the brass inserts I've already done it. I tightened the screw down to where it met the insert the backed off 1/2 turn.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:47 PM
Super_Dave

ORIGINAL: ofna2005

hey guys ,
must admit the 8 is a good car . first of all thanks super dave for those ideas car felt a lot better . the back felt planted . three runs and servos are still good so far so good . only issue i find my self is the shock piston and screw came apart from shock shaft in the middle of a good race . now we need parts, any suggestions a fix for that problem ? outside of that the car is great handles the ruff stuff good and jumps so easy . thanks again guys keep the advice coming .
How exactly did your shock piston come apart [sm=confused.gif]? Did you thread lock the screw into the shock shaft?

KyJoe what servos are you using? The brass inserts that come with the futaba servos are way to small for the stock servo mounting screws to go through. Unless you're using the skinny screws that come with the servo in which case they would be to small to thread into the mounts.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:01 PM
NUTNDUN

ORIGINAL: ofna2005

hey guys ,

Make sure you clean the shock shaft threads and the shock piston screw really good before ya loc-tite em and also make sure you set the droop screws to at least limit the shock from extending all the way out, if you don't the piston is the limiter and it will help it come undone. Don't ask me how I know....LOL

Old 01-01-2007, 11:33 PM
tonytiger

heres a shot of the tonytiger 8ight
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16549.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	588739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23951.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	588740  
Old 01-01-2007, 11:39 PM
claudacio

What tires are you running on there tony?

Edit: Looks serious by the way, nice work. How about some topless shots?
Old 01-01-2007, 11:51 PM
NUTNDUN

Any of you guys ever heard anything good or bad on the omega/picco comp buggy engine, it has a silver block and purple head on it. The LHS had one left over from a while ago and it is brand new in the box and I picked it up for $165. I think my os rg is just about to give up the ghost. The LHS also has a left over hyper 21 8 port race with boost chamber for $220 new in the box. I was debating taking the other one back and getting the 8 port. I need something with a little more top end.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:51 PM
FoamyVictim

you can get o-rings for the bottom that are a tad thicker and smaller , you can get rid of the dust boot all together.. i have ran 5 races on them now and they are not even slightly leaking....
Where did you find the o-rings? I've been looking for some.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:13 AM
tmperformance

tko competition developement 1.25 for 4 of them . put the tko's on the inside and the stock o ring outside. [link]http://www.tkocompetitiondev.com[/link] oh and try the m2c shoes and the ceramic clutch bearings also been runnin them for awhile with no problems. shoes come in light med. and heavy. light and medium work very well and wear is about 3 race nights.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:17 AM
tmperformance

oh yeah th guy who wanted a good motor for under 200.00 rb concepts econo 3 port modified by tntmods really screams. dyno results were very comparable to the p5x with a smoother delivery. 159.99 for the motor and call tony at www.tntmods,com for a mod quote. i'll be runnin one at the losi race.

the 21bf engine works well also but engine life is pretty short.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:46 AM
FoamyVictim

Well, I was gonna order the o-rings from TKO, but they only except PayPal, and I'm not cool with that... Is there anywhere else to get them?

What experience told you the 21 BF lives a short life? I run one, and have over 2 gallons through it. It's been a great motor with no signs of premature wear...
Old 01-02-2007, 05:19 PM
monster72

hi there well ive ran my losi 8 now for 1/2 a gallon of fuel and ive not come a cross any problems with my shocks leaking (i greesed myn as i put them to gether ) , up to now it seems foltless but il let ou no how it goes after i race it this week end [>:]
Old 01-02-2007, 05:24 PM
Losi8racer

ORIGINAL: FoamyVictim

Well, I was gonna order the o-rings from TKO, but they only except PayPal, and I'm not cool with that... Is there anywhere else to get them?

What experience told you the 21 BF lives a short life? I run one, and have over 2 gallons through it. It's been a great motor with no signs of premature wear...
email TKO i bet ya they take other payemtns aswell..

asfar as the o-rings go, let me ask my buddy , he gave me 8 of them , (you only need to replace the bottom though) i will ask him from who he got them... when you put them in they will be VERY tight..it takes about 20 min of driving to loosen them up a bit.... i thought they were too tight when i just put them in , but my buddy said that was normal..and they would take some run time to wear in...
Old 01-02-2007, 05:42 PM
Losi8racer

TIP :

I have seen several shock bladders being punctured at my local track mainly due to a sideways landing where the suspension fully compresses upfront and the shock piston actually punctures the bladder, get a small o-ring and put it on the shock shaft before you put on the ball-end.. they will limit the travel slightly when fully compressed but it will save you shock bladders...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.