Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Getting back in buggies, need some help!

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Getting back in buggies, need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 06:17 PM
MT RC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting back in buggies, need some help!

Hi guys, I used to be really into RC nitro cars about 2 years ago, and was into them until last year. My first one was a used Mammoth, which broke constantly. My next was a few different rock crawlers. My last one was an OFNA Comp. It was fast, and kinda durable, but it was just sluggish. So I sold it and never bought a new one.

Well now, I am looking at all of these new buggies that look great and are pretty cheap. I am looking to get into racing a little, definatly not serious though. So I would like something that will hold up better than the Comp I had! I would like to buy a kit and build it myself, but it has to stay under $550 or so. If it MUST go over, then I guess there may be exceptions... but not likely. So I am looking to buy a nice kit for under $550 total.

So I am wondering basically what is a good kit, what is a good engine, and what is a good radio all for under $550.

Help me out guys! Thanks!
Old 11-17-2006, 07:00 PM
Super_Dave

Default RE: Getting back in buggies, need some help!

You have a slim chance of getting a complete buggy for that little unless you buy some used stuff. Even a Hyper 7 TQ kit which is $200 would run you up to about $600 if you want cheap equipment that still doesn't lack on quality. The hyper 7 TQ is a good buggy and its very durable but for racing it wont quite keep up with the newer race buggies (it also depends on how good the competition is around there).

I would go for the hyper 8. The buggy has top knotch quality and its deffinatly a race winning buggy. The kit which is unfortunatly 80% built is about $400 which is the cheapest of the newer race buggies. A futaba 2PL is a great radio for the price ($80), Sportwerks .26 engine ($140), Futaba S3305 analog steering servo ($35... everyone else will tell you digital which is $80+ but I seriously race with this servo and it does great), Futaba S3010 throttle/brake servo ($25). Receiever pack (about $30), starter box (about $80), and of course you need the accessories like glow ignitor, a set of tires sooner or later, glow plugs ect. Total cost would be $790. You can get the RTR which is $500 but I have no idea how good the equipment in it is. The hyper 7 TQ kit is still a good buy and its $200 cheaper and just as durable as the hyper 8 but it can't quite compete against the hyper 8 on the track (depending on the driver of course).

The cen matrix looks good too. Two people here got the RTRs when they first came out and they had durability issues but thats is suposivly fixed now. The buggy handled the track great but it didn't take to the bumps as well as the other buggies did. We did drill out the piston holes and it did a lot better though. The first release left a bad taste in everyones mouth around here so no ones running them now.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:58 PM
MT RC

Yeah, I see now. If a kit will be more, than maybe I should get a RTR? I am not like a serious racer or anything... Just want something thats fast, agile, and doesn't break! Although, i would really like to build on myself...

What about the Mayhem? And I know you mentioned the Hyper 8 RTR, but what do you think about it? Thanks!

Any other cheaper kits?
Old 11-17-2006, 08:32 PM
Hincappe

hyper 8

towerhobbies.com has them cheapest anywhere
Old 11-17-2006, 09:13 PM
MT RC

I know, but they are just too much at the moment. I cannot be spending $750 on a buggy because I do not need one that good since I am not a serious racer. Just for fun.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:42 PM
Super_Dave

The mayhem comes with the Sportwerks engine which rivals a lot of the high dollar racing .21s in power so you deffinatly wont need a new engine untill it blows up (mine last about 6 gallons). The radio that comes in the mayhem never needs upgrading either and the servos are decent and can be used for a while but I'd recommend upgrading them because JR servos aren't to reliable. I have driven a mayhem that handles our local track great but I'd still take the hyper 8 over it for racing.

Ofna usually puts crappy engines and especially electronics in their RTRs. Actually if they use the same electronics as they do in their other RTRs then I'd recommend replacing them right out of the box. The mayhem and the hyper 8 are both very durable so thats not an issue.

The turmoil comes with all of the great stuff that the mayhem does but its supost to handle track great as well. I never got to see or drive a turmoil here at my local track but I have seen some decent race results in pro ranks.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:46 PM
Hincappe

ORIGINAL: MT RC

I know, but they are just too much at the moment. I cannot be spending $750 on a buggy because I do not need one that good since I am not a serious racer. Just for fun.

pay cheap now, end up paying more in long run for parts.

you want cheap? get a 7.5rtr sports. its $300 with everything, just add fuel and batteries. but its real crap
Old 11-18-2006, 12:18 AM
giddyuperic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try
Old 11-18-2006, 01:49 AM
mozzzy_2000

you want cheap? get a 7.5rtr sports. its $300 with everything, just add fuel and batteries. but its real crap
You reckon the inferno is crap hey? geez you can do a lot worse!

the himoto torpeda pro is great value for money. I have one & its very tough and comes with many features that are aftermarket hopups on higher priced models.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:38 AM
Da Smak
Banned

Hyper 7 PBS.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:46 AM
MT RC

Ok well its down to the Mayhem, the Turmoil, and the Hyper 7 PBS I guess. Which do you guys think is the best out of those?
Old 11-18-2006, 10:56 AM
mozzzy_2000

mayhem. heard great things about that one. Heard many complaints here in Oz with the Hyper 7PBS. Having said that though I have not run any of those so its heresay. But I have not heard one thing bad about the mayhem.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:58 PM
Hincappe

ORIGINAL: MT RC

Ok well its down to the Mayhem, the Turmoil, and the Hyper 7 PBS I guess. Which do you guys think is the best out of those?

mayhem and turmoil, i think they are real good descriptions of those "buggies" hahaha

should of just called them "crap" and "crappier"
Old 11-18-2006, 02:06 PM
MT RC

Ok, that did not help at all. How about you give me a reason why you do not like them rather than just say they are crap (which I have heard opposite from everybody).
Old 11-18-2006, 02:33 PM
Hincappe

i already told you. a hyper8.

but but but its too expensive.

but but but you will be ppaying more in long run with extra parts..

look if you can afford an extra $200 inially for a kit, then u can't affor a 1/8buggy. the main cost is NOT the initial buggy. its the running cost (tires clutch, fuel, plug) and maintenance. probably works out to be around $50 an hour for bashing and $100 an hour if you race.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:20 PM
MT RC

If I cant afford an extra $200 for a kit, so what? I already told you that I am not a serious racer, I just want something decent for some fun at the track. I do not need a super fast, amazing buggy. Just something for some fun that can kinda keep up with the others.

So think about it before you post something like that.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:36 PM
Super_Dave

There is nothing wrong with the turmoil. I didn't get to see one yet but the mayhem had great quality parts especially for the price and I wouldn't expect anything less from the turmoil. You get a MUCH better engine and electronics package from the turmoil as well so you don't need to upgrade them like you would the hyper 7 RTR. With the hyper 7 you would atlease need to change the servos but I'd highly recommend replacing the radio as well. I'm pretty sure the hyper 8 RTR has the same dirt cheap electronics.

The mayhem can handle track well but it needs quite a bit of setting up and even then it wont be quite as good as the hyper 8 on track. I can't say anything about how the turmoil handles track right out of the box.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:55 PM
blowpopracer

I would consider a sportwerks. I dont have one but RTR with the spektrum radio sounds very nice. If u race having the spektrum system is very nice. I dont know much about the sportwerks but If I was looking for decent equip at a decent price that is probably the way I would go.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:59 PM
MT RC

Wow, thank you very much! That is the kind of post I have been looking for. So I guess I will try and fork out some more cash or get the turmoil.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:30 PM
fourwheels0
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mt rc here's a few pic's of my buggy that's for sale. there is over $1500 in everything. if you want more pic's let me know.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86286.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	562740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82471.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	562741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68143.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	562742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au57478.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	562743  
Old 11-18-2006, 10:06 PM
trackman

mt the mayhem or turmoil will be a huge improvement over your comp. or step up even further
with something like fourwheels buggy.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:00 AM
axisrc

i would go with the turmoil mt rc all i have heard was good things about the turmoil and plus it comes with a really good engine the sportwerks .26 or .21 im not sure both there both really good engine. it is your choice
mike
Old 11-19-2006, 07:35 AM
jonnymac

The turmoil is the best all round package in RTR. The buggy is pretty good. the radio is superb and the engine is faster than about any other RTR engine. The other way to go is to get a kit like the hyper 7 TQ and buy a JR XS3 radio (synthesized FM) and a good budget engine like an SH .21 (same as the engine in the turmoil just rebranded) You should get that for $500 ish. You will however need to get a good steering servo and a 6v receiver pack amongst other things. I stripped the sterring servo within a week and invested in a Sanwa ERG VZ one which is superb.
hope this helps
Old 11-19-2006, 10:45 AM
MT RC

Would the Hyper 7 TQ kit be better than the Turmoil?
Old 11-19-2006, 10:52 AM
mozzzy_2000

I'd go the sportwerks if you ask me. The guys at my LHS were telling me the otherday that they are a great RTR and yet again I read above that the sportwerks engines is one of the fastest around.

Yea good advice above too. Grab a hump pack & upgrade the steering servo to a much stronger one and you should be laughing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.