Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Starter box questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 05:42 PM
nayslayer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter box questions

Hi, im kind of a newb when it comes to some stuff, well here is my question. I have a matrix pro and I'm getting a werks b3 engine for it. What do i need to keep in mind, or need to use a starter box. Do most of them work with buggies, or are they generally model specific? I don't want to spend too much, but i did see a ofna stainless steal starter box part #OFN10246. Any help would be appreciated, thanks for your time
Old 01-16-2007, 06:13 PM
JB COMP

Default RE: Starter box questions

I thank you should go with the ofna 10250, it has a hi power 12v motor in it and its direct drive. so no belts, no small motor in this stater box.
So you get plenty of power to start hi compression 21.

Heres a few links to place that have this starter box
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...50&FVPROFIL=++

http://www.rcplanet.com/ofna_1_8_starter_49658_prd1.htm

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/5429
Old 01-16-2007, 10:56 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I use the Ofna chrome top and really like it just like JB COMP recommended. I all so like the fact it has the 12-volt high torque motor so I can use any 12-volt batterywiht the jumper wires I made up. You should be able to set it up to work on any buggy.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:59 AM
nayslayer

thanks for the help guys, great to have a resource like here. I went with the starter suggested. How do you charge the gel battery on a normal charger.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:07 AM
46u

Like I said I use a 12 volt motorcycle battery and cables I made as I all ready had the battery but to answer you question.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL353&P=V
Old 01-17-2007, 07:24 PM
nayslayer

thanks, So you can't charge the gel cell with my battery charger i use to charge all my other batteries?
Old 01-18-2007, 09:23 AM
PleXo

never use roto starts or starter boxs

with a pull start, every pull you know exactly whats going on with the engine, you know when its flooded, when it needs primed, everything, 2nd sense basicly

starter boxs u dont know jack

if its flooded, and u try turning the engine over with pull start, all u do is break pull cord and maybe the glow plug, BUT with roto start/starter box you can bend the con rod, close the 1mm pipe inside it which will stop oil going down to the bearing which will... YOU GUESSED IT have a nice repair cost
Old 01-18-2007, 10:34 AM
46u

Evidently some have never used a starter box or do not know how to use it. How many big races has any one gone to that the racers use pull starters? One thing one way bearing creates some drag on the engine no matter how little as well as the weight of the starting system. As any racer will tell you every little me helps. Yes I use pull starters on some of my vehicles and do not have much problem but an all out racer for the most part run starter boxes. I have all so been at races with my race savage that has a pull starter and could not race do to the pull starter breaking. But what ever makes a person happy.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:27 PM
PleXo

was in local hobby shop today(was where they told me about why not to use rotostarts etc) they gave me wrong pull start yesturday (i broke mine) and soemone came in an was looking a fuel filter, he was talking to me ask how i broke pull start etc lol anyways he said i should convert to a rotostart, and as long as ur not stupid enough to keep trying to start it and you loosen the glow plug when starting it youll not have any problems

im just wondering what should i go for? i wouldnt mind a starter box, but they are big and heavy = bad for me, id prefer something smaller
Old 01-18-2007, 04:21 PM
46u

Go to the Savage forum and type in Roto starter and see some of the problems with them. I wish you could use a starter box on a Savage but cannot as the way the chassis is made so on my Race Savage I have a pull starter with over 8 gallons of run time and only had a problem with the pull starter twice. If all you do is bash then anything is fine but if you race get a starter box.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:48 PM
nayslayer

ORIGINAL: nayslayer

thanks, So you can't charge the gel cell with my battery charger i use to charge all my other batteries?
lol, whats the thinking on this?
Old 01-18-2007, 06:14 PM
dxm2

Roto starts are a great idea, but they still rely on backplates that can never be made air tight and a one way bearing that will wear out. No thanks.

To charge a gell cell you just need a 12 volt DC power supply that delivers at less than 1 amp. I have a 600 ma 12 volt supply from an old network hub. Works great. I leave it connected over night and then don't need to charge it again for two weeks or more.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:17 PM
Rotorranch

Not sure what "other batteries" you mean, but if you're talking about your r/c car battery charger, probably not. You need a 12 volt battery charger. A small automotive charger will work, or you can get a hobby type overnight wall charger.

Rotor
Old 01-18-2007, 08:27 PM
nayslayer

thanks rotor for the info.. lol Too bad i didn't order the charger with all the the other stuff...