Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

XRAY TQ Versus XRAY EC !! wow

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 02:29 AM
nav2cute

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XRAY TQ Versus XRAY EC !! wow

Guys...whats the difference?? like im thinkin of upgrading my TQ to the EC what should i get??? i mean is it just the shocks, Diff, and Lower main chassis....?? a little help
Old 03-23-2007, 04:38 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: XRAY TQ Versus XRAY EC !! wow

Hey Nav, in my opinion you do not need to. The TQ is already a true competition level platform. The EC is basically an update (I admit it does have quite a few changes, however you have to ask yourself if you as a club are going to notice the difference at all). The thing to do is to wait until you break or bend the parts that differ, and then replace them.

Here's a list of the differences...

Front arms and steering blocks (for improved downtravel and steering throw) - Well, the XB8 never lacked steering or downtravel. IMO, not necessary.

Large bore shocks - This is a total mystery to me, as xray already had the best shocks in the game. Again, not necessary, but nice.

Same length centre shafts - I guess to make buying spares cheaper, the material and strength has not changed, may have a miniscule effect on the rotating mass of the drivetrain.

Better braces - Fine, this is one thing that you probably will bend/break at some point, so like I say just replace them as and when...

7075 Radio tray - Another mystery...the carbon one is lighter, and not exactly under stress. Given the choice I'll keep the carbon one, thanks.

Longer shocks - OK, er, fine...

Improved pivot balls - Yes, definitely worth having, better pivot balls are always welcome, not that the originals weren't superb.

The other changes are slight to insignificant.

You see what I'm getting at? If you were buying an XB8 for the first time, then sure get an EC, but there are very few things on the EC that I would want specifically to change. Just the pivot balls and braces. The carbon radio tray from the original xb8, I would change on the EC.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:45 AM
SManMTB

ORIGINAL: nav2cute

Guys...whats the difference?? like im thinkin of upgrading my TQ to the EC what should i get??? i mean is it just the shocks, Diff, and Lower main chassis....?? a little help
The major difference it that the EC has a longer chassis. The change is the same as Kyosho did with their chassis going from SP1 to SP2.
That's why the new center shafts are equal in length.

If it changes the handling as it did on the SP1 to SP2 upgrade I would say it's worth it. That made a HUGE difference.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:50 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: SManMTB

The major difference it that the EC has a longer chassis. The change is the same as Kyosho did with their chassis going from SP1 to SP2.

If it changes the handling as it did on the SP1 to SP2 upgrade I would say it's worth it. That made a HUGE difference.
That's a very good point, I totally forgot about that, and it's the major difference, as you say...I guess time will tell whether or not it makes the same kind of difference as it did in the kyosho...
Old 03-23-2007, 09:00 AM
SManMTB

ORIGINAL: foxy42

That's a very good point, I totally forgot about that, and it's the major difference, as you say...I guess time will tell whether or not it makes the same kind of difference as it did in the kyosho...
I frequrnt the tiltyard forums and there's a guy who's been driving every brand on the market including XB8TQ and tested the new EC. He's says it's like night and day. The new EC ran circles around the TQ without even trying hard.

I think this sounds awesome. If I get a new car the EC will be on my list for sure. I still got a brand new 8ight on the shelf collecting dust.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:06 AM
nav2cute

So i should get the longer main chassis if anything! .... i wont need anything else to do that upgrade im guessing?
Old 03-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Foxy

I suspect you would at least need the new center diff parts and you will definitely need the new equal length shafts. Changing the chassis, as you can imagine affects the car's geometry dramatically.

EDIT: Besides, it's yet to be confirmed if the longer chassis will offer any noticeable benefit except to a hardcore expert driver, whose driving style it may suit... The kyosho was a quite different car. I'd wait to see if I was you...
Old 03-23-2007, 02:34 PM
nav2cute

EH Whatever.....im not interested, i decided that imma run the TQ for this season since i just bought it and once price drops at the end of the season for parts im gonna buy the upgraded parts and do the change over in the winter ..... that way i have a different buggy now and ... pretty much a new one for next year ..... plus MARKETING MARKETING MARKETING..... do and read articles and ads for the TQ and you will be convinced that its the biggest and baddest, and once you read about the EC you think it is! ....lol at the end of the day i realized that its the driver .....BE CONTEMPT WITH WHAT YOU HAVE

thanxs for all the advice you guys i will post pics in a few days .... TQ with O.S .21 VSPEC AND ofna .53 pipe
Old 03-23-2007, 02:39 PM
livthemoment

EC does NOT have a longer chassis. The engine has been moved back, but the chassis is the SAME length.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:57 PM
Da Smak
Banned

ORIGINAL: livthemoment

EC does NOT have a longer chassis. The engine has been moved back, but the chassis is the SAME length.
Quite correct LTM.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:59 PM
Foxy

I still got a brand new 8ight on the shelf collecting dust.
Best place for it!! lol! J/K...

Thanks for the correction livthemoment, I also thought that these two statements (from the xray website) would mean a longer chassis...now I read them again, I don't know why...oh well! They confused me with all the other things they've lengthened (shock towers, shocks, etc.). lol!

• New chassis with improved weight distribution making the car much more stable easier to drive with more steering

• New same-length center drive shafts, front & rear

Obviously not. Still, it's interesting that the weight distribution changes had such a dramatic effect on the handling, if indeed it 'runs circles' around the TQ. Since the XB8 was already more than competitive with the other top buggies, it should be head and shoulders above the competition now...
Old 03-23-2007, 03:14 PM
nav2cute

I called xray U.S.A today and they claim that it is a longer chassis[&:] so i dunno whats true lol...but atleast i have the security of knowing that if i did one upgrade in 6mnths or so i can do it for about $200 - $250
Old 03-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Foxy

I called xray U.S.A today and they claim that it is a longer chassis[&:] so i dunno whats true lol...but atleast i have the security of knowing that if i did one upgrade in 6mnths or so i can do it for about $200 - $250
After checking on the Xray site, I'm pretty sure it's not a longer chassis. The length of the car is unchanged from the XB8R through the TQ up to the EC, all three models have the exact same overall length, that pretty much proves it for me. Unfortunately, only the EC actually quotes a specific chassis length.

XB8TQ specs: http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/pro...e=XRAY%20XB8TQ

XB8EC specs: http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/pro...RAY%20XB8%20EC
Old 03-23-2007, 03:29 PM
SManMTB

ORIGINAL: livthemoment

My bad then. Engine placement is still important so I'm interested to hear about more feedback when it's out to us mortals and not only factory drivers.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:47 AM
sh0wtime

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kyosho had to change the weight distribution on the SP1 as it was a lemon [:'(]

they went back to a similar layout to the MP7.5

as for the new XRAY chassis it does work on most tracks & it was in testing for over a year with mixed results, you'll still see the team guys going back to the original chassis at some meetings
Old 03-24-2007, 07:04 AM
Hincappe

3 MONTHS AND XRAY GOT A NEW MODEL ALREADY. [&o]