Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Looking for a new engine in the $200ish range... which meet my criteria?

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Looking for a new engine in the $200ish range... which meet my criteria?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 08:25 PM
flatlander_14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a new engine in the $200ish range... which meet my criteria?

So I'm in need of a new motor. I'd like an engine that has the most "power under the curve" or is fairly strong all around, not just a top end screamer or a stump puller. It's gotta be a .21 so I can stay legal at my local track. I'd also -like- to get at least 6 gallons out of it before needing a piston and sleeve. I'd also like something that isn't a pain to tune. I'm not new to nitro or anything, just need a good motor

My track is pretty large, most of it is technical and really needs mostly low to mid-range power for jumping doubles right out of corners etc etc. There is one big straight as well so I don't want something that will just fall on it's face at high rpms.

I have also recently started bashing more often as I only go to the track to race once to twice a month. A bunch of guys at work have gotten into off-road nitro and we've been hanging out after work to run them.

Here are some motors my LHS has in stock:

- RB S7 (heard nothing but good about them... last a while, great power, etc) $230
- Dynamite Platinum .21 (haven't heard anything about it... anybody got info?) $200
- TOP .21 (don't know much of anything about it as well) $200
- Werks B7 (again know nothing) $230
- GO .21 7 port (heard good stuff about the 5 port version) $220

And some others I'm considering as well:

- RB S5 (I figure would have more low-end balls than the S7... how much top end would it sacrifice though in comparison?)
- Werks B3 (heard good stuff about it... does it lack top-end?)
- GO .21 5 port (I've heard tons of great stuff about it, but NOBODY has it in stock!)
- Axe Motor Rossi .21 (haven't heard much of anything of it... just the very appealing description of it on A-main's website)

I've also thought about getting a TTR PRO .21R for like $110 just to port myself. I figure it's a cheap engine so I wouldn't feel so bad about modding the sleeve and crank. Any of the $200+ engines I'd be hesitant to try anything.

I've got the stock tuned pipe that came with my Hyper 8 that I plan on running for a little while... I will upgrade to whatever is appropriate when I can though.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:41 PM
TGreg

Default RE: Looking for a new engine in the $200ish range... which meet my criteria?

most deffinately S5... i asked this same quetsion a while ago, and everyone said teh s7 was too much top end and they wished they had more bottom. s5 is good. im either getting that or the Novarossi N21BF or ***ever. look into that.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:46 PM
1/8racer

Default RE: Looking for a new engine in the $200ish range... which meet my criteria?

i have the s7.......and until it has had like another gallon i think ill like it more ...........but i say get the s5
Old 03-25-2007, 10:24 PM
dryvr

Picco P-7R EVO 2. It comes with a standard and turbo button plus three carb inserts. Do a little research, you can't go wrong with this one.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:08 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

http://www.stsmicroengines.com/index...products_id=10

http://www.stsmicroengines.com/index...products_id=11

http://www.stsmicroengines.com/index...products_id=27

I have the STS D21B and has been a great engine.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:32 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My S5 is mental, and getting crazier every time out, I swear it's faster than some much more expensive engines (or it's ME that's faster ). I've mentioned it a few times, but after completing the run in, I had to adjust the throttle exponential on my 3PK, as the car was accelerating out of control. Nice engine for the $, really. On short technical tracks, I swear there's no difference at all between the S5 and a $500 engine. Only the driver. As for top end, well, it's a low end motor, and my track is short, so I can't really say. It's more than fast enough down our short(ish) straight though.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:27 AM
flatlander_14

Cool...

Anybody know how the S5 compares to the GO 5 port and the Werks B3/B7?
Old 03-26-2007, 10:28 AM
1/8racer

the go....is a go.......great motor....just make sure you get their updated carb....and run a top end pipe on it
Old 03-26-2007, 11:01 AM
markhat250

I have a Dynamite Platinum .21 in my Losi 8ight Buggy and really love it. But I'm a newbie and have nothing to compare it to other than I can tell when I am racing others that it definitley has some juice to it.

I am buying a Losi 8ight Truggy tomorrow and thought they are nice enough to invest in another Dynamite motor!! I got the DP .28 bigger Truggy motor though for the Truggy. Picked it up last night off amainhobies.com for $175. In my Buggy I have a Jammin JP-3 pipe, but I opted for the DP pipe for my truggy. It was only $48 vs. the JP-3's $79. I'm convinced without even trying it that I'll be happy.

Although I am new, I consider myself to be an ok driver an will get better quick. Unless I was a serious pro, I don't think 90% of us will use that "extra" bit of juice that the more expensive motors are supplling. That's why I opted to save my cash and go with DP.

For the money it's on the lower end, but I really think it's a lot of motor for the cash and and very reliable so far. If I didn't really think it was super nice I wouldn't have had the faith to buy another. That's my newbie 2 cents.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:08 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't speak for the GO or the Werks, but I can tell you that you can't go wrong with an RB.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:19 PM
MugenSickly

my experiences the RB's are great engines. They just take a little longer to really break in or loosten up. My other engines broke in and loosened up about 1/2 gallon, to 3/4, my RB took a gallon and a half, but once it did it was ballistic. I have a ninja now, and cant say enough good things about it.

One engine worth looking into, is the axial, for the price.

The other is the nova 21bf, but since ppl found out they rock, they have gotten steadily more expensive.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:02 PM
RBMike

I'm an RB fan for life so I would never argue against one. I can tell you the works is pretty good as well but nothing will outlast an RB if you treat it right.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:26 PM
flatlander_14

I know I can be confident going with an RB... it's just the Werks and GO engines seem very appealing and I'd like to see what the hype is about

1-1/2 gallons!?[X(]

How long could it last treated right? I'd hope 8+ gallons with a break-in that long!

I think an S5 + a top end pipe(JP2 or 086) or an S7 + a low end pipe(JP1 or 053) would be a good combo to get a strong and broad power curve. But does anyone have any experience with those? Which would likely be better overall? I figure the S5 would be more fuel efficient, but that's all I can speculate.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:29 PM
SManMTB

Check what pipe RB advice you to use.

Mating a high-end pipe to a low-end engine (and the other way around) is not always a great idea.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:41 PM
flatlander_14

Thanks, I just stumbled upon the RB forum so I'll have to utilize the hell out of the search button over there

Now I'd still like to hear about any of the Werks/STS/GO engines[&:]
Old 03-26-2007, 06:47 PM
Kemo

if go is made by the same company that "vertex" engines are, dont even consider getting one. they are junk. Take my advice after owning one. I'll be sticking with STS.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:45 PM
46u

The problem is they make so many good engines now and I do not have the money for at least one of each. [sm=cry_smile.gif] Guess I will stick with STS as it has done all I have asked and more.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:03 PM
1/8racer

if you are running on a big track the s7 fo sho.....but short get the s5
Old 03-26-2007, 09:10 PM
flatlander_14

Well it's kind of in between... but there is more emphasis on the technical sections than straight areas... I have a feeling an S5 with a good pipe/header will be in order...

Apparently the S5 w/ RB 2045 pipe and 98mm header is a good combo for what I feel I need. Not to mention about 10 min of runtime(supposedly)
Old 03-26-2007, 09:30 PM
what_stanger

you could get the 92mm manifold and get a tad more top out of it. If you're worried about it not having enough for the straight. It might be enough to balance it out. ???

I've got the ws7 and a short manifold (92) and I feel its got enough low end grunt. If you tune the clutch to the track/engine you can get away with a top end motor in tight corners. Its nice not having it go ballistic out of control.......not that it doesn't sometimes though!

RB is a great engine. I'd say get an S5. Also the novarossi plus 21-5 at our track seems to haul balls. Although its a bit higher in the budget, something to think about.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:46 PM
flatlander_14

I think I will settle on the S5 then... I'll worry about getting a pipe after it's broken in and I can see how it performs with my Hyper 8 pipe.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:16 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: flatlander_14

Apparently the S5 w/ RB 2045 pipe and 98mm header is a good combo for what I feel I need. Not to mention about 10 min of runtime(supposedly)
I believe it as I get 10 minutes PLUS on my STS D21B with the STS 0403 pipe on a legal 125cc fuel tank with out a lot of extra fuel line.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:11 PM
1/8racer

you will be very pleased with the s5.....just break her in right......dont let it be too cold when at idle ......dont lean it out to get the heat up though.....just put foil around the head to get it up to like 140......then run it after like three tanks at idle kepp the temps at like 180......with only full throttle for only like a second.......

also these motors take a long time to break in........mine has a gallon on it and is not fully broken in
Old 03-27-2007, 09:54 PM
redfox03

I have the Werks B3, and if you want some low end, this motor has got it. great for short tracks, but it doesn't have that good of a top end. other than that, it's a great motor. oh yeah, the dynamite pipe is pretty good from what i've been hearing.